Jun 10, 2013, 11:18 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Evolution 20GX vs DLE20 for Revolver 60, Sport Flying

I'm looking for an engine to install into a Revolver 60. (70")

I'm not looking for 3D performance, mainly sport flying.

I had a DLE20, but never set it up, sold it...possibly prematurely..??

The reason why I through the evoltion in the mix is it's a nice engine, I hear good things about them.

On paper the DLE may actually deliver more performance, however the peak RPM is lower...will the evolution run faster all things considered since it has a higer RPM? It does weigh a tad more..

Technical Stats:

20GX:
Weight: 33.6 oz (958 g)
Displacement: 1.20 cu. in. (20.00 cc)
RPM: 1,800-10,000
Carb: Regulated with Muffler Pressure

DLE20:
Weight: 28.9 oz (820 g)
Displacement: 20.5 cc (1.22 cu in)
RPM: 1,750 - 9,000
Carb: Pumper

Thanks!
Last edited by xDennis; Jun 10, 2013 at 11:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 11, 2013, 12:06 AM
Sucker for biplanes
I'm dealing with the same thing also. I was going to order a DLE 20 for my Revolver 70 that I'm building. I have a Evo 10gx that I had some problems with getting the tuning right. Got it running good after awhile. I also have two VVRC 20cc engines that are the same as the DLE 20, just a little less $$$. They both run great right out of the box! Only problem with the VVRC 20 is the prop shaft size is weird and its hard to keep the props tight. (Im in the process of getting it figured out). Know the DLE 20 has been proven world wide to be a great engine. The Evo 20cc, well there's not much info out there about how they run. Check out the Evo engines 15cc forum, seems there are problems right out of the box....

Funny, I was going to pull the trigger tonight ether a DLE 20 or a 20GX?? I just want to fly and don't have time to figure out the 20gx. Also the DLE 20s are on sale and can be picked up for around $220, doesn't come with a pitts though, LOL
Jun 11, 2013, 12:57 AM
Sucker for biplanes
Another thing to think about is the front carb may be easy to work with on the revolver 70. There's some threads on the Revolver and the DLE 20 being hard to run the throttle linkage.
Jun 11, 2013, 01:04 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the info, I didn't know about the VVRC version...is this an identical item?

I guess since te DLE20 is proven to be successful and the Evo is still a little iffy, it seems that the logical answer is to go with the DLE
Jun 11, 2013, 01:05 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMHIGHFLYER
Another thing to think about is the front carb may be easy to work with on the revolver 70. There's some threads on the Revolver and the DLE 20 being hard to run the throttle linkage.
Funny you mention that.. I had a DLE20 bolted up (prior to selling it) to the revolver and it was a major PITA to link up the throttle..

One of the many reasons why I got frustrated with the plane..

But now I'd like to finish it and get her up!
Jun 11, 2013, 07:16 AM
Sucker for biplanes
The VVRC is the same engine, but the prop hub is different and the prop shaft is a 8x.75mm. VVRC is a very good company also. I had been thinking of the 20gx because of the throttle linkage and the front carb. I think Im going to stick with the DLE and use a flexable linkage and add a mini servo for the choke. I used this set up on a P-51 with a VVRC 20cc and worked well.
Jun 11, 2013, 09:14 AM
The Evolution 20cc gas engine would be pretty much a simple drop in install, just like mounting a glow engine. The front carb setup is the same as a glow engine making it easy to install and setup on the plane.

The DLE on the other hand can be a real hassle to get it installed and setup with the rear carb and standoffs. The Revolver has a small nose on it thus it makes putting the DLE engine even more tricky as the standoffs may not fit on the firewall because it is more narrow. Then you have to figure out how to hook up the throttle too. Plus what to do with the choke as well.
Jun 11, 2013, 11:03 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the input as always Earl.

In terms of performance, how much different would the two engines be?
Jun 11, 2013, 11:17 AM
I don't think there really is a performance difference between the two engines. I normally always thought of the reed valve intake engines having less performance over a rotary valve intake engine. But the newer reed valves don't seem to be impeding the performance by much if any like they used to.
Jun 11, 2013, 01:10 PM
Thread OP
Called my LHS to hold one, come to find out they're not even available yet..?? Geez, I hate getting ready to make the purchase then find out it's back ordered, discontinued or not available.

I hate to but another DLE (only because I know of the throttle hassle) but it's looking like that's what it will be.
Jun 11, 2013, 02:31 PM
Horizon Hobby shows the Evolution 20GX engines are in stock. I think your LHS was too lazy to look them up or he was trying to sell a DLE 20 he had in stock. You can order it direct from Horizon too.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ngine-EVOE20GX
Last edited by earlwb; Jun 11, 2013 at 02:32 PM. Reason: add more information
Jun 11, 2013, 03:12 PM
Warbird & Jet Lover
Yep. In stock and ready for delivery.
Jun 11, 2013, 05:09 PM
Thread OP
I called back, he said it can be ordered. :-) Said they were having issues connecting to the Horizon site earlier.
Jun 11, 2013, 05:56 PM
Gas Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDennis
I called back, he said it can be ordered. :-) Said they were having issues connecting to the Horizon site earlier.
I got mine from Horizon. Came yesterday. There is no apparent problem getting them.
Jun 11, 2013, 07:11 PM
Sucker for biplanes
The 20gx is the 1.20nx glow engine, with a pump carb. It should drop in the revolver just fine. The DLE 20 is beam mount and does not have standoffs, It drops right in also and you can use the engine mounts that came with the plane. I think that the EVO 20GX will be less hassle to mount and hope that it runs well...

Quick Reply