Dec 24, 2014, 08:43 AM
65 years of RC flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by neavissa
Hi,

I have a Spektrum DM9 module, just like the one in the picture. I used it in my Futaba 8FG to fly my BNF Blade Helicopters. I am wondering if I can buy a cable, that fits the Futaba Trainer port (which is what the module has), and the Taranis?! Is that a good or bad idea? Should I just buy one from HK and call it the day?

thanks,

G
The Spektrum DM8 is the module that fits the Futaba module bay. The DM9 is the JR version that fits the Taranis.

The one in the picture is a DM9 modified with a cable to connect to a Futaba trainer port. Was it strapped on to a Futaba?

Note that the BNF models use TAER channel order, while Futaba uses AETR. The DM8 module automatically changes the order so a Futaba transmitter can fly the BNF models. The DM9 does not change the order. This is not a problem for Taranis, as channel order is flexible.

Bottom line is that I don't quite understand either your current situation or what you are proposing to do. What I can say is that a stock DM9 works well in Taranis. Is your question whether you should remove the cable to enable that one to fit? Is so I would first need to understand whether other modifications were made to enable it to work with a Futaba.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 24, 2014, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neavissa
I would Velcro it to the back.
It is powered through the trainer port. (The cable you see is the trainer port).
Like a said, it doesn't have to fit the slot of the Taranis. It can dangle in the back.
I simply wonder if the futaba trainer port can be used on the Taranis via a converter cable?

Thanks,

G
The taranis trainer port does not have power so you will need to get that from the module slot or the plug in the battery bay anyway.
Dec 24, 2014, 12:27 PM
The DM9 works out of the box, no need for world class soldering :-) Also fits perfectly mechanically. Be sure to set servo travel to 80%, since that corresponds to 100% throw on Spektrum. See here for other settings.

-Jörg
Dec 24, 2014, 12:31 PM
65 years of RC flying
The key other settings are to change 300usec to 400usec and set shift to POSITIVE (default is negative).
Dec 24, 2014, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66
The Spektrum DM8 is the module that fits the Futaba module bay. The DM9 is the JR version that fits the Taranis.
I have a DM9. See attached picture.

Quote:
The one in the picture is a DM9 modified with a cable to connect to a Futaba trainer port. Was it strapped on to a Futaba?
YES.

Quote:
Note that the BNF models use TAER channel order, while Futaba uses AETR. The DM8 module automatically changes the order so a Futaba transmitter can fly the BNF models. The DM9 does not change the order. This is not a problem for Taranis, as channel order is flexible.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote:
Bottom line is that I don't quite understand either your current situation or what you are proposing to do. What I can say is that a stock DM9 works well in Taranis. Is your question whether you should remove the cable to enable that one to fit? Is so I would first need to understand whether other modifications were made to enable it to work with a Futaba.
I simply wanted to know if I could use my module the way it is. I was hoping that there is a cable that can connect a Futaba Trainer port to the Taranis? Even if there was, as "nigelsheffield" said, the Taranis Trainer port doesn't have any power, so this would not worked anyway. Taking the cable and switch out, probably requires some soldering. I suck at soldering, ha ha. I just go and buy an new one like this...

thanks everyone,

G
Dec 24, 2014, 12:43 PM
I just bought the one of eBay. Thank you everyone for your help!

Merry Christmas!!!

G

p.s. Anyone wants to buy a DM9 module for Futaba??? LOL.

p.p.s. How much should are charge for it?
Dec 24, 2014, 01:08 PM

Crow Setup

Heeeelp

I have been trying to figure out crow on four servo wing and I am stumped. I have flaps on LS and when moved down crow works, detent is zero , and up is 2 degrees up on flaps but ailerons move down.. I need to have ailerons only move up for crow..

Thank you

Mike

Merry Christmas
Dec 24, 2014, 01:40 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
How would i mix another channel into my Throttle ch? I have some retractable landing gear that i will be putting on one of my multirotors and would like the retracts to go up when the throttle is at a certain percentage and down when it below that percentage...im sure its easy, but i thought id ask here first.
thank you
Dec 24, 2014, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSURFnGLIDE
How would i mix another channel into my Throttle ch? I have some retractable landing gear that i will be putting on one of my multirotors and would like the retracts to go up when the throttle is at a certain percentage and down when it below that percentage...im sure its easy, but i thought id ask here first.
thank you
Easy to do , but I'm not sure it is a good idea To have gear operated by throttle.
You set up a Logic switch : Lx/ a=>x/Thr/Value you want (0 is 50%)
Mix Chx Source MAX. WEIGHT 100, SWITCH Lx
Second Line Source MAX, Switch !Lx, WEIGHT -100, Mutliplex REPLACE.

Tom
Dec 24, 2014, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSURFnGLIDE
thank you
You might want to make a timer, so that they do not retract just as you take off.

Or fit the vario module and have them retract at a certain height from the ground. I do this in my gliders, and it works a treat.

BC
Dec 24, 2014, 03:32 PM

A Merry Christmas...

To you all. Wherever you are in this crazy world.

May the New Year bring you everything that you wish for.

BC
Dec 24, 2014, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmscpu
Heeeelp

I have been trying to figure out crow on four servo wing and I am stumped. I have flaps on LS and when moved down crow works, detent is zero , and up is 2 degrees up on flaps but ailerons move down.. I need to have ailerons only move up for crow..

Thank you

Mike

Merry Christmas
there are several ways to set up crow with four wing servo. the attached is my current method for a glider (no motor). in my case i use the throttle to deploy crow. The throttle works with curve 1 - where throttle down is 0 movement, throttle up - full movement
on the attached you will see i use a seperate channel (no 11), and use a flight mode (landing). for each control surface (left ail, right ail,left flap, right flap), there is an entry to channel 11. in my case i have been using global variables to set the amount of movement, but you could put an amount for each servo. then you need to check you have the right - or + throw for each servo to get the desired direction
Dec 24, 2014, 04:42 PM
I just got and tried the HK 18 ch Sbus decoder on my x sbus 4 ch receiver. Seems to work ok. Decodes all 16 ch, one button setup at power on the first time.
SM
Dec 24, 2014, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkfly
Easy to do , but I'm not sure it is a good idea To have gear operated by throttle.
You set up a Logic switch : Lx/ a=>x/Thr/Value you want (0 is 50%)
Mix Chx Source MAX. WEIGHT 100, SWITCH Lx
Second Line Source MAX, Switch !Lx, WEIGHT -100, Mutliplex REPLACE.

Tom
Thank you!!
Dec 24, 2014, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_Cole
You might want to make a timer, so that they do not retract just as you take off.

Or fit the vario module and have them retract at a certain height from the ground. I do this in my gliders, and it works a treat.

BC
sound advice...totally forgot about still being on the ground and possibly hitting that throttle % threshold...that would not be good.

I will look into the vario option.

Quick Reply