Thread Tools
Jan 25, 2020, 03:58 AM
ancora imparo
jj604's Avatar
It is apparently now acceptable US usage as of 1999.

https://notoneoffbritishisms.com/201.../piece-of-kit/

Although it really became mainstream when referring to the iPhone in September, 2012.
"September 14 blog post by John Scalzi, about the new iPhone, which includes this line: ďAs advertised, it is a very lovely piece of kit.Ē
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 25, 2020, 05:42 AM
Registered User
Please tell me if this is in the wrong thread but I can't seem to get my RSXR to be the slave to my G-RX8 both running ACCESS. I've registered both of them with my TX and I've got the G-RX8 bound as RX 1 and the RSXR as RX 2. SBUS out on the RSXR to SBUS in on the G-RX8 and when I power everything up they both have green lights and the servos work. When I shield the G-RX8's antennas and go into range check mode, the G-RX8 has a red LED to indicate loss of signal, they XSRX remains green but the servos don't work...... any ideas?
Jan 25, 2020, 08:22 AM
Alt + 24 = ↑ & Alt + 25 = ↓
Miami Mike's Avatar
The R-XSR instructions say this:
Quote:
SBUS/CPPM output (BLUE LED stay lit indicates R-XSR in SBUS mode, otherwise in CPPM mode)
How to switch SBUS and CPPM signal: Long press the F/S button on the receiver for 4 seconds, the BLUE LED will flash three times, indicating the switch is completed.
Also, instead of shielding antennas, an easier way to test a redundancy setup is to temporarily bind the two receivers with different receiver numbers, then do visual range checks while switching your radio back and forth between those two receiver numbers. After the range check, rebind one of the receivers with the same receiver number as the other one.
Jan 25, 2020, 08:50 PM
Entropy is happening!
Jim.Thompson's Avatar

Taranis model set up for quadcopter without onboard computer.


Taranis X9D Plus with OpenTX 2.2.3

I am hoping that this is possible for the VTOL lifting function of a Hybrid fixed wing aircraft that I have been asked to build a prototype of a working model for aerial seeding paddocks.
The plan is to have the craft powered mainly by a conventional tractor brushless motor.
The configuration will be similar to the commercially produced "Baby Shark".

https://au.images.search.yahoo.com/y...-ddc-linuxmint

I plan to set up a test jig consisting of four brushless motors on a wooden cross frame with four ESC and a battery, rx etc.
I could restrain this on a short tether in my yard for testing purposes.
The objective will be to see if I can:

1. Program a suitable model set up in my Taranis X9D plus, OpenTX 2.2.3, with a "D" series receiver bound and fitted to the test jig.
2. Control the "quad" sufficiently stable enough to elevate the (eventual) model high enough to transition to horizontal, conventional flight mode.

Questions:

1. Has anyone reading had any experience with quad, or quad assisted vehicles being flown without an onboard computer?
2. What kind of a model set up would I require? I have a vague idea only; I assume that the elevator command would vary the speed (or throttle) of the front pair of motors to the back pair proportionally and the roll command would vary the (throttle) mix of motors right(2) to left(2).

If someone has experience with any of this, I would like to read details.

Any advice appreciated.

Jim.
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Jan 25, 2020 at 08:58 PM.
Jan 25, 2020, 10:11 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson
Taranis X9D Plus with OpenTX 2.2.3

I am hoping that this is possible for the VTOL lifting function of a Hybrid fixed wing aircraft that I have been asked to build a prototype of a working model for aerial seeding paddocks.
The plan is to have the craft powered mainly by a conventional tractor brushless motor.
The configuration will be similar to the commercially produced "Baby Shark".

https://au.images.search.yahoo.com/y...-ddc-linuxmint

I plan to set up a test jig consisting of four brushless motors on a wooden cross frame with four ESC and a battery, rx etc.
I could restrain this on a short tether in my yard for testing purposes.
The objective will be to see if I can:

1. Program a suitable model set up in my Taranis X9D plus, OpenTX 2.2.3, with a "D" series receiver bound and fitted to the test jig.
2. Control the "quad" sufficiently stable enough to elevate the (eventual) model high enough to transition to horizontal, conventional flight mode.

Questions:

1. Has anyone reading had any experience with quad, or quad assisted vehicles being flown without an onboard computer?
2. What kind of a model set up would I require? I have a vague idea only; I assume that the elevator command would vary the speed (or throttle) of the front pair of motors to the back pair proportionally and the roll command would vary the (throttle) mix of motors right(2) to left(2).

If someone has experience with any of this, I would like to read details.

Any advice appreciated.

Jim.
This MAY be of interest.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...PVTOL-Explorer
Jan 25, 2020, 10:19 PM
Registered User
You need an IMU for anything useful. Put any one of the many available flight controllers which Ardupilot supports in it.
https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/co...utopilots.html
Besides that, any aircraft of significant size and cost deserves RTL failsafe functionality. It's worth $40 for the flight controller and $20 for the GPS.
Jan 25, 2020, 10:40 PM
Entropy is happening!
Jim.Thompson's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircogi
You need an IMU for anything useful. ................................
First of all, what is an "IMU" please? (I found in Google that it means, along with other things, inertial management systems).
I should have noted that I am completely ignorant of multi-copter flight control systems.

Quote:
Put any one of the many available flight controllers which Ardupilot supports in it.
https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/co...utopilots.html...........................
Thanks for the links with optional equipment. However, how does the beginner (like me) make a choice? I notice there is one or two linux models listed. I use linux on all my computers. Does that help in making a choice? Ie. does it narrow down the choice(s)?

Quote:
Besides that, any aircraft of significant size and cost deserves RTL failsafe functionality. It's worth $40 for the flight controller and $20 for the GPS.
Point taken.
If you are prepared to assist further, particularly with the choice of equipment, that would be much appreciated.
Should I move this thread over onto the multi-copter forums?

Jim.
Jan 25, 2020, 10:46 PM
Registered User
I recommend you ask for advice over here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-%28ChiBios%29
I believe the Matek F765-Wing is probably a good choice for your project with an M8N GPS.
Jan 25, 2020, 10:54 PM
Entropy is happening!
Jim.Thompson's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircogi
I recommend you ask for advice over here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-%28ChiBios%29
I believe the Matek F765-Wing is probably a good choice for your project with an M8N GPS.
I have subscribed to the thread, thanks very much!
Jan 26, 2020, 12:01 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Kilrah's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson
quad, or quad assisted vehicles being flown without an onboard computer?
That's just not happening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson
Any advice appreciated.
Unless you have loads of time, maybe reconsider your involvement with the project or get some help?

Using a flight controller and setting it up properly for a custom frame represents significantly more knowledge to acquire and things to understand than what took you a year or so with OpenTX.
Jan 26, 2020, 12:13 AM
Entropy is happening!
Jim.Thompson's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
................................. or get some help?.................
Yes, that is just what I am starting to do!

Quote:
Using a flight controller and setting it up properly for a custom frame represents significantly more knowledge to acquire and things to understand than what took you a year or so with OpenTX.
Thanks for the caveat Kilrah!
Message received loud and clear.

"................took you a year or so............"? ...........what?
It's still taking me, don't jump to premature conclusions!...........

Edit:
I just now recall that more than one subscriber gave me a similar warning about using a Taranis and OpenTx!
Funny that................and now I am almost confident with it. I am, at least, over the most difficult part of the learning process.
People have been telling me all my life that some challenge or other is above my capabilities. And I have spent a lifetime proving them wrong!
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Jan 26, 2020 at 05:07 AM.
Jan 26, 2020, 05:29 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike
The R-XSR instructions say this:


Also, instead of shielding antennas, an easier way to test a redundancy setup is to temporarily bind the two receivers with different receiver numbers, then do visual range checks while switching your radio back and forth between those two receiver numbers. After the range check, rebind one of the receivers with the same receiver number as the other one.
Yeah I also have the blue light on the R-xsr so Iím in sbus mode. Iíll have to have another play when I get home. Either way when the master went to failsafe the slave didnít move any servos ....
Jan 26, 2020, 10:16 PM
I Like Coffee ^_^
PokkaGold's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike
Okay, that's easy.

I'm going by Companion simulator, which shows SE and SF as momentary switches. Assuming that the button you want to use is SE, set up a logical switch as a sticky with SE↓ as both V1 and V2, so that the logical switch will toggle between on and off with each button press.
Code:
L1   Sticky(SE↓, SE↓)
Then use that logical switch to arm your motor. I'd have to see your setup to tell you exactly how to do that.

I recommend also setting up some sort of indication of whether or not the motor is armed, such as a voice announcement.
Tried this. Does not seems to work as I wanted it to be.
Jan 27, 2020, 01:58 PM
Registered User
ringo42's Avatar
I have the original Taranis X9D. I need an RX with at least a 12Ch RX of pwm. They all drive servos do I don't need SBUS. How can I do this? All I see is max of 8ch of PWM. What are my options?
Jan 27, 2020, 02:03 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo42
I have the original Taranis X9D. I need an RX with at least a 12Ch RX of pwm. They all drive servos do I don't need SBUS. How can I do this? All I see is max of 8ch of PWM. What are my options?
You need a FRsky "FrSky SBUS & CPPM Decoder"

https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-sbus-decoder.html

Program it for channel 9 - 12. Just set the Tx to transmit 12 channels. Obviously will need an SBUS capably Rx like X8R.

Nigel.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product FrSky Taranis - 16 Channels, Full Telemetry, RSSI Rotozuk Radios 55218 Feb 05, 2020 01:58 AM
Discussion FrSky Taranis - Owners thread mud99 Radios 2155 Jul 02, 2019 12:03 AM
Question FrSky Taranis - assimilating web info mcshaz Radios 10 Sep 10, 2015 02:34 PM
Discussion is the FrSky Taranis next step after Turnigy 9X 9Ch tormodnt Radios 3 Nov 30, 2014 07:58 PM