A change for GWS props - RC Groups
Jun 04, 2013, 12:53 PM
Alert

A change for GWS props

I am in the process of trying to sort this out with GWS and I hope I can but your precious 8x4.3 prop is golden now.
Effective immediately all slow fly props from the GWS factory that are 8", 9" or 10" have a different hub. I have already received shipment of the new style.
The new hub no longer has a 5.5mm hex socket in it. The new props have a round 7mm socket in them and come with a set of spacers to fit different sizes of shafts. The spacer set comes with two each 3mm, 4mm and 5mm ID. They do not come with a 5.5mm spacer so all the motors (Hacker, ect..) and the prop savers that we are currently using do not fit.
I do have some prop savers that are 5.5mm on one side and 7mm on the other so they will work but in the case of the hackers they will not work.
I will update this thread in the case the I can talk GWS into supplying some 5.5mm spacers.
Mike
Fancyfoam
to remove ads between posts
Jun 04, 2013, 06:19 PM
Foam alone.
The world has ended
Jun 04, 2013, 06:57 PM

A change for GWS props

Anyone know why they would change? Seems to be a popular prop. Is there some other application that represents a bigger or more lucrative market?
Jun 04, 2013, 07:47 PM
It seems that GWS is still stuck in a world of brushed motors with props that bolt on. It is cool that they want to make their props more versatile but this would have been handy 5 years ago before prop savers when we were drilling out the hubs to fit on collets. I figure in 5 more years they will start using prop savers.
Mike
Jun 09, 2013, 03:41 PM
Inspired by the wings of an An
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
I am in the process of trying to sort this out with GWS and I hope I can but your precious 8x4.3 prop is golden now.
Effective immediately all slow fly props from the GWS factory that are 8", 9" or 10" have a different hub. I have already received shipment of the new style.
The new hub no longer has a 5.5mm hex socket in it. The new props have a round 7mm socket in them and come with a set of spacers to fit different sizes of shafts. The spacer set comes with two each 3mm, 4mm and 5mm ID. They do not come with a 5.5mm spacer so all the motors (Hacker, ect..) and the prop savers that we are currently using do not fit.
I do have some prop savers that are 5.5mm on one side and 7mm on the other so they will work but in the case of the hackers they will not work.
I will update this thread in the case the I can talk GWS into supplying some 5.5mm spacers.
Mike
Fancyfoam
Mike I thought the hackers were supplied with a 5.5 - 7mm top hat spacer? Its been a whilke since I purchased a Hacker though
Jun 10, 2013, 02:32 AM
I measured a spacer from an A10-9l and the spacer is 7.8mm. This matches the hub on an APC prop.
Mike
Jun 12, 2013, 07:51 PM
Extremely Twisted
The motors that I have experience with have all come with an adapter that fits the new style props. I have to say that I think it's a change for the better...the props are much smoother and stay on better with fewer O-rings or smaller bands. It's a very precise fit.

However, it is absolutely perplexing to me that they do not come with an adapter that fits the motors that were designed for the hex mount. I hope they come with those soon because it is a real pain when you lose one of the aluminum adapters that come with the motors.
Jun 13, 2013, 12:37 PM
Don't worry be happy :)
This thread needs a picture!

Jun 14, 2013, 01:56 AM
Foam alone.
I actually envisaged the usual thick heavy centre boss, you get on props which have an adapter. That looks pretty good
Jun 15, 2013, 08:39 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
I don't know if it's the reason but the quadcopter guys have been jumping on the GWS slowfliys...
Jun 16, 2013, 05:27 PM
JR > Futaba
I'm sure someone will find a way to mod it to fit...
--Brian
Jun 26, 2013, 09:34 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
Quote:
It seems that GWS is still stuck in a world of brushed motors with props that bolt on.
Mike
++This, I always hated that about GWS props.

As for them including orings I really don't see a big deal, when you go to larger aircraft many prop vendors include those. If an oring is too small you can always use a prop reamer, though on a 5mm and smaller prop shafts that's not an option. What we really need is these motor manufacturers and prop manufacturers to begin using a standard.
Jun 26, 2013, 08:15 PM
Problem is that they send 3 different sizes of rings and none on them match the old hub size. I would say that most people do not have a prop reamer and it is a pain to ream a ring as they want to spin. I guess you would have to glue the ring in and then buy a metric reamer if you still want to use the props. Maybe I will give my daughter a project so she can make a little money and I can sell props that my customers want.
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik
++This, I always hated that about GWS props.

As for them including orings I really don't see a big deal, when you go to larger aircraft many prop vendors include those. If an oring is too small you can always use a prop reamer, though on a 5mm and smaller prop shafts that's not an option. What we really need is these motor manufacturers and prop manufacturers to begin using a standard.
Jun 27, 2013, 06:21 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Mike
Fancyfoam
This is where my 3D printer will come in handy!
Jun 27, 2013, 11:27 PM
Quote:
The new props have a round 7mm socket in them...
Ok, but what's the diameter of the center hole?

Quick Reply