Jun 21, 2013, 08:16 PM
Snipe the Skies!
Thread OP
OMG! Was that English? Haha, I have so much to learn! Like, what is a global variant?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 21, 2013, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipeworm
OMG! Was that English? Haha, I have so much to learn! Like, what is a global variant?
Written by Andre' in his manual: ( https://code.google.com/p/opentx/wiki/OpenTx_FrSky_EN )

Global variables are values that can be substituted to the usual number on every Weight, Offset, Differential or Expo setting. Their main use is to group the adjustment of several parameters that should have the same value. For example, aileron differential on a glider with 4 surfaces responding to the aileron function. When trying to find the sweet spot for the differential value, instead of having to repeatedly edit the differential value in 4 mixers, all 4 can be set to use a global variable (e.g. GV1 resp. -GV1, selected by a LONG press of the ENTER key on the Differential field). Then adjusting GV1 on this page is all it takes for all differentials to be updated. Global variables are also flight mode specific, so instead of having to create separate mixer lines with different values depending on the flight mode one can simply use a global variable with different values for each flight mode. This can significantly help simplifying the mixer screen by avoiding many duplicate entries. Global variables can also be adjusted in flight thanks to the Adjust GVx Custom Function that will be described later, and help adjusting those parameters that are easier to tweak in flight like D/R ratios, expos or again differential. The Global variables screen allows setting a name for each of the 5 available variables for conveniency, and seeing/setting the value each of them will have in each of the 9 flight modes.
Jun 21, 2013, 09:48 PM
Registered Adict
Maaan .....
I'm gonna be spending weeks...no hang on make that months.... learning the ins and outs of this software when my Taranis turns up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I thrive on learning which is why I love this hobby. It seems to be never-ending on the learning curve.

Tig
Jun 21, 2013, 10:21 PM
Snipe the Skies!
Thread OP
I second that! That's why I felt I should build this thread, I was gonna do it for myself anyways, thought I would share the info with the rest of you. With Scott to thank of course.
Jun 21, 2013, 10:24 PM
65 years of RC flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by tignmeg
Maaan .....
I'm gonna be spending weeks...no hang on make that months.... learning the ins and outs of this software when my Taranis turns up.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I thrive on learning which is why I love this hobby. It seems to be never-ending on the learning curve.
Tig
It took me years to understand the programming of my JR XP9303. This is far simpler.
Jun 22, 2013, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tignmeg
Maaan .....

Tig
The "ins and outs" for sure, as there are so many tools in this tool chest and seemingly infinite possibility. But setting up a model to fly is very simple. OpenTx reminds me of Photoshop. I've used Photoshop proficiently since 1992, but I'm always finding new tricks I can do by combining features in the tool chest it provides.
Jun 22, 2013, 11:22 AM

Kilrah's Explanation of FrSky Receiver protocols

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostcount=11304

Great summary of the different receiver protocols for FrSky. The Taranis operates in the XJT mode.
Jun 22, 2013, 11:40 AM
Snipe the Skies!
Thread OP
Awesome, good find Scott!
Jun 22, 2013, 12:30 PM

Taranis

Does this Tx offer the following feature on some or all of its channels?: Do the travel limits remain as set when the trim & or sub-trim point moves around center by operator control or do the limits both move in the direction of the trim change, effectively sliding the whole travel window? Every modern Tx I own slides the whole window but I'm looking for one that doesn't.

Richard
Jun 22, 2013, 02:12 PM
12th Pursuit Squadron
On Taranis the limits set in the servo limits menu are absolute. The servo will not go past the limit set. To make best use of this, I think that it might be good to set the hard limits here and adjust travel with the input rates. Of course this is a personal choice, so do it however it works best for you.

J.P.
Jun 22, 2013, 03:43 PM
Aurora has both EPA, which is relative, the trim slides the window, and travel limit, which is absolute, to avoid damages servo can produce if moving past a mechanical limit.
Jun 22, 2013, 04:22 PM

Trim vs. EPA Question

Thanks for the answers.

Richard
Jun 22, 2013, 10:34 PM
Registered Adict
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page
OpenTx reminds me of Photoshop. I've used Photoshop proficiently since 1992, but I'm always finding new tricks I can do by combining features in the tool chest it provides.
I'm could be in trouble then.
I've had Photoshop on my computer for months now and still avoid it because I can't drive it properly.

Tig
Jun 22, 2013, 10:41 PM
Snipe the Skies!
Thread OP
Nah, 90% of what people need is easily obtained.... the rest is tricky but generally is extra features not needed to enjoy the TX.
Jun 23, 2013, 05:48 PM
32 ft/sec^2 sucks
I thought I read somewhere where we could post files of models that we had already set up? I can't seem to find it. Be a great way to get a basic set up for a particular model in a default type scenario.

Quick Reply