FRSKY Taranis "How to" Thread - Page 51 - RC Groups
Jul 27, 2013, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham 65
Just be careful.
Always. I'm pretty comfortable taking things apart and modifying. I haven't owned a transmitter yet (25 years) that I haven't opened and changed something. I opened it up my Taranis and it's a simple bypass. A 5 minute solder job and that includes the iron warming up.
As I said in one of the other Taranis threads, I may be software stupid, but I'm hardware smart

Last edited by punkindrublik; Jul 27, 2013 at 05:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2013, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atckirk
I'm just finally adding custom splash screens and I noticed while checking my work that unused models have a different picture, I thought that would have used the splash screen until you programmed in a model pic. Is there a way to add something different to unused models without going in all the empty ones and specifying an image?

Thanks. Kirk.
Not just @ Kirk -- but everybody.

We need to be sure we use correct lingo so we understand each other.

Splash screen = the first screen seen when the Taranis starts. Is 64 x 212 4 bit
Model icon = The icon seen when particular model is chosen. 64 x 32 4 bit
Firmware = the OpenTx program itself.
EEPROM = Your settings and models
Flash = Updating Firmware
Burn = Updating EEPROM
Jul 27, 2013, 06:03 PM
NiMH sucks in cold weather. LiFe is better.
Jul 27, 2013, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMo
NiMH sucks in cold weather. LiFe is better.
It's hot enough outside. Lets avoid flame wars here. To each his/her own.
Jul 27, 2013, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page
It's hot enough outside. Lets avoid flame wars here. To each his/her own.
I'm not trying to argue that people shouldn't use NiMH, I was only stating that LiFe is better in cold weather.
Jul 27, 2013, 06:33 PM
Dean
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgorman23
Clearly I need to indulge in more Tarani' treads!
I read 'em all but unfortunately forget by the next day.........I hate this short term memory loss.
Jul 27, 2013, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page
It may take a couple minutes (or it seems that long) to recognize the radio after it's plugged in (already turned on and cleared of warning screens). If you open "computer" where you can see the different drives you should see (eventually) the TARANIS drive and another drive which is the SD card. If you don't see those try to right click and refresh.

Another thing to check is the "safely remove media" -- see attachment -- to see what it shows is recognized as being connected.
Scott,
I tried your suggestions and I can not see the Taranis even after refresh. I clicked on the safely remove media and all that I see is my DVD. I also went to the device manager and removed the Frsky Taranis mass storage driver. When I re-connected the USB cable from a turned on Taranis the driver was re-installed. But as usual I could not see the Taranis SD card
And my golf game today sucked
Jul 27, 2013, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm
If it works fine on an XP, and you were using an "older" computer and found it didn't work there, did you mean a Win98 or Win98SE type thing? If so, those are old 16 bit OS without the proper support for USB peripherals. I think all the drivers for the Taranis are at least 32-bit and 64-bit, none for the 16-bit Win98 system. In the older Win98 computers, you cannot even plug in a pendrive and expect it to work without the necessary drivers, which you cannot find anymore.

So, were you using a Win98-type system?

chewy
Chewy,
The computer I am having trouble with is a Windows 7 system.
Bill
Jul 27, 2013, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billg
Chewy,
The computer I am having trouble with is a Windows 7 system.
Bill
Are you using a USB 3 or USB 2 port? Problems have been reported with some USB 3 ports/chipset/driver combos. I couldn't flash firmware using my USB 3 port until I updated the driver file. A USB 2 port on the same computer worked fine.
Jul 27, 2013, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMo
I'm not trying to argue that people shouldn't use NiMH, I was only stating that LiFe is better in cold weather.
I don't disagree with ya. I was just jumping in before the inevitable rebuttal emerged.

Battery chemistry discussions tend to be more volatile than religion or politics. I've seen several threads turned into war zones. I've found that phrasing such as "I've had more success with..... in condition X" is a less volatile statement because it's sharing an observation rather than expressing a value. .
Jul 27, 2013, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlowe
Are you using a USB 3 or USB 2 port? Problems have been reported with some USB 3 ports/chipset/driver combos. I couldn't flash firmware using my USB 3 port until I updated the driver file. A USB 2 port on the same computer worked fine.
jonlowe,
I am using a USB 2 port.
Jul 28, 2013, 03:41 AM
12th Pursuit Squadron
Billg: when connecting Taranis to the computer via USB is the transmitter on or off. This is important as on or off define two different connection conditions.

Transmitter ON will connect as a USB Mass Storage Device with two drives. This will give you access to the model setups, voice files, telemetry logs and whatnot. With the transmitter on you will have access to the MSD drives (model setups etc.) but not be able to flash the OpenTx firmware.

Transmitter OFF will connect for flashing the firmware to upgrade the transmitter to a newer version. With the transmitter off you will NOT have access to the MSD drives, only the firmware flash.

Hope this helps.

J.P.
Jul 28, 2013, 04:11 AM
C9X Developer
It's also important that the transmitter has all warnings cleared...
Other way Mass Storage Device doesn't work...
Jul 28, 2013, 07:20 AM
Pretty soon I am going to try to connect my Taranus to my Win 7 computer. Do I follow the instructions in the manual? It lists an automatic and also a manual method for installing a driver.

I have read somewhere that it is possible to do flashing through Companion but this is not the "pure" Frsky version. Can someone explain this. Also, I read that there is a PDF about this stuff on Frsky website but I can't find it. Does anyone have a link? Thanks.
Jul 28, 2013, 07:59 AM
Look Up
Guys, it bugs the tar out of me when you use the wrong name. It is Taranis not Taranus.

u2builder, have you looked at your transmitter just below the screen?