This thread is privately moderated by Sweetieinsf, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 06, 2013, 11:39 PM
Master of Disaster!
Thread OP
Mini-Review

RCLander All Metal 100 degree with 90 degree rotation retracts for War Birds

A BIG thanks to Max at ParkRCModels.com for his EXCELLENT Customer Service in getting these units to me for this review!

First watch the video, Comments after!

RCLander 100 deg All Metal Retract Quickie Review (11 min 27 sec)

I found these units on the RCLander web site and finally found them available at ParkRCModels.com. The owner, Max, was EXTREMELY helpful in answering my questions and shipped them to me US Postal Insured Priority Mail at NO CHARGE!

According to Max "We bench test everything before we ship - we won't ship anything we won't trust to fly ourselves - HOWEVER factory defects do happen - even after some use - We have a very liberal return for replacement / repair / etc policy directly from our Michigan USA warehouse - if it stops working and it has not been because of abuse or buyer mis-adventure or a crash we will generally replace it if it is from a defective or factory defect - we are more expensive than HK - however most of our products have shipping included ( orders under $20 - $3 low order fee) AND extraordinarily large cartons like our planes and jets and larger helicopters do have a actual shipping fee"

Considering the free shipping, the bench testing, the GREAT Customer Service and Warranty Policy, AND the quality of these units I was happy to pay the $69.95 price.

Once in hand a quick assessment as to the suitability of these units as replacements for the cheap Dynam gear lead me to these early conclusions:

1) The quality is excellent!

2) The 100 degree sweep is ideal for use in the war birds such as the Dynam Corsair and Hellcat

3) The slower retract/extend speed gives a really nice scale feel

4) The modifications to install these in the Dynam model are a reasonable task for any modeler with decent shop skills. The mounting screws do not line up at all but a simple adapter plate could be fabricated fairly easily. The oleo/strut length is too short for both planes but again a fairly easy mod.

5) The oleo springs should probably be swapped out for softer springs (available at your local hardware store for less than a buck apiece)

6) The strut and axle diameters are a bit on the small size (3mm and 2.5mm respectively)

7) Weight - Stock units (no wheels) 55 grams, RCL units (no wheels) 60 grams. No appreciable difference in weight!

8) Wheels - The stock 70mm foam wheels are "ok" (the tires on my Hellcat already show significant wear after about 20 flights...), the RCL 45mm foam wheels are just to small. I prefer the (heavier for sure) 68mm rubber wheels that came with the PW-RC units and I would install these or something similar if you, like me, fly from a rough field.

9) After considering all of the above I am going to look closely at the dimensions and cost of the larger version in regards to simplifying the install. Although the weight of both planes easily falls within the recommended load rating for the small units the size of the large units may make the installation easier. More on that as soon as I hear from Max on the dimensions and price.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 07, 2013, 08:29 PM
will keep looking...thanks save me some $$ so far...like them, but they don't fit, will see if you can overcome that
Jun 08, 2013, 12:58 AM
Master of Disaster!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weed89
will keep looking...thanks save me some $$ so far...like them, but they don't fit, will see if you can overcome that
For me it's a 2-3 hour job to make the mods to get these to work but I was hoping to find an easier solution for the many who don't have the skills/time/desire to spend on making these fit. The larger set are not worth the substantial extra price and don't fit much better so I'm going to mod the set I have to fit my Hellcat (same as the Corsair but the struts are a bit longer) since the gear in my Corsair are doing pretty good and the Hellcat's gear suck. I'll document the mod and report on the results when I have the time - currently working on an FPV setup for my C-47...
Jun 08, 2013, 10:44 AM
will look forward to the gear mod. If I feel it's doable by me... I will get a pair of these. they look rock solid.

I have zero issue with modding the mounting .. making them longer is what is stopping me so far

perhaps if you tell Max the correct dimensions it needs...they can get them made that way too?? wishful thinking..
Last edited by Weed89; Jun 08, 2013 at 10:54 AM.
Jun 09, 2013, 10:53 AM
Master of Disaster!
Thread OP
Quote:
will look forward to the gear mod. If I feel it's doable by me... I will get a pair of these. they look rock solid.

I have zero issue with modding the mounting .. making them longer is what is stopping me so far

perhaps if you tell Max the correct dimensions it needs...they can get them made that way too?? wishful thinking..
Extending the struts should be no big deal if the 3mm strut pin proves to be heavy enough. Just loosen the grub screws and use a 3mm motor shaft in it's place to get the extra length. Even to drill out the strut and trunnion for a 4mm motor shaft is no big deal. These are much easier than the stock units to disassemble so you don't get chips inside. I'll try to get on it this week. Making an adapter plate to fit the mounting screws is more work but even at that it shouldn't be to tough. In fact you could use the mounting plate from the stock retract with a bit of mod. I'm thinking I'll cut them out of aluminium using the stock plate as a template.

I'll mention to Max the idea of an adapter plate
Jun 09, 2013, 01:50 PM
I DONT CARE FOR SPLITTING THE CASE < WHERE THE MOTOR IS> opps caps sorry..
I did this on my corsair gear and the wire pulled off the motor during re-assembly now I have a dead gear too tight trying to shove the wires back in place for me.

I would rather Max deal with the length issue...as making a way to mount them would pose very little issue. drilling out a 4mm wire and splitting the case is another thing tho'
Jun 09, 2013, 07:54 PM
Master of Disaster!
Thread OP
Quote:
I DONT CARE FOR SPLITTING THE CASE < WHERE THE MOTOR IS> opps caps sorry..
I did this on my corsair gear and the wire pulled off the motor during re-assembly now I have a dead gear too tight trying to shove the wires back in place for me.

I would rather Max deal with the length issue...as making a way to mount them would pose very little issue. drilling out a 4mm wire and splitting the case is another thing tho'
These are MUCH easier to open up and reassemble. I'll snap some pictures when I do the mod. Really, a no brainer.

Quick Reply