BLHeli serial monitor - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by sachiho, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 08, 2013, 06:43 AM
Idea

BLHeli serial monitor

Latest version is here

I managed to add the serial communication function to BLHeli firmware.

Although CPU has a serial communication function, since this pin was not able to change assignment freely, I decided not to use this.

Instead, I selected the white C2D pin which everyone can use.
Low speed serial communication was created by software so that a signal might be taken out to this pin.
Standard transmission speed 600.9pbs was obtained by carrying out 13 dividing of the Timer2 interruption called a 128us cycle.

although I would like to know the number of rotations of a motor, I didn't undenstand yet how to do it.

Now, 8 bytes of packet is outputted and their contents are blow.
0: Character 'U'
1: Requested_Pwm
2: Governor_Req_Pwm
3-5: Gov_Integral error
6-7: Gov_Proportional error -> Comm_Period4x

The source code added the processing which calls a serial output routine in the interruption routine of Timer2.
I worked based on BLHeli 10.3 source for XP-7A.
(In order to build by ASEM-51, the notation of macro and define was changed. Thanks to T. Hiro)

Anyway, I think that such a function is useful for a telemetry or a motor setting.
I am glad, if some people know how to get to know the "present" motor speed, from the variable in BLHeli and you will teach.

The source code and HEX file of firmware and the test PC-program are attached.
Last edited by sachiho; Jun 15, 2013 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Program updated
to remove ads between posts
Jun 08, 2013, 09:16 AM
Wow, that is cool. Great work .

The present motor speed is stored in the "Comm_Period4x_L" and "Comm_Period4x_H" variable. This is the number of timer 2 counts (500ns) between 4 commutations. And there are 6 commutations for one electrical revolution.
Jun 08, 2013, 04:26 PM
Latest version is here

Thank you for helpful comment.
I'm very happy to know you are interested in my work.

I was able to get electric rotation speed as your comment.
Although I took pains to understand conversion to mechanical rotations, calculation was very simple when I understood.

Now, I got the head speed monitor which I wished.
My SuperCP head was rotating at 80% of speed of motor kV in the zero pitch.
It is in agreement with 81% of the default value of BLHeliSetup!

The new firmware and PC program which can display motor speed and head speed are attached.
Last edited by sachiho; Jun 15, 2013 at 02:10 PM.
Jun 09, 2013, 09:08 AM
Registered Fiend
Awesome work Sachiho, very impressive you have super and blheli working so well. Do you have and video of the heli in flight please?
Jun 09, 2013, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by microrcfiend
Awesome work Sachiho, very impressive you have super and blheli working so well. Do you have and video of the heli in flight please?
OK, I uploaded my video in youtube.
Since the room in Japan is very narrow, it is the movie merely hovered.

SuperCP with BLHeli firmware (2 min 29 sec)

Edit: It can hover 4min by using old stock 240mAh lipo. 10min by using 360mAh lipo!
Last edited by sachiho; Jun 09, 2013 at 11:17 AM.
Jun 09, 2013, 03:52 PM
Great!
Very interesting and promising project!
Is it possible to use the telemetry with the Devo TX?
Jun 10, 2013, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4712
Great!
Very interesting and promising project!
Is it possible to use the telemetry with the Devo TX?
Thanks 4712. Your advice was all the beginnings.
For the moment in Devo TX (with deviation firmware), telemetry can be used only restrictively.

It is mainly for restriction of a receiver end.
In the case of a micro helicopter, the sensor for telemetry cannot be added to a receiver and the software of a receiver cannot be changed freely, either.
It seems that a MultiWii project also adds a Bluetooth module to telemetry in many cases.

If the DEVO side is also equipped with BT module, the software which displays data on the screen of DEVO can be made, but there are not many people who think that this is important.
In telemetry by additional BT, android phone etc. will be used for a display in many cases.
Last edited by sachiho; Jun 10, 2013 at 05:36 PM.