Jun 28, 2013, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperfi1970
Degreen60, those moths have to be the nicest I have ever seen. I would be afraid to fly your planes as they look so nice, oh hell send one to me and I will give it a try. Better yet send me all three so I can get over my fear.
Do not worry about crashing a plane. Here are the Tiger Moths as I received them that I made into the SPAD and Brequet 14. The other Tiger Moth I received new and did not have the heart to bash it into something else. If you crash something and do not want to try and repair it remember me. I am like a circling buzzard, just waiting on carnage. LOL
to remove ads between posts
Jun 29, 2013, 10:05 PM
Oh heck Degreen60, those moths were not that bad off. I tend to be a little rough with my toys but manage to get them back together again. They always fly better after adding a few ounces of glue. Check out the poor little P 40. It was totaled twice. Poor thing went from stock, crashed, rebuilt, yellow, crashed and back to green. The P 51 has lived a much worst life. These things just wont die.
Jul 04, 2013, 08:05 AM
Name: IMG-20130704-00327.jpg
Views: 57
Size: 104.1 KB
Description:
I found a perfect replacement for the front cowl of the GWS Corsair at Walmart, in the paint section. For about $4.50, they have a small plastic paint pail that they sell for transferring a little paint for use with a hand brush. The photo above is the Walmart paint pail, which has been cut out, sanded and painted. If I had it to do over again, I would not sand it, but I would prime it with primer, then paint it. It is thicker, and more durable than the GWS stock cowl, and it should withstand almost anything you can throw at it. And, the surprising thing is, the weight is exactly the same as the standard GWS cowl. If you treated it with liquid tape, I believe it would be virtually indestructable.

Name: IMG-20130704-00329.jpg
Size: 183.1 KB
Description:
One other thing I've done is to apply the liquid tape idea to the standard GWS cowl by applying it to the nose of the cowl, then painting the outside with a couple of coats of acrylic paint. But, last night, I also painted the inside of the nose cone with liquid tape.

Name: IMG-20130704-00328.jpg
Views: 63
Size: 113.1 KB
Description:
Here are both cowls compared side by side...The paint I used on the Walmart Cowl is a slightly different blue color than the other, but you get the idea.
Jul 04, 2013, 11:54 AM
Great find Quizcat. Now where you last week when I ordered a new cowl
Jul 04, 2013, 06:48 PM
Hi Semperfi,

Yeah, I don't know why I went ahead and purchased the paint pail, other than just because I noticed the size of the paint pail was perfect for the cowl, and I figured I would prefit it, and just do a little experimenting with finish, etc...

I suspected I would need a replacement for the stock cowl sooner than later. But, with the potential for success at reinforcing the stock cowl with the liquid tape, I'm not as concerned that I'll really need a replacement as soon as I thought.

Anyway, I figured that if I did crack the stock cowl, in case the liquid tape reinforcement doesn't work, then I'd already have a replacement paint pail cowl ready to go.

I know it sounds like I'm obsessing over the crash potential...but, I'm really not. I just like doing mods, and trying to improve stuff.

What I'm not sure of is whether a cowl that cracks might not be the better strategy for absorbing shock, and then just having some replacement cowls waiting in the wings, or whether using the replacement paint pail would be better than replacing the cowl with the paint pail idea, the paint pail being much stronger, and having the potential to withstand a major crash with absolutely no damage.

There is something to be said for sacrificing a cheap plastic cowl to absorb shock, if it saves the front of the plane from further damage. I mean, there are other good cheap candidates up at Walmart in the dairy isle (ie: sour cream containers, etc...) that are very similar to the stock plastic cowl, ones that look like they would also work wonders as replacments for the stock cowl.

Anyway, I am hoping that the liquid tape will absorb some of the shock, and that I might get a little more life out of the liquid tape treated cowl, while also benefiting from the ability of the cowl to absorb the shock just as effieciently as it would have otherwise.

I'm going to work a little more on fine sanding the paint pail cowl, repainting it, etc...to make the finish smoother, just for the heck of it, and in anticipation of having it ready to test out if and when the time comes.

Can't wait to show you my decal mods...inspired by Degreen60's advise. Those are in the works...

Quote:
Great find Quizcat. Now where you last week when I ordered a new cowl
Last edited by QuizCat; Jul 04, 2013 at 07:01 PM.
Jul 04, 2013, 09:26 PM
Sounds good to me quiz. I tend not to mod for strength because most all of my crashes end in total destruction, a beefed up cowl wouldn't help me much. When it comes to logic and reason I tend to throw both out the window and go for it anyways. All I'm out is a toy so no harm no foul. After looking at the Formosa I decided to make it a little on the wild side because I believe the airframe can take it. I had a spare 480 on hand so in it went and off we go. It should be around 55 ounces of thrust or in the ball park. Here is the gaudy build so far, gaudy in that the daughter put every sticker on it that came in the kit, she had fun so what the heck.
Jul 04, 2013, 09:30 PM
A very nice fella from Headsuprc just let me know that they have a shipment from GWS on its way.
Jul 04, 2013, 10:18 PM
No, I love the color and the decal job! Looks great!!! She's bound to become an avid modeler for sure, if she isn't already interested...

Speaking of making decisions about the final finish on one's new aircraft...

I've developed an interest in producing a Corsair that is true to the historical legacy of the Corsair from the 2nd World War, Pacific Theater, their markings, etc...So, I've been focused on doing some internet research on, who else, Pappy Boyington, and the 214.

So, I've been doing a lot of research, and become an amateur historian concerning the aircraft of the 214, only to discover that pinning down a particular reproduction with respect to paint job and decals, and trying to claim it to be authentic with respect to the actual 214, is pretty difficult to do.

What I found out is that Pappy had no "personal" aircraft, and took one randomly off the flight line based on whether a mechanic said it was airworthy. In doing the research, I'm a little shocked at just how austere the actual planes appeared in photos from that era. They were pretty shabby, not smartly detailed, and the fact is, Pappy would routinely take the crappiest one of the bunch so his men would get the better planes. Most of the ones I saw in photos of the 214 were pretty bleak looking, sparse paint, sparse markings, etc...nothing like the stuff you see commercially produced to lure us into buying their RC products, that's for sure!

Name: Al71738.jpg
Views: 56
Size: 177.5 KB
Description: Name: VMF-214 CO Boyington at Barakoma Airstrip on Vella LaVella Island.jpg
Views: 79
Size: 280.3 KB
Description: Name: Rp44982.jpg
Views: 56
Size: 162.2 KB
Description:
This is one he actually did fly, #883, but he just borrowed it from another pilot who flew it most of the time...Looks like a total piece of junk doesn't it? Well, that's understandable of course...it was war!

Name: 000_0754small.jpg
Views: 51
Size: 98.0 KB
Description: Name: stk0075.jpg
Views: 60
Size: 23.9 KB
Description: Name: DSZ_8181.jpg
Size: 145.8 KB
Description:
We are all lead to believe that they all looked like this... Wish that was true... Well, maybe the monochrome photos of the actual thing don't help the situation

Historically speaking, and in all fairness to Pappy Boyington, I'm left with the conclusion that Pappy was kind of an enigma, a slug in some ways, and truly a Prince in other ways. Giving your men the best planes, and relegating yourself to the crappiest one of the bunch, then going into mortal combat with the worst plane of the bunch when you could have selected the very best, doesn't jibe with Pappy's less than stellar legacy in many other aspects of his life.

I've decided to use a little license in producing mine, so we'll see how it turns out when I'm done...I'm more in your daughters camp with respect to being "creative," and I like the bling...

Quote:
Sounds good to me quiz. I tend not to mod for strength because most all of my crashes end in total destruction, a beefed up cowl wouldn't help me much. When it comes to logic and reason I tend to throw both out the window and go for it anyways. All I'm out is a toy so no harm no foul. After looking at the Formosa I decided to make it a little on the wild side because I believe the airframe can take it. I had a spare 480 on hand so in it went and off we go. It should be around 55 ounces of thrust or in the ball park. Here is the gaudy build so far, gaudy in that the daughter put every sticker on it that came in the kit, she had fun so what the heck.
Last edited by QuizCat; Jul 04, 2013 at 11:01 PM.
Jul 05, 2013, 08:44 AM
I'm with ya Quiz. Pappy was unorthodox in most aspects of his navy carrier and life in general. Being a Marine I have taken interest in the Black sheep squadron and there exploits. Considering Pappy's over the top behavior it seems as though the planes would have taken on artwork like the AVG's P 40's did in China. I can imagine there logo being a pair of boxing gloves on the engine cowl or a bottle of whisky. Pappy was loved and revered by all but those that had to try and manage him. If I were a WWII pilot you sure bet I would have followed him straight into hell because he would have brought me back with the devils pitch fork as a prize.
Ya Quiz, I cant complain about the Daughters sticker job. I'm just grateful its not sporting princess stickers or some silly girl stuff like that. If you want your Corsair to look true to the era be sure to add some bullet hole patches all over it, replacement body panels were hard to come by and tin cans were plentiful.
Jul 05, 2013, 10:18 AM
That's priceless! Yeah, thank God for small favors... She did a good job!

[QUOTE=semperfi1970;25488681I'm just grateful its not sporting princess stickers or some silly girl stuff like that [/QUOTE]
Jul 05, 2013, 01:50 PM
GWS Seafire
Jul 05, 2013, 03:55 PM
Degreen60, that is one mighty fine looking model you got there. I bet it will fly as good as it looks. Is your Spit EPO?
Jul 05, 2013, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Degreen60, that is one mighty fine looking model you got there. I bet it will fly as good as it looks. Is your Spit EPO?
It is one of the older foam GWS models, not sure about EPO. It flunked the crash test and flew good. It is sensitive to elevator movement so I set elevator at 70% on the TX. I like the way it flies on a 2S Lipo. If I was a better pilot I would not have broken the prop on the third landing, I let the plane get too low and could not see it land. Guess the landing was not too bad, only damage is weights knocked loose and broken prop.
Jul 06, 2013, 10:16 AM
Degreen60, great to hear the SeaSpit flew as good as it looks. Your color scheme is one of the coolest I have seen on a Spit. I have been trying to find a EPO Spit, Zero, AT6, Mustang, 106 and 190. I should be able to maiden my Formosa today with any luck it will fly. In short love the SeaSpit
Jul 07, 2013, 12:10 AM
Just a vid of the third flight of the Formosa today. I went with a 450 sport motor as the 480 was to heavy. Great flying little plane none the less.

GWS Formosa third flight (4 min 1 sec)