This thread is privately moderated by Mochaboy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 16, 2013, 10:03 PM
Radd Graduate '06
Discussion

RF Explorer Scans - MinimOSD

Should be obvious copper tape and some cat shielding does wonders quieting otherwise noisy systems, but for those of you without RF Explorers, it's impossible to quantify just how much...until now that is

First a few things. I have on my bench

1) RCTimer MinimOSD v1.0
2) 3DR MinimOSD v1.1
3) ebay MinimOSD v0.1

I scanned all three and they all walk over the UHF control band. This in itself is fascinating because I was under the impression that recent versions of the MinimOSD board switched from Linear to Switching regulators. The Switching regulator options have options of switching at 550mhz, or 1200mhz, whereas the linear ones are just that. I have to check the schematics, but I didn't see any spikes in those ranges yet there is a significant rise in the noise floor up to 12" away from the unit.

Anecdotally, I've read across different posts that cpu processor clock cycles happen to coincide with the control band - only about -100db but still, it's noticeable. MinimOSD on the other hand raised the noise floor substantially within the typical distances of components on multirotors.

Anyway - I stitched together some scans...should be obvious which ones are which...Confirms obvious things we already know - like put your parts away from each as much as possible, but what's even more exciting is, how much copper foil tape dampens the effect

Last edited by Mochaboy; Nov 12, 2013 at 03:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 04, 2013, 11:06 AM
Learning to Ride Dragons
Do you have a picture of the copper tape system you used to shield the MinimOSD?
Oct 17, 2013, 08:31 AM
would love an update on this. I am having horrible interference with Minimosd and my UHF system.