Jun 09, 2013, 09:26 AM
Jack
Thread OP
Mini-Review

iPower GMB4006-KIT Gimbal Motor Kit

There has not been many kit motors from the Chinese motor makers in recent years. The recent rise in interest on gimbal mounted cameras, and the need for winding of motors for those, has brought a new kit onto the market from iFlight RC. It is a little strange in that, while there is no info on the kit motor on the iFlight pages, one of their dealers here in the U.S. is already selling them:

GotHeliRC? Brushless Gimbal Motors - http://gothelirc.com/shopdisplayprod...+Gimbal+Motors

A friend recently send me one of the iPower GMB4006-KIT motor kits. This is a 50mm O.D. pancake style 12N14P motor that will weight about 85 grams or so when wound. It has a 40mm x 6mm stator and would be called a 5025 or something similar to that in terms of it's external dimensions.

The motor is sold as a kit for winding motors for camera gimbals but, of course, it will work as a flight motor too if wound for that. The details on the kit parts are as follows.

Parts List

1 - 40mm x 6mm 12 arm stator
1 - Flux ring/magnet housing with 14 magnets mounted and shaft fitted
1 - Bearing tube/back plate/motor mount
2 - Bearings (5/16" x 1/8" x 9/64")
1 - Circlip
3 - Small heat shrink tubes
1 - Larger heat shrink tube

The parts are seen in the first image. As you can see, I was already playing around with some wire. That is 23 turns of 23 AWG (0.64mm) wire on there and there is just enough room to do the same wind on the adjacent arm.

Magnet Housing

O.D. = 49.5mm
Height = 13.3mm
Magnets = 7mm wide x 6mm high x 2.5mm thick
Shaft = 3.175mm (1/8") x 32 mm, 10.5mm exposed above housing
Weight = 37 grams
I.D. on magnets = 41.27mm, magnet gap is approximately 0.37mm

The top of the housing is drilled and tapped M3-0,50 in a 12mm x 12mm pattern for a prop adapter (not included).

12 Arm Stator

O.D. = 40.53mm
I.D. = 14mm
Height = 6.13mm
Laminations = 16 (0.35mm laminations?)
Weight = 22 grams

Stator is nicely coated with typical green powder coat insulation and ready for winding as received.

Bearing Tube/Back Plate/Mount

Has a 25mm mounting flange drilled and tapped for four M3-0,50 screws on a 19mm x 16mm pattern.
Tube and back plate is 14.5mm in overall height, stator mounting portion is 14mm O.D. x 6.5mm high.
Height from firewall to top of magnet housing on a mounted motor is 24.5mm

The bearing tube is a light press fit into the stator, stator has a groove for a half round pin, no matching groove is on bearing tube but it could be easily added to allow use of a pin to lock the stator against rotation on the bearing tube. Or, as is most often done, the stator can be mounted with an adhesive.

Summary Review

The workmanship on the parts is of good quality, no deficiencies were noted on any of the parts as far as my expectations for a motor in this price range.

My initial impression is that there is adequate clearance in the stator arm slots for two layer windings of 22 AWG wire on adjacent arms. That would be an easy wind. Hero Class man knitters may be able to fit 21 AWG wire with some threading of final turns.

The windable length on the arms was good for 14 turns of the Techfixx red (155C rated) 22 AWG (0.64mm) wire I did the test wind with. That is a windable length of about 8.96mm.

Jack
Last edited by jackerbes; Jun 11, 2013 at 09:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2013, 10:43 AM
Suspended Account
How nice! Is this type of motor useful for spinning props?
From the looks of things aerial photography is being outlawed throughout the country.
With that large wire how will you get to the 5 to 15 ohm resistance needed for the controller? Which I don't understand why it needs so much resistance.
Last edited by zeroback; Jun 24, 2013 at 03:03 AM.
Jun 09, 2013, 12:00 PM
Jack
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroback
How nice! Is this type of motor useful for spinning props?
From the looks of things aerial photography is being outlawed throughout the country.
With that large wire how will you get to the 5 to 15 ohm resistance needed for the controller? Which I don't understand why it needs so much resistance.
The deal on the 5-15 Ohm resistance is that the motor interfaces with a gimbal camera controller and not an ESC. The device is a LM something or other IC and it has to find the resistance in that range for it to work. Gimbal motor rewinding is like rewinding apples and we are rewinding oranges.

Otherwise, this guy is just another stator with another set of magnets, a 12N14P motor, and it is good for use as a flight motor.

I just wound that guy, ran it up with a prop, and it actually looks like a good motor. 85 grams or so, 700 Kv or so, and it ran a GemFan 11 x 4.7 very nicely on 3S and 4S without even starting to get warm. It was 107W on 3S (tired battery), 207W on 4S and has plenty of room for growth on prop sizes. I'm working on a thread with the details of the rewind now (23 turns of 22 AWG Half Parallel dLRK-Wye). That will be posted soon, maybe even today.

The details on the winding of this kit motor is here:

iPower GBM4006-KIT Half Parallel dLRK Rewind mini-how to - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1908720

Jack
Last edited by jackerbes; Jun 11, 2013 at 09:46 AM.

Quick Reply