Thread Tools
Jun 25, 2019, 03:35 PM
Meerkats: Cuter than mere cats
Miami Mike's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Church
Channel output will be clipped to 100% by OpenTx provided that on the OUTPUTs page that channel is set for -100 to +100.
Not exactly. The channel output is never clipped but the input from the mixer page to the Outputs page is clipped to Ī100% before it's processed by the Outputs page. The Outputs page maps that Ī100% range to the range you set with Min, Max, and curves. If those settings exceed the capability of your servos, linkages, hinges, etc. (which they shouldn't) then it's possible for them to in effect "clip", but that's due to their own limitations.

The way to maintain roll control when both of your ailerons are up is to use "reverse differential." As Mike Shellim describes it:
Quote:
Roll rate enhancement
  • Aileron diff is automatically suppressed as spoiler is deployed.
  • Optional ‘reverse diff’ increases down-aileron movement, when spoiler is deployed.
In other words, if the aileron on the side of the direction you want to turn can't go up any more then the aileron on the opposite side makes up for that by going down farther.

Mike offers the option of reverse differential in his glider setups.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2019, 09:20 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
pmackenzie's Avatar
If you do the spoiler/flaps with flight modes then just use a gvar as the differential value. Then set the desired differential in each flight mode by adjusting the gvar.
Jun 25, 2019, 10:09 PM
Entropy is happening!
Jim.Thompson's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie
If you do the spoiler/flaps with flight modes then just use a gvar as the differential value. Then set the desired differential in each flight mode by adjusting the gvar.
Would you expand on this please PM?
Please note, I am not likely to use this, but it might help me (and others) to fully understand.
I guess my starting point would be to find out what "gvar" means and what it does.

My apologies if this question is too basic for this thread............in advance!..................
Jun 26, 2019, 12:27 AM
Registered User
jims123's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson
I guess my starting point would be to find out what "gvar" means and what it does.

My apologies if this question is too basic for this thread............in advance!..................
hi Jim,
A gvar is a global variable that can be defined and then substituted as the value for any weight, offset, differential, or expo setting and applied to say all the servos in a particular model at once. Itís a handy way to set all of them at one time in a model to the same value .. not to be confused with Global and Special Functions that can apply to all your models in the Radio. A gvar only applies to one model. ( I bought the manual and am cheating .. but thatís what it says.l ) Hope it helps
JimS
Jun 26, 2019, 01:46 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
pmackenzie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123
hi Jim,
A gvar is a global variable that can be defined and then substituted as the value for any weight, offset, differential, or expo setting and applied to say all the servos in a particular model at once. Itís a handy way to set all of them at one time in a model to the same value .. not to be confused with Global and Special Functions that can apply to all your models in the Radio. A gvar only applies to one model. ( I bought the manual and am cheating .. but thatís what it says.l ) Hope it helps
JimS
Just to add to this, the other thing about gvars is that a given gvar can have its value be dependent on flight modes.
Also in addition to setting their values via the programming interface gvars can be adjusted or set via special functions.

Combined with flight modes they are the real "power" behind opentx IMO, particularly when doing complex models like sailplanes.
Jun 26, 2019, 05:09 AM
https://hmvc.eu/
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie
Just to add to this, the other thing about gvars is that a given gvar can have its value be dependent on flight modes.
Also in addition to setting their values via the programming interface gvars can be adjusted or set via special functions.

Combined with flight modes they are the real "power" behind opentx IMO, particularly when doing complex models like sailplanes.
Another thing that a gvar can be used for is when you want to avoid duplicate entries.
For instance something simple as the weight of a dual servo aileron.
If you want the weight of the "Roll" to be 80, you could enter that value 80 for the left aileron and for the right aileron.

At that moment you have 80 in 2 different places with only you knowing these should be equal. The radio however does not know.
You may change that 80 in left aileron and forget to do the same for the right.
In such a case I would replace the 80 with a GVAR and set the value of 80 in the GVAR-table.

For the left aileron you can use GVAR1 and for the right aileron you use -GVAR1
If an aileron moves the wrong way you can reverse it in OUTPUTS.
At that moment you're also certain that your trim works properly.

A good setup should only reference 1 place.

Nothing to do with GVARs, but with that referencing idea....

When you use logical switches to set a flight mode and you also want some SF to react on that flight mode you should use the FM-switch as the switch for it....

Example:

FM1 = !L1 = Throttle Safety
L1 <some condition>

I would not do this:

CH3 I3 throttle
:= MAX -100 !L1

!L1 Play track thrdis
L1 Play track thren

But this:

CH3 I3 throttle
:= MAX -100 FM1

FM1 Play track thrdis
!FM1 Play track thren


You're then only referencing FM1 from various places and not the logical switch.
The logical switch can't be labeled and you make sure that they all source the same place.
Last edited by hisroyaldudeness; Jun 26, 2019 at 05:28 AM.
Jun 26, 2019, 01:06 PM
Have Fun and Just Fly!
l shems's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisroyaldudeness
Another thing that a gvar can be used for is when you want to avoid duplicate entries.
For instance something simple as the weight of a dual servo aileron.
If you want the weight of the "Roll" to be 80, you could enter that value 80 for the left aileron and for the right aileron.

At that moment you have 80 in 2 different places with only you knowing these should be equal. The radio however does not know.
You may change that 80 in left aileron and forget to do the same for the right.
In such a case I would replace the 80 with a GVAR and set the value of 80 in the GVAR-table.

For the left aileron you can use GVAR1 and for the right aileron you use -GVAR1
If an aileron moves the wrong way you can reverse it in OUTPUTS.
At that moment you're also certain that your trim works properly.

A good setup should only reference 1 place.

Nothing to do with GVARs, but with that referencing idea....

When you use logical switches to set a flight mode and you also want some SF to react on that flight mode you should use the FM-switch as the switch for it....

Example:

FM1 = !L1 = Throttle Safety
L1

I would not do this:

CH3 I3 throttle
:= MAX -100 !L1

!L1 Play track thrdis
L1 Play track thren

But this:

CH3 I3 throttle
:= MAX -100 FM1

FM1 Play track thrdis
!FM1 Play track thren


You're then only referencing FM1 from various places and not the logical switch.
The logical switch can't be labeled and you make sure that they all source the same place.
Very true and useful.

You can even use inputs with switches as source and a logical switch (or 2) based on these inputs to make changing switch assignments easier.

All references in the model are to the logical switches, and the logical switches reference to ONE input, that you can label as well for readability.

The only settings to touch for a new setup are the labeled input sources, the labeled gvars and the labeled outputs.

You can even reference the mixer lines that are linked to a used output, normally the first 8 channels, to higher mixer lines having the complex stuff. You can then easily change the output order by changing the references in the first 8 mixer lines!

The model template becomes more complex, but infield adjustments are way easier.
Jun 27, 2019, 01:09 AM
Nasir Khan

Home-made After Burner


Hi guys,
I currently own a couple of big edf jets and want to install home-made afterburner LED kits. I am thinking of using a brushed ESC to power the LEDs and to mix it with the throttle channel to stimulate the burner effect. The only problem is the brushed esc will power LEDs even at zero throttle. Is there a way to write a mix that allows the brushed ESC to only powers the LEDs say at about 90% throttle and possibly with a flickering effect?
thanks for your help.
Cheers
Nas
Last edited by ozfella; Jun 27, 2019 at 06:02 AM.
Jun 27, 2019, 05:11 AM
Have Fun and Just Fly!
l shems's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozfella
Hi guys,

I currently own a couple of big edf jets and want to install home-made after burner LED kits. I am thinking of using brushed ESC to power the LEDs and to mix it with the throttle channel to stimulate the burner effect. The only problem is the brushed esc will power LEDs even at zero throttle. Is there a way to write a mix that allow the brushed ESC to only powers the LEDs say at about 90% throttle and possibly with a flickering effect?

thanks for your help.

Cheers

Nas
Logical switches are your friend.

Create one ls to detect your throttle high condition.

Use it as a switch on a mixline with 'MAX' as source, and weight as brightness.

You can then do to several things to get the fluctuating effect. Need to look into that at home.
Jun 27, 2019, 05:32 AM
Registered User
Bill Glover's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozfella
I currently own a couple of big edf jets and want to install home-made after burner LED kits. I am thinking of using brushed ESC to power the LEDs and to mix it with the throttle channel to stimulate the burner effect. The only problem is the brushed esc will power LEDs even at zero throttle. Is there a way to write a mix that allow the brushed ESC to only powers the LEDs say at about 90% throttle and possibly with a flickering effect?
If the ESC lights the LEDs up at zero throttle then something is wrong - have you calibrated it? You'd probably be better off using a simple r/c switch connected to an aux channel (which you can then program to activate however you like). I doubt a brushed ESC outputs pure DC voltage, and if it does it will be variable. For LEDs you normally want a fixed supply voltage.

Have to say I'm not personally a big fan of 'afterburner' LEDs on scale jets ... they normally look pretty tacky and unconvincing (I've seen a few on models where the full-size didn't even have an afterburner ). Fair enough for a bit of fun on a sport model though.
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Jun 28, 2019, 03:58 PM
Quadaholic
--Oz--'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover
If the ESC lights the LEDs up at zero throttle then something is wrong - have you calibrated it?
Good call.

Quote:
I doubt a brushed ESC outputs pure DC voltage, and if it does it will be variable. For LEDs you normally want a fixed supply voltage.
Brushed esc's output a PWM signal (Motor connected to battery+, and N-FET driving to battery-), 8 to 48KHz (depending on model/settings), much to high to see blinking/flickering, it should work fine.
Jun 29, 2019, 12:05 PM
Learning to crash
Tom T's Avatar
Hey my x9d+s clock is resetting to zero after the tx has been off a while. Is there a cmos battery in there? And anyone know what style/model number it is?
Jun 29, 2019, 12:13 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom T
Hey my x9d+s clock is resetting to zero after the tx has been off a while. Is there a cmos battery in there? And anyone know what style/model number it is?
Yep.... CR 1220

Be sure to unplug the main battery before poking around inside the radio...
Jun 29, 2019, 04:03 PM
Learning to crash
Tom T's Avatar
Thanks
Jun 30, 2019, 12:22 PM
Registered User
jims123's Avatar

Questions about FrSky Receiver Numbers & binding?


I just received some of these FrSky XR series receivers and have a few questions about managing their soon-to-be-set up--sequentially-in-a-batch Receiver Number assignments etc..

1.) I've heard that you want to set them up during the Bind process such that the assigned Receiver Number matches the same slot number you save the model into in OpenTx Companion.. Is this important? Why? I can do this pretty easily but will want to shift several models with Assan Receivers I have now in Companion down in my Model table.. They don't need RxNo assigments.. but I wonder if it's worth the hassle to keep them sequential if FrSky Rxs, and why do this?.. is it only so I don't forget and inadvertently assign the same Rx No during Bind to two different aircraft in the future? How bad can that be anyway? I'll never fly them both at the same time.. .. or is there more to it?

2.) Two or more fliers at the field can both fly on the same FrSky Rx No right?

3.) Can't these RX6R and RX4R and XM+ receivers ALL be reset and Re-Bound again at any time and a new Rx No assigned to them?

4.) One last and perhaps more interesting question.. If I bind say a RX6R to a Taranis 7XS with it's internal RF Module, will I be able to also fly it with a second different 7XS radio using the identical Model .otx file and settings? .. I'm assuming that answer is NO, even if it shares the same Rx No.. that only one Tx Module ( by MAC address?) can control the Rx ( the one it last Bound to, correct?

5.) and finally. If you bind a FrSky Rx to a multi-protocol 4 In 1 Module , will it still work if you simply shift the setting in that same radio back to the normal INTERNAL RF setting alone?

I've numbered these to make it easier to reply with Y/N responses by number should you care to do so..( assuming you know the answer(s))
Thanks to you all in advance for your help and gracious replies.. They certainly have saved me a ton of time and frustration..
Regards,
JimS


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product FrSky Taranis - 16 Channels, Full Telemetry, RSSI Rotozuk Radios 54756 Jul 09, 2019 08:53 AM
Discussion FrSky Taranis - Owners thread mud99 Radios 2155 Jul 02, 2019 12:03 AM
Question FrSky Taranis - assimilating web info mcshaz Radios 10 Sep 10, 2015 02:34 PM
Discussion is the FrSky Taranis next step after Turnigy 9X 9Ch tormodnt Radios 3 Nov 30, 2014 07:58 PM