Jun 06, 2013, 10:56 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771
Are the wings already sheeted?

regards
Unfortunately all of the surfaces are foam cores. I have never had to sheet cores before so that it what is going to take the most time to get right. I have a friend who can help sheet and bag them so that is a big help.

As much as I love to build, this one is more "build" than I'm used to.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 06, 2013, 11:28 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771
+1, it's AUW is 12lbs and two eflights 32s would be 11lbs of thrust (9lbs installed) with plenty of efflux to give good CFM and keep it really light
It is really tempting to go with twin fans, but I already have a BVM EVF 12s ready to go. And already have batteries from my Electra that I get to re-use.

All the ducting is already set for this size fan, so it is a perfect drop in. I have my hands full with the wings, I don't feel like I could get the ducting right without sending it to Tam or AirSally for help.

The EVF-2-12s is good for 19.5lbs thrust at 5100 watts. I'd have to do some research to see if the 12S can be run at 10S. I have no idea what motor/kv is in the 12S. I have always suspected it is the same motor as the 10S but a bigger ESC to handle more amps. Makes sense cause you need more RPM to get more thrust on the same fan.
Jun 06, 2013, 07:02 PM
Still Screamin'!
it will fly great on that set up! You will love this bird. I had one many years ago with a Dynamax and an OS 91 and it was a sweet flyer. Easy to land
Jun 06, 2013, 07:17 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent
it will fly great on that set up! You will love this bird. I had one many years ago with a Dynamax and an OS 91 and it was a sweet flyer. Easy to land
Those are the magic words..."Easy to Land". With my shorter field, I'm always looking for easy to land planes.

If you have any pictures of the inside or during the build it would be helpful. The more examples I see, the better I can visualize what needs to be done (or re-engineered).

I know it's been a while but any tips on if the recommended CG and throws were good. Also do you recall if it pitched up or down with flaps?
Jun 06, 2013, 07:29 PM
Thread OP
Okay the drama starts. I'm at 10lbs with bare body, ducting, fan and 12s packs. I have to assume I will have 6+ lbs with radio, servo, wings, retracts, wheels, struts, paint, cockpit, glue, wires...etc.

I need to start thinking if I need to take this back to 10S to get it to my target weight. Looks like I will be spending some time with the scale tonight.
Jun 06, 2013, 07:29 PM
Still Screamin'!
Pics? Its been like 25 years!! Did they even have cameras back then
Jun 06, 2013, 07:30 PM
Still Screamin'!
I think mine was like 14lbs dry.
Jun 06, 2013, 08:28 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Mine was close to 18 but I had speed brakes on it too.

Ralph
Jun 06, 2013, 11:18 PM
Pro Hoarder
Hi Shawn, this will be a easy flyin plane...Did you look at how thick that wing is!..with new power systems it would be cool to do new wings with a better airfoil...I still have mine. I wanted to mold it but it needs to much. I will be better staring from scratch. I have a set of really good drawing.(factory)...but I think I will stick to my 90mm one i am working on..also a 70...guess I need more time...O yes I still have your Ares.....dont worry its yours!
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jun 08, 2013, 03:01 PM
Still Screamin'!
I don't recall ,but I think it was no pitch change with flaps. I rarely used them on this plane. It was really easy to land. Almost "cub" like
Jun 08, 2013, 05:33 PM
Thread OP
Thanks...I'm feeling pretty good with all of the "easy landing" comments. Of course that all hinges on the fact that I'm an average pilot (which could be argued either way).

Let me know when you want to part with the Ares...hit me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
Hi Shawn, this will be a easy flyin plane...Did you look at how thick that wing is!..with new power systems it would be cool to do new wings with a better airfoil...I still have mine. I wanted to mold it but it needs to much. I will be better staring from scratch. I have a set of really good drawing.(factory)...but I think I will stick to my 90mm one i am working on..also a 70...guess I need more time...O yes I still have your Ares.....dont worry its yours!
Jun 12, 2013, 08:15 PM
Thread OP
Alright, starting to make good progress. The intake and exhaust are cut out. I have mocked up the ducting to ensure they function properly.

Unfortunately the Robart struts (661) that Aeroloft recommended are too long and can't be cut back enough to fit. So I have to switch to the 652s; they are on order.

I'm working with E-Flite 25-46 retracts...so they are a bit thicker that maybe the old plans wanted.

I'm about to start on the foam-core wings. I cut out the spar slots on both and made sure everything lined up. But I have never done foam core wings so wondering how much I do before they are skinned.

Do I cut out the servo pockets? Retract wells? Make servo wire channels?

Also the spars are a bit taller than the foam core, which I assume is to accommodate for the skins, but seems odd that they would want me to cut the skins to get the spar to poke out, shouldn't the spar butt right up to the skin so it makes an "I" beam?

Anyone have good links (with videos) on doing foam-core wings like this?
Last edited by sbritton; Jun 13, 2013 at 09:14 AM.
Jun 12, 2013, 08:18 PM
EDF all the way!
Yes, do all your cut outs in the foam before you sheet the wings. What method are going with to sheet the wings?
Bob
Jun 12, 2013, 08:38 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Bob.

So my friend is going to help (or loan me the equipment). But basically my understanding is that I take the balsa skins tape them together align them to the wing and trim them with the appropriate excess.

Then I do any sanding I need to do to get a nice smooth finish while they are flat.

Clean the foam cores very well, ensure all dust and oils removed.

The I use some CF/Kevlar fabric on key areas like the top of the retract area, along the top and bottom of the hinge lines and likely the entire length of the wing on both spars.

I will use some slow cure epoxy (West Systems) and use a roller to put on a very thin layer (but ensure any fabric is fully wet), and align the top and bottom skins.

Place entire setup back into the wing saddles/cores then pull a vacuum for a period of time (likely the better part of a day).

--Assuming that is remotely close, brings up the question of do I put on the wing caps during the bagging or later?

--I assume I cut out the ailerons and flaps after it is skinned.

--Do I need to put some kind of barrier between the top of the skins and the core saddles to avoid them being glued together by accident.

--I also assume the leading edge cap is sanded to the final shape and glued after the bagging process.

--Because the wing is designed to have the spars in both wings permanently, I don't know if I should bag both wings at the same time, or just put the spar in the slot (without gluing) during the bagging process to ensure the spar channel does not collapse. Doing both at the same time means I have to carefully plan the dihedral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruff
Yes, do all your cut outs in the foam before you sheet the wings. What method are going with to sheet the wings?
Bob
Jun 12, 2013, 08:53 PM
EDF all the way!
I use a different method. I tape the wood together to match the wing core. Wipe down everything. Apply a thin coat of Gorilla Glue to the wood. Wipe the core down with a damp rag. Locate the wood on top of the foam put a layer of wax paper on top of wood then use the foam core saddle on top of that. Then apply weights over the entire surface of the wing. Let it cure over night. Then repeat if for the other side of the wing. The wax paper is to protect the wood from bonding to the saddle when the gorilla glue expands and goes through the wood pores.
Bob

Quick Reply