FRSKY Taranis "How to" Thread - Page 101 - RC Groups
Sep 03, 2013, 05:15 PM
Happy FPV flyer
One single s-bus cable between the receiver and the controller is the equivalent of a "sat". Providing the controller supports s-bus of course.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 03, 2013, 05:24 PM

frysky s bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
One single s-bus cable between the receiver and the controller is the equivalent of a "sat". Providing the controller supports s-bus of course.
So what your saying is I can just install two standard 9 channel recievers using the sbus conecter then install all the servos etc direct to the flybarless controller same as I would if using spectrum dsm sats ? I guess the only problem I can see with that is the size off the recievers when used in smaller helicopters like my new gaui nx4 nitro which has limited space for electronics . A normal sat is only about the size ofa 50 cent coin. Or is it possible to use something like a small 3 or 4 chanell reciever as the sat as the controllers have the 9 channel conections
Sep 03, 2013, 05:34 PM
Happy FPV flyer
You would need only one X8R.

There will be a smaller 4-channel s-bus capable receiver in the future, but it's not out yet.
Sep 03, 2013, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutchy
I don't have an X8R Rx but I do have experience using telemetry in Er9x and ErSky9x with FrSky systems.
1) You are correct. The RSSI is read internally in the Rx. You do not need any external device. I expect that the RSSI out port would be used for On Screen Display (OSD) of the RSSI value when flying with First Person Video (FPV).
2) Reading the XR8 description in the link above it says:
"To attach hub-based sensors requires a data port to S.Port translation device, of which there is currently only one - the FVAS-02 variometer sensor."
So I expect that to read voltage using either one of the voltage sensors you will have to buy a variometer and then plug the FLVS device into the Variometer and then plug the Variometer in to the S Port.
3) The FAS current sensor will give you current, power (Watts) and energy (mAh) used. The description of the FAS100 says:
"The FrSky Amperage Sensor (FAS-100) can measure Current (A), Power Consumption (mAH) and Power (W) when connected between a battery and ESC. Current (A) and Power (W) will be displayed on the FLD-02, while Current (A) and Power Consumption (mAH) will be displayed on the DHT-U. The FAS-100 reports Power and Power Consumption without an external voltage sensor and, in addition, can be linked together to report individual cell voltages by using the FLVS-01."
You need to connect the FAS device to either a hub (FSH-01) if you are collecting signals from other telemetry devices or directly to the Variometer. The hub would need to be connected to the variometer as directed above in answer 1 and then the hub plugged into the S port.
4) To measure altitude connect the altitude sensor into the hub together with the voltage sensor, the current sensor, and any other sensors, say RPM or temperature or anything else which will fit, and then plug the hub into the Variometer and then the Variometer into the S port.

If you don't want the variometer readings you can elect not to show the variometer on the Er9x and ErSky9x custom screens and I suppose it's the same with the OpenTx firmware in the Taranis (I don't have mine yet). But you need it to act as a bridge to connect all the other sensors to the S Port.

I believe that eventually all sensors will plug into each other like a daisy chain and the last one will plug into the S port.

I hope that's an accurate description but I stand to be corrected.

Steve
PS the Variometer Manual is here: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...86X25224X1.pdf
where you can see a diagram.
Thanks again for the kind explanation. It's all getting clearer. I'll probably end up just with the Lipo voltage, otherwise I have to pack the models full of extra gear which means weight which is the enemy of flying time....
Sep 03, 2013, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
You would need only one X8R.

There will be a smaller 4-channel s-bus capable receiver in the future, but it's not out yet.
Or, if your FBL controller supports CPPM input and 8 channels are sufficient, you can just use a D4R-II in CPPM mode.
Sep 03, 2013, 11:28 PM
How do you set the servo center on the Taranis? In the servo monitor page for the War Eagle, the column between Ch # and the servo throw graphic is current value of the servo I think. So with the sticks undisturbed the value should be that of servo center for that channel, right? On my War Eagle setup, Ch 1-4 are showing 69.9, -100.0, -13.4, 13.4 respectively. If I look at the limits page of Companion9X, all centers are shown as 1500. Why do they change when I load them into the TX. Is there any way to program a model from scratch using just the tx with no "help" from Companion9X?
Sep 03, 2013, 11:33 PM
60 years of RC flying
No need to use Companion if you don't want. Just program directly on the transmitter as explained in the manual.
Sep 04, 2013, 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeg
How do you set the servo center on the Taranis? In the servo monitor page for the War Eagle, the column between Ch # and the servo throw graphic is current value of the servo I think. So with the sticks undisturbed the value should be that of servo center for that channel, right? On my War Eagle setup, Ch 1-4 are showing 69.9, -100.0, -13.4, 13.4 respectively. If I look at the limits page of Companion9X, all centers are shown as 1500. Why do they change when I load them into the TX. Is there any way to program a model from scratch using just the tx with no "help" from Companion9X?
It sounds to me like you downloaded the .eepe from someone else and loaded it directly into your transmitter. That will mess up your calibration.

Re-calibrate your TX. Then in the future, first read the flash from your transmitter and just copy-paste the downloaded model into that configuration which your re-flash back to the TX.
Sep 04, 2013, 03:07 AM
HI,

but now I am curious, how do you move the servo center on a Taranis?

Thank you, Ralf
Sep 04, 2013, 03:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapega
HI,

but now I am curious, how do you move the servo center on a Taranis?

Thank you, Ralf
From the Taranis Manual on Model setups, Servos section:

Using the Taranis Tx setup screens. Select Model screen 7 of 12, Servos.

3rd column for each channel is 'Offset' or 'Sub Trim' - this will set the centre of the servo.

The last column is 'Sub Trim behavour', which only shift the centre of the servo throw. The servo will still move the servo +/- 100% of the upper and lower limits, without clipping or deadband.

So you have a choice to center the servo with a small amount of clipping or shift the whole servo output movement slightly one way or the other.
Sep 04, 2013, 03:28 AM
COOL!

I hope my Taranis will arrive soon...

Thank you, Ralf
Sep 04, 2013, 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapega
COOL!

I hope my Taranis will arrive soon...

Thank you, Ralf
My Taranis works just fine, I exercised it yesterday afternoon with my Acrowot Foamy and used up 2 x 2200 LiPo's.

BTW I am using the installed NiMh, works fine, plenty of hours use between charges. Low voltage warning will tell me when to re-charge. If I change it will be a higher capacity NiMh. I cannot understand why you need to put a LiPo in it.
Sep 04, 2013, 03:48 AM
I'd say, do not charge a battery by its cover.

I have 2 LiFePos and 2 NiMh for my 11X Zero.
I did not use the NiMh for a year, I used the LiFePoS,
the NiMh had 70% charge.

I was impressed.

And one of then has just ugly green coating.

Cheers, Ralf
Sep 04, 2013, 10:10 AM
I generated the .eepe file myself in Companion9X and then loaded it into the tx. I have recalibrated the tx with the .eepe installed and nothing changed. The last .eepe file I tried was one I programmed from scratch without using the wizard to generate it. It does everything I want in the tx simulator, it just doesn't work worth a hoot in the actual tx. I guess my next step is to delete EVERYTHING from the tx and start over from scratch.

You know, when we were all waiting for the Taranis to be released, the scariest thing I saw was a comment that if you liked how the Multiplex Evo transmitters programmed, you'd understand how the Taranis programming worked. I had an Evo and didn't much like their programming. I eventually figured it out well enough to program a model. (Same model I'm using for the Taranis, actually!) I seem to have a handle on the programming of the Taranis, at least in C9X but for some reason, it doesn't seem to work in the actual transmitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircogi
It sounds to me like you downloaded the .eepe from someone else and loaded it directly into your transmitter. That will mess up your calibration.

Re-calibrate your TX. Then in the future, first read the flash from your transmitter and just copy-paste the downloaded model into that configuration which your re-flash back to the TX.
Sep 04, 2013, 10:12 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Can you post your eepe file?