FRSKY Taranis "How to" Thread - Page 1890 - RC Groups
Nov 10, 2017, 06:10 PM

Frsky SPASS-70 airspeed sensor

Hi

I am relatively new to the Taranis radio and Open-TX. Installed an airspeed sensor to one of my larger gliders and it works fine but anounces speed in m/sec which I would like to be in miles or knots per hour and I also would like to get a low or stall speed alarm.
Can anyone give me some hints how to achieve this?

Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2017, 07:44 PM
Registered Taranis User
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlisch
Hi

I am relatively new to the Taranis radio and Open-TX. Installed an airspeed sensor to one of my larger gliders and it works fine but anounces speed in m/sec which I would like to be in miles or knots per hour and I also would like to get a low or stall speed alarm.

Thanks!
On the Telemetry page in Companion there should be a selection for that sensor where you choose the units.

The alarm should be possible too. I don't have an airspeed sensor to test it myself, but it would probably involve a logical switch to trigger at or below a certain value and a special function to sound the alarm.

For the logical switch, use the a<x function along with the value where you want the alarm to sound. You'll probably also want a way to prevent it from sounding at inappropriate times, like when you haven't taken off yet.

Set the special function to sound when the logical switch is true.
Last edited by Miami Mike; Nov 10, 2017 at 07:55 PM.
Nov 10, 2017, 08:04 PM
3RN13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlisch
Hi

Thanks!
My guess would be in Radio Setup change the units from Metric to Imperial.
Nov 10, 2017, 10:08 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
FWIW, stall speed is not that useful, too many things change the stall speed.
What you really need to predict stall is an AOA gauge .
Nov 11, 2017, 12:00 AM
Thanks guys, appreciate it!
Nov 12, 2017, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover
OK so it doesn't sound like it's loss of signal and failsafe then. I'm not familiar with Raceflight, do you have Black Box type logs on the FC you can look at?
yeah i have BB. I was BBing the other day, and i noticed a yaw twitch as I throttled down, turned out to be broken wires inside tranny, on the yaw potentiometer. I repaired them, and flew about 30 batteries on the weekend, and no drop outs, so I am hoping the 2 problems were related.
Nov 13, 2017, 05:38 AM
RobKit--Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604
OK here’s what I have managed so far. Done on a Taranis Q7.

I haven’t debugged or tested this thoroughly and it is work in progress but it might encourage some of the ace mixmasters to do something much more elegant. Hopefully some of the cleverer OpenTX guys can come up with something a bit less agricultural and more useful.

All calculations and readouts are done in 100s of mAh. That is pack capacity in mAh/100. This fits into the values in OpenTX and is pretty simple. So a 2200mAh pack is 22.

1) Pack consumption is returned as usual by a calculated telemetry field called “Cons”

2) Input 31 divides the consumption by 100 and Mix31 puts that on channel 31

3) The flight pack capacity is entered using S2 and is stored as GV2. But only if SF is up and SH is down. Mix 30 inputs the value of S2 and adjusts the range from 0-100 using Curve1. You could also use Weight and Offset but I like the curve as it is easier to visualise on the fly. For instance if you only use 5000 -10000 mAh packs you can change the curve to give that range easily. Personal choice - either works.

4) SF1 Adjusts GV2 to be the value of Ch30 (normally the pack capacity from 0-100 in 100’s of mAh) if L01 is true. L01 only allows change if SF is up and SH is down

5) SF4 Adjusts GV1 to be the value of Ch31

6) Mix 32 is MiamiMike’s magic mix that calculates the amount remaining (in 100s of mAh) and outputs it on Ch32

7) SF5 Adjust GV3 to be the value of Channel 32.

8) SF6 plays the value of the remaining capacity if it changes by more than 10 units. Interval could be adjusted to suit.

9) SF2 and 3 announce the Value of GV2 but only if it is changed with S2 by more than 1 unit. Probably an unnecessary complication as I have GV2 displayed on the telemetry screen..

Next steps will be to see if I can convert the playback to % values rather than absolute values of capacity remaining.
Announcing remaining capacity in 100s of mA is fairly useful but % remaining at selected intervals would be neater and require no mental effort to remember the pack size you are flying with.

John
Gentlemen,, sorry for bothering you again,,
As you understand I am far from an expert as you are, so is the above the final ?
Is there a chance that any of you could share a file (eepe) it would help so much, I understand that you might think itīs described here ,
but for me itīs not all that obvious how to set it up...

Appresciate your support.
//Rob
Nov 13, 2017, 05:41 AM
ancora imparo
Rob, I'm still working it. It's an interesting challenge, and the devil seems to be in the detail. Will post here if/when I get a satisfactory solution.

Some of the experts may come good first.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by robkit
Gentlemen,, sorry for bothering you again,,
As you understand I am far from an expert as you are, so is the above the final ?
Is there a chance that any of you could share a file (eepe) it would help so much, I understand that you might think itīs described here ,
but for me itīs not all that obvious how to set it up...

Appresciate your support.
//Rob
Nov 13, 2017, 07:23 AM
RobKit--Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604
Rob, I'm still working it. It's an interesting challenge, and the devil seems to be in the detail. Will post here if/when I get a satisfactory solution.

Some of the experts may come good first.

John
Aha ok !!

Not my intention to stress you, thank you for your committment :-)
//Rob
Nov 13, 2017, 03:23 PM

Help! I may be going insane

Guys, I recently bought a used Taranis X9D to replace my DX7s and decided to start off with a clean slate by upgrading OpenTX to version 2.2. Truly, I wish I never bothered!
The Boot loader was upgraded to 2.2.0. and I Also upgraded the XJT (internal) to EU LBT. The X8R that came with the Tx binds no problem.
The problem for me is I bought an X4R and an X4RSB both labelled as EU LBT and neither will bind! I just get both LEDs lit constantly. I flashed both receivers with the latest EU LBT firmware.
The operation appeared to be successful on both RXs but they still won't bind! I also have an S6R EU LBT to go in one of my gliders and I can't bring myself to try and bind it in case I get the same result and end up jumping up and down on it! I just want to fly my models for christ's sake. What am I doing wrong?
Cheers
Keith
Nov 13, 2017, 04:46 PM
Bird of Time

Global Functions

I'm trying to set up variable rudder input in to aileron/rudder mix using S2 to adjust the amount of rudder. Damned if I can find S2 as a Source in the Global Functions Menu. What am I doing wrong?
Nov 13, 2017, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarer66
Guys, I recently bought a used Taranis X9D to replace my DX7s and decided to start off with a clean slate by upgrading OpenTX to version 2.2. Truly, I wish I never bothered!
The Boot loader was upgraded to 2.2.0. and I Also upgraded the XJT (internal) to EU LBT. The X8R that came with the Tx binds no problem.
The problem for me is I bought an X4R and an X4RSB both labelled as EU LBT and neither will bind! I just get both LEDs lit constantly. I flashed both receivers with the latest EU LBT firmware.
The operation appeared to be successful on both RXs but they still won't bind! I also have an S6R EU LBT to go in one of my gliders and I can't bring myself to try and bind it in case I get the same result and end up jumping up and down on it! I just want to fly my models for christ's sake. What am I doing wrong?
Cheers
Keith
First upgrading to 2.2 has no effect on binding or EU LBT. Only flashing the XJT and receivers affect the whether you are using NON EU or EU LBT and the XJT has to agree with the receiver. The OpenTX firmware can only affect whether the D8 option is offered and that build option is available in 2.1 and 2.2.

Doesn't sound like you did anything "wrong" but you don't mention if you upgraded the X8R with EU LBT.

Maybe you have not actually updated the XJT to EU LBT but just thought you did.
The EU and NON EU files are both in the same .zip file and you have to rename them for OpenTX to shorter file names to see the file in the SD card so it is possible to get them confused.

I would double check the XJT and RX firmware you used are actually the EU LBT versions and try flashing the XJT again. If it still binds to the X8R then you know you have EU LBT on both ends. If it no longer does you know the X8R is still NON EU...etc.
Nov 13, 2017, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauihiflyer
I'm trying to set up variable rudder input in to aileron/rudder mix using S2 to adjust the amount of rudder. Damned if I can find S2 as a Source in the Global Functions Menu. What am I doing wrong?
You may need to enable S2 in the RADIO SETUP/HARDWARE menu. S2 should be set to "Pot with detent" if you have a normal S2 pot in the radio.
Nov 13, 2017, 05:32 PM
Bird of Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjf01
You may need to enable S2 in the RADIO SETUP/HARDWARE menu. S2 should be set to "Pot with detent" if you have a normal S2 pot in the radio.
No, it’s listed. No S1, S2, LS or RS are shown as sources inGlobal Functions.
Nov 13, 2017, 05:36 PM
Bird of Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie
FWIW, stall speed is not that useful, too many things change the stall speed.
What you really need to predict stall is an AOA gauge .
AOA is only part of it. You need A. (Alpha dot known as rate of change of angle of attack). Just buy an airliner or corporate jet an canabalize it. :-D