Jun 14, 2013, 01:25 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Thread OP
Discussion

Oh Dear, Oh Dear, time for a tin hat, literally.

I spotted this thread in the Flight Accessories forum, clever, but frightening at the same time.

The videos explain it better, especially the third and forth.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1911358
to remove ads between posts
Jun 14, 2013, 02:33 PM
Pro Hoarder
Some how that has to be a really bad idea!....can you say forest fire!
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jun 14, 2013, 03:04 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Thread OP
My worry is, I think this is exactly what too many beginners to the hobby want, .......dropping bombs, firing rockets, shooting guns, etc.

Instant access for beginners to UAV's, FPV's, and now weapons ?
Jun 14, 2013, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
My worry is, I think this is exactly what too many beginners to the hobby want, .......dropping bombs, firing rockets, shooting guns, etc.

Instant access for beginners to UAV's, FPV's, and now weapons ?
Maybe not in the UK.....
Jun 14, 2013, 04:48 PM
They didn't do their testing in the Denver area, did they?

Pete G.
Jun 15, 2013, 06:43 AM
Almost certainly not in the UK, unless the government can tax the hell out of it - or they find a way around the firearms/explosives laws.
Personally, I don't see the point. I like to build model aircraft, not kiddies toys. However, there are a lot of morons out there and, providing their pockets are deep, the RTF market does make this type of lunacy possible.
The really worrying part is that it only takes one such moron to ruin the hobby for the rest of us. I realise they are probably aimed at display flying but if they're available, someone, somewhere will simply HAVE to have them. Just the type who isn't too fussy where he uses them and couldn't give a stuff about public safety.

Okay, the miserable old git has finished his rant.

Pete
Jun 15, 2013, 07:35 AM
I eat glue
I agree with the miserable old git.
Jun 15, 2013, 08:05 AM
That should do wonders to allay the fears of the ever vigilant, not-likely-to-take-to-knee-jerk-reaction, American public that ours is a harmless, very safe, and environmentally responsible hobby.

I anxiously await the next video, which might show them firing flares into some dry brush right next to a school. That'll go over well once the first bored reporter gets wind of it...
Jun 15, 2013, 08:08 AM
Or current resident
In this post 9-11 world this is a very, VERY, BAD idea!
We are having a hard enough time hanging on to the privilege of operating our models in the national airspace as it is.
All it would take is for the media to get wind of this and they would make it up like some sort of WMD! The sky is falling!!! Ban the drones!!! Drone fires live ammunition at (insert sensationalism here) Film at 11....

Glenn
Jun 15, 2013, 04:08 PM
This is against AMA rules; we are not supposed to be able to fire anything from our models. I now that many have mixed feelings about the AMA, but at least for those of us who belong, it does set limits and standards which are meant to keep us from doing silly or dangerous things...
Jun 15, 2013, 04:45 PM
Or current resident
Like the AMA or not, they have lobbied in Washington to prevent our hobby from being restricted or worse, banned altogether! Irresponsible behaviour like firing anything from a model will result in a knee jerk reaction by legislators that will not go in our favor....
IMO, we are walking a thin line here and it won't take much to turn public opinion against us!
Glenn's $.02...
Jun 15, 2013, 09:59 PM
Second Amendment protects the citizen's right to fly drones methinks!

Sorry guys - couldn't resist ;-0)
Jun 16, 2013, 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Agassiz
Second Amendment protects the citizen's right to fly drones methinks!

Sorry guys - couldn't resist ;-0)
Tell that to the left coast boys and girls in Oregon. It is already against the law to fly a "drone"... and God forbid if it has a camera on it!!!!!

(I just have a problem with anyone telling me what I can and can not do...)
Jun 16, 2013, 01:21 PM
JustFlying
Prototype Quadrotor with Machine Gun! (5 min 12 sec)
Jun 16, 2013, 01:30 PM
Or current resident
That guy should work in Hollywood! Looks like a green screen composite to me.
How else wound you explain the smoke not being sucked through the rotors?
I've never seen a quad with tilting motors either....

Quick Reply