Thread Tools
Jun 25, 2013, 05:51 PM
Master of the figure 9
punkindrublik's Avatar
Scott,
Can you tell me if the transmitter stick base is hollow? I want to install sticks with switches and am wondering if there's any way to run the wires. Any info appreciated. Thanks!

Brian
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2013, 06:42 PM
working to the closest cm
jirvin_4505's Avatar

gvar display time on screen varying


Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard S
any information on how to suppress the GV notification screen would be valuable. I'm utilising GV's more and more (now using GV for aileron differential, which is updated in proportion to the amount of landing flapperon.. i.e the greater the landing flap movement the greater the amount of "up" flapperon for a given aileron input.

i set up a custom switch which is activated every time there is a change in the landing flaperon value and this is utilised a custom function which updates GV4 with that value which feeds the input to aileron differential (i.e. 100% landing flap = 100% differential)

unfortunatley this means that whenever the throttle stick is moving there is a screen showing me the GV value being updated, which is annoying except when debugging
Yes I find this anoying also but understand the need to view the gvar value if being externally manipulated.
I also have an issue with it displaying differently according to switch used to select.

Have posted issue and video on openrcforums...
http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=3701

and youtube

OpenTx Gvar sceen display issue (1 min 7 sec)


cheers Jeff
Jun 25, 2013, 08:50 PM
Registered User
scott page's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindrublik
Scott,
Can you tell me if the transmitter stick base is hollow? I want to install sticks with switches and am wondering if there's any way to run the wires. Any info appreciated. Thanks!

Brian
I removed the stick ends and it appears to be a solid 3mm shaft. Looks identical to Futaba 7C (because I don't have any others to compare with).
Jun 26, 2013, 12:16 AM
Registered User
Ok I see. Perhaps a checkbox (popup / no popup) in the GV parameters screen will fix your issue?
Jun 26, 2013, 12:46 AM
Master of the figure 9
punkindrublik's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page
I removed the stick ends and it appears to be a solid 3mm shaft. Looks identical to Futaba 7C (because I don't have any others to compare with).
Bummer. I'll have to do a search to see what I can find. Had some machined a few years back, might have to look into that again.

Thanks for lookin!
Jun 26, 2013, 12:55 AM
Registered User
scott page's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard S
any information on how to suppress the GV notification screen would be valuable. I'm utilising GV's more and more (now using GV for aileron differential, which is updated in proportion to the amount of landing flapperon.. i.e the greater the landing flap movement the greater the amount of "up" flapperon for a given aileron input.

i set up a custom switch which is activated every time there is a change in the landing flaperon value and this is utilised a custom function which updates GV4 with that value which feeds the input to aileron differential (i.e. 100% landing flap = 100% differential)

unfortunatley this means that whenever the throttle stick is moving there is a screen showing me the GV value being updated, which is annoying except when debugging
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrand35
Ok I see. Perhaps a checkbox (popup / no popup) in the GV parameters screen will fix your issue?

That sounds like a good solution to me. What do you think Richard?
Jun 26, 2013, 03:37 AM
Master of the figure 9
punkindrublik's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page
Additionally you may find that the sticks are a bit soft for your preference. I've not made the change yet, but I'm pretty sure that http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAEM7&P=7 will work great with the Taranis gimbals. I'll be doing that before this weekend and I'll report back.
How'd they work??
Jun 26, 2013, 04:27 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrand35
Ok I see. Perhaps a checkbox (popup / no popup) in the GV parameters screen will fix your issue?
Yes, that would be the ideal solution as for debugging my setups it is really useful to see GVARs being updated, but then in normal use on the field we can turn this off.

Thanks for looking into the problem
Jun 26, 2013, 05:13 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindrublik
Bummer. I'll have to do a search to see what I can find. Had some machined a few years back, might have to look into that again.

Thanks for lookin!
Multiplex Evo/Royal Pro sticks and gimbals are hollow to allow extra switches to be fitted, would that be an option to get some of those.
Jun 26, 2013, 10:00 AM
Registered User
scott page's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindrublik
How'd they work??
Installation of the Futaba HD springs was a little tricky, but just a coordination thing for my ham hands.
I'm waiting for an absence of wind or rain to find out for sure, but on the bench they feel much more substantial.
HOWEVER
I did something to the right gimbal and have a catch in it when I was messing around figuring stuff out. I need to open up the Tx and find where the catch is. I did entirely too much messing with it when making the video on how to change the throttle to the right stick and something is out of adjustment. If they were available I'd swap out for a new gimbal right now. rather than try to run down a grain of sand somewhere.
Jun 26, 2013, 11:24 AM
Registered User
Scott,

I posted this in the other Taranis thread but I guess you never saw it:

Firstly, thanks for all the great work on the videos etc!

I was wondering if you have any plans to share a copy of your eepe file with all the voice configuration etc that you have done? (custom switches etc)

I think it would be a great resource to have available for anyone new to OpenTX and the Taranis from the point of view of learning, getting up and running faster and really highlighting the capabilities of the transmitter and OpenTX.

The general model template you have with the basic voice, throttle hold switch and telemetry set up would be really useful to not have to create from scratch.

Also, is there a general repository of model configurations somewhere?
Jun 26, 2013, 11:50 AM
Registered User
scott page's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul4477
Scott,

I posted this in the other Taranis thread but I guess you never saw it:

Firstly, thanks for all the great work on the videos etc!

I was wondering if you have any plans to share a copy of your eepe file with all the voice configuration etc that you have done? (custom switches etc)

I think it would be a great resource to have available for anyone new to OpenTX and the Taranis from the point of view of learning, getting up and running faster and really highlighting the capabilities of the transmitter and OpenTX.

The general model template you have with the basic voice, throttle hold switch and telemetry set up would be really useful to not have to create from scratch.

Also, is there a general repository of model configurations somewhere?
I've not settled on a custom function / custom switch setup yet. I get one done, and then after flying think of changes I'd like to make. I actually dumped everything and started again from scratch a few days ago.

As for model repository -- I'm not sure how that will work as the model setup is dependent upon the mechanical setup. Additionally, some like considerable amount of Expo and use switches like they are running the space shuttle, and others fly no expo and no rates at all. Hosting that sort of thing is definitely beyond my capabilities, but openrcforums might have something.

Back to my functions setup. I don't want sounds to be activated until I have throttle active as well, so all my sounds are dependent upon a custom switch that simply uses F^ AND logic -- as F^ = throttle activated. This is the current setup or the Dymanic-S that I'm going to use for the vario tests.
The only sounds I'm using at this time are switch reports. I've not done much with the telemetry on the Taranis yet as the airframes I've been flying are pretty crowded and I am using the K.I.S.S. method ... taking things one step at a time.
You also see that I'm using the "C" switch as my primary sound control switch - up is background music, middle is pause, down is vairo.

Don't know if this helps any.

I've been slowed up because I have spent a week (literally) cleaning my shop and I'm still not done. Added 40 14" x 27" drawers with sections for virtually everything under the sun. Still sorting everything under the sun which was in piles, buckets, and boxes all over two rooms.
Jun 26, 2013, 12:21 PM
Registered User
scott page's Avatar

Stick Ends


Ok, I'm not sure if I'm going to keep them, but had to share these.
Jun 26, 2013, 12:35 PM
Snipe the Skies!
snipeworm's Avatar
Thread OP
Hahaha, I can visualize you holding those things with fists.... Like a 2 year old eating cheerios! Hahaha Maybe if you are controlling a crane!
Jun 26, 2013, 02:03 PM
Registered User
scott page's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipeworm
Hahaha, I can visualize you holding those things with fists.... Like a 2 year old eating cheerios! Hahaha Maybe if you are controlling a crane!
But the bling of the cut glass "gem" on the end is just irresistible.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product FrSky Taranis - 16 Channels, Full Telemetry, RSSI Rotozuk Radios 54887 Today 12:58 AM
Discussion FrSky Taranis - Owners thread mud99 Radios 2155 Jul 02, 2019 12:03 AM
Question FrSky Taranis - assimilating web info mcshaz Radios 10 Sep 10, 2015 02:34 PM
Discussion is the FrSky Taranis next step after Turnigy 9X 9Ch tormodnt Radios 3 Nov 30, 2014 07:58 PM