FRSKY Taranis "How to" Thread - Page 3 - RC Groups
Jun 20, 2013, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipeworm
Nice! I am on my phone right now and for some reason the playbackk is in slow mo.... Gonna check it out when I get back to the laptop.
Be sure to convert the sounds to Mono or they will play at half speed.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 20, 2013, 01:48 AM

Data Logging -- anatomy of a crash

I must be a fool for posting this embarrassing graph, but it's the stick movement before and during a 10 second flight in which I avoided a crowd of people, but destroyed a warmliner. The thing I'm posting this for is to demonstrate how incredibly cool it is to have the stick movement logged. (It took me several days before I would look at them however). In this case the stick movement is pretty close to what I remember, but I made some interesting choices that I don't remember and feel chagrined.

In another log that I'm not posting -- I looked at my rudder and found I was using right rudder for most of the flight - but I never realized I was correcting -- it was just natural. Obviously that plane needs to be checked for trim before flying again.

I'm not using the data processing in c9x -- I'm using Excel because that's what I'm familiar with.
Jun 20, 2013, 03:26 AM
12th Pursuit Squadron
Interesting... Care to elaborate? Elevator was all over the place and aileron and rudder spent a fair chunk of time hard over. Oh, wait... This is a how to with the Taranis thread, not crash analysis...

J.P.
Jun 20, 2013, 10:56 AM
Snipe the Skies!
That's cool! We need to add a how to capture data log too the front page. I assume telemetry data can be logged as well. Rssi logs after a crash would be nice!
Jun 20, 2013, 02:40 PM
Quote:
That's cool! We need to add a how to capture data log too the front page. I assume telemetry data can be logged as well. Rssi logs after a crash would be nice!
All of the telemetry is logged, RSSI, and stuff I don't understand (yet). I just threw that graph up because it was very short and good example of analysis -- however some things - such as the big up elevator up pulse half way through don't tell the whole story without more info. The plane had rolled to it's right wingtip and was heading toward the flight line, the up elevator was to turn it away from the flightline, and the 1-2 second blast of throttle was to push it through that turn.

The reason for the crash was that I had rushed to use the Taranis and did not do a proper setup, so I had accidently used settings from wrong model -- consequently I had no aileron throw to counter the right roll. Keep in mind that it's 10 seconds from throttle up, and about 8 seconds flying. That was a fast terrifying episode -- but being able to look back at it later is very instructive -- however I won't analyze it here.

As for the taranis -- The screen capture below shows how I have the logs configured. When F-down is active the throttle is locked out and no logging. When F-up is active the logs start. Somehow it seems appropriate for me to have "F-up" being the switch to enable flying.
Jun 20, 2013, 03:28 PM
Snipe the Skies!
Hahaha!
Jun 20, 2013, 05:33 PM
Snipe the Skies!
Wow! Nice work on the audio files, nice quality and you have got almost all files I can think of covered. I will post them on the front page. Now we need a how to video about how to add them and assigning the sounds to situations.
Jun 20, 2013, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Wow! Nice work on the audio files, nice quality and you have got almost all files I can think of covered. I will post them on the front page. Now we need a how to video about how to add them and assigning the sounds to situations.
Yes we DO! Please Scott, think on it.

Are the Sammie sounds what you used on the Taranis or did it come with sounds already loaded on a micro SD?
Jun 20, 2013, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDmbThms

Are the Sammie sounds what you used on the Taranis or did it come with sounds already loaded on a micro SD?
Good question. I was curious about that as well...
Latest blog entry: Independence Day Sale at MRM!
Jun 20, 2013, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDmbThms

It came with sounds - Sammie is one of my broadcasting students.
Jun 20, 2013, 10:27 PM
Snipe the Skies!
Front page updated with audio info, thanks Scott
Jun 21, 2013, 06:10 AM
I am using GV's to make a "latch" type custom switch. (a SE^ will turn the switch on, the switch will remain on until SE^ is held for more than 4 seconds) It is used as part of a launch preset for a DLG which will start a 10 minute countdown timer.

It works perfectly, but I would prefer there not to be a "splash" type notification screen displayed each time the GV is updated. Is there a way to turn off this notification as it is quite intrusive and I would prefer not to see it.
Jun 21, 2013, 08:24 AM
Crazy Canuck
Do you guys fly inverted all the time downunder?
Jun 21, 2013, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard S
I am using GV's to make a "latch" type custom switch. (a SE^ will turn the switch on, the switch will remain on until SE^ is held for more than 4 seconds) It is used as part of a launch preset for a DLG which will start a 10 minute countdown timer.

It works perfectly, but I would prefer there not to be a "splash" type notification screen displayed each time the GV is updated. Is there a way to turn off this notification as it is quite intrusive and I would prefer not to see it.
Please share screen shots, or more details on how you are doing this.
Jun 21, 2013, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page
Please share screen shots, or more details on how you are doing this.
OK, this is going to be difficult to explain to non-F3K/DLG pilots... Some background : - I hope to be flying with the Taranis at the F3K World Champs in Denmark next month. I have previously been using MPX Evo, P4000 and futaba 12fg and have fully replicated my current setups using companion9x and am completely sold on the new capabilities (and price) of the taranis.

Now I'd like to look into getting some talking timers working.

The nature of F3K competition can sometimes require you to land (or catch) the model and then relaunch as quickly as possible (often around 1 second turn-arounds). In this time I need to : -

-deactivate the large landing flap deflection
-set the correct flight-mode
-apply "launch" preset to the elevator
-reset the current flight timer

then approx 1/2 second after I let go of the model I like to : -

-start the flight timer
-cancel the launch preset.

I then move the landing-flap control back to to normal (throttle, which was disabled on launch-mode) and can then resume normal flying

Sounds complicated, however I acheive all of this via a special 3 position switch (on-off-momentry, I replace an existing switch on all my transmitters with this) In normal flight this is away from me in the ON position, the instant I catch the model I pull this switch fully towards me (MOMENTRY) and just after I let go of the model I release the switch which goes to its centre (OFF) position.

The operation of the timers is very useful for two reasons
1. I need to be aware of both my current flight time. I want the ability to hear the flight time without having to bother my helper (who is often busy calculating what times I need to acheive to beat other pilots in the same group)
2. In case my helper/official timer has an issue with their stopwatch, they can inform me and I can give them the opportunity to take the current flight time from the display on my transmitter.

In addition to my current flight time, I would also like to have the 10minute slot timer running on my tx, as I sometimes launch within a fraction of a second of the start of the 10 minute slot, I need to utilise the same 3pos switch to start this (when i pull the momentry switch just before I launch is perfect for this, and as this is only normally held for 2-3 seconds max, then I can add a "reset 10 minute timer" function if the swich is held for >4 seconds.

Phew!! I hope that makes some kinds of sense?

Now I have activated this using GV's to set a "set-reset" latch type of custom switch and it works quite well, but I do see 2 small issues.

1. The pop-up screen that notifys whenever the GV is changed by a custom function. I would prefer not to see this as it is quite intrusive in normal conditions (although useful to turn on in order to "debug" what is happening.. perhaps this could be as a transmitter setting similar to how we turn FAI mode on)
2. When I add the flight-mode selection to the same switch I see some unexpected values for GV appear on the pop-up screen (I only expect to see 0 or 100, but see 1025 appear), however they do not effect the operation of the timers

I've attached screen-shots of how I configure the flight-mode settings and also of the strange 1025 value
Last edited by Richard S; Jun 22, 2013 at 04:33 AM.