The Mobius 1 ActionCam Support Thread (Posts #1-#7 mandatory reading!) - Page 51 - RC Groups
Jul 13, 2013, 12:54 PM
Just upload my first video made with the Mobius:

Mobius ActionCam - Mounted on HobbyKing Quadcopter Frame V1 + KK2.0 (4 min 59 sec)

I think quality is on pair of SJ1000 ... but maybe the Mobius still need some firmware improve, the color tone and contrast is changing too fast and too often ... per my view

Anyhow ... for less then 70$ I think it has no competitor

PS: I have a similar video done on the same quadcopter on the SJ1000 ... but this time I was quite good on eliminate all the yellow (I'm using some HobbyKing "Camera Mount Vibration Dampener Ball for FPV Models" that make some difference now)
Last edited by e_lm_70; Jul 13, 2013 at 02:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 13, 2013, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70
Just update my first video made with the Mobius:

http://youtu.be/y2CvHZLWvX8

I think quality is on pair of SJ1000 ... but maybe the Mobius still need some firmware improve, the color tone and contrast is changing too fast and too often ... per my view

Anyhow ... for less then 70$ I think it has not competitor
verz nice! Very detailed! But you are right, white balance is crazy
Jul 13, 2013, 01:24 PM
Bazinga!
Here's a few short clips from the day's flying with my new Mobius. I'm very impressed with the video quality. Colour is slightly off which is noticeable in the earth shots at the construction site. In real life it's more red-brown than yellowish. I understand that the colours will be tweaked later so this is not an issue for me. For $70 this camera kicks ass!
Aircraft: Windrider Scout Bee and RCExplorer tricopter.

Keep in mind that the sky was very hazy as it was early morning and there's some air pollution close to the city, so the haziness is not from the cam.

Mobius ActionCam first test (3 min 10 sec)
Jul 13, 2013, 01:41 PM
I noticed that Motion Detection recording is on the agenda for a future firmware update, would it be feasible to have a scheduled recording function as well?

It would then make this camera a superb all in one security camera as well
Jul 13, 2013, 02:00 PM
First-time poster. The introduction and subsequent 4 posts are an excellent overview. I commend the organizers of all the information on this forum and post.

My question is: With outdoor use, ground collisions, dropping, etc., the camera lens can get dirty or scratched. To prevent damage, is a clear lens cover available for purchase anywhere or can anyone recommend a way to make one?

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Jul 13, 2013, 02:48 PM
Dance the skies...
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngturk
First-time poster. The introduction and subsequent 4 posts are an excellent overview. I commend the organizers of all the information on this forum and post.

My question is: With outdoor use, ground collisions, dropping, etc., the camera lens can get dirty or scratched. To prevent damage, is a clear lens cover available for purchase anywhere or can anyone recommend a way to make one?

Thank you for your time and consideration.
I don't think there is a ready made one (yet?), and if there were from a 3rd party source and it was made of good quality optically clear glass, it would likely cost as much as a replacement lens for the CMOS module. I have not seen if just the lens will be sold separately yet, or what they might cost, but you can get a complete Lens/CMOS/ribbon cable assembly from the camera vendors for about $12US delivered, I think.

But having said that, I think it would not be too difficult to make one from a spare lens cap. I don't have one to try, but I do have some good thin optically clear glass pieces used for microscope slides. You can get a whole box of (75-100) for about $5US. I don't know if they will fit inside the lens cap and still allow it to snap into place on the camera case since the glass is about 1mm thick. But it could be glued on the front. But you'd have to cut the glass to fit, which can be done with a Dremel tool and diamond cutting wheel. I've done this before for other small cameras.

But your suggestion is a good one if the developer could come up with such a ready made snap on cover. It could be used in lieu of the rubber cover to protect the lens, and not have to worry about removing it before shooting like some have said. And they could be made with UV haze filter media, polarized media, etc. for more discriminating photography. I should be getting some lens covers soon, so may give this a try.
Jul 13, 2013, 03:06 PM
Here's how I mount mine to a Slow Stick. I have several similar mounts I use for other planes. I use the same mount for other cameras, including my 808's. And of course I can remove the little adapter and stick a GoPro on if I want using the standard GoPro mount.
First, since my Velcro's adhesive is VERY sticky, I put a piece of standard vinyl tape on the camera first and then apply the Velcro over that. That way should I need to remove the Velcro, I just pull off the vinyl tape and everything comes off clean leaving almost no residue.
I have put a piece of yellow vinyl tape over the lens cover to make it stand out more. And I put a little piece of red wire on the cover that serves no purpose other than hang down and get in the way to remind me to remove the cover before starting the camera. Has worked great so far. In fact without it I think I probably would have forgotten to remove the cover.
Then I made a little mount to fit my GoPro mount. The picture says it all.
Lastly I just stick the camera on the mount and double secure it with a rubber band. I never worry about rotating the video using the camera. It's easy enough to just rotate it in the video editor.
Jul 13, 2013, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
For starters, did you format the card in the camera using the camera's internal formatting routine. That may or may not help, but it's always the best practice.
Thanks Tom..... Yes mate, I always format my cards in the camera. Both 32gb micro SD cards will work in all other devices ( Android phone-PC storage-#16-Kodak Zi8-Sony PJ760)

I tried resetting the cameras. I have changed from manual record to auto camera on record. The yellow light (and rear red one) blinks twice indicating that the recording has started( mode 1) then on the third blink the yellow light stays solid. Changing to mode 2 (blue light) the same thing happens. In photo mode the red light blinks once indicating a photo has been taken but there is no file recorded on the card.

The Mobius happily accepts other micro SD cards I have so I am scratching my head.....Are the two 32gb Micro SD cards faulty....in the Mobius yes but in all other devices no. Are my two Mobius cameras defective.....With all other memory cards no but with the two 32gb cards yes....Who do I contact..The Mobius people or the card people?

Arrrgghhhh!!...

Any thoughts appreciated.
Jul 13, 2013, 04:57 PM
any Transcend 32GB Class4 works fine with my 4 mobius
Jul 13, 2013, 05:02 PM
Silent But Deadly
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70
Just upload my first video made with the Mobius:

http://you tu.be/y2CvHZLWvX8

Anyhow ... for less then 70$ I think it has no competitor

PS: I have a similar video done on the same quadcopter on the SJ1000 ... but this time I was quite good on eliminate all the yellow (I'm using some HobbyKing "Camera Mount Vibration Dampener Ball for FPV Models" that make some difference now)
nice video, quality is good
that's exactly my future setup, 450 + mobius for recording + fpv

@Tom, thanks for answering
ps: we need a 2 axis mini gimball for this cam
Jul 13, 2013, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by camuser
any Transcend 32GB Class4 works fine with my 4 mobius
Thanks for your input.

I have been down this road before with incompatable memory cards with my #16 cams. After several failed brands I settled on the Topram brand and have found them great.....until now...grrrrr

If its just a card non combatability problem then no worries....begin the search for ones likes the Transcend card you have mentioned but I'm trying to find out if its the camera maybe.

I have a 16gb Topram card that works fine.

Stuffed if I know
Jul 13, 2013, 06:23 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101airbourne
Thanks for your input.

I have been down this road before with incompatable memory cards with my #16 cams. After several failed brands I settled on the Topram brand and have found them great.....until now...grrrrr

If its just a card non combatability problem then no worries....begin the search for ones likes the Transcend card you have mentioned but I'm trying to find out if its the camera maybe.

I have a 16gb Topram card that works fine.

Stuffed if I know
I think your issue is the "class" of the card...class 4 is the preferred card for the Mobius. I have two 32GB, one 16GB and one 8GB Kingston Class 4 Micro SDHC cards that all work with the 808 #16 and the Mobius without any problems.

Regards,
John
Jul 13, 2013, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hammer
I think your issue is the "class" of the card...class 4 is the preferred card for the Mobius. I have two 32GB, one 16GB and one 8GB Kingston Class 4 Micro SDHC cards that all work with the 808 #16 and the Mobius without any problems.

Regards,
John
Thanks John......I forgot to mention that I also have a third Topram 32gb class 10 card I use in my smartphone. I just tested it in both the Mobius cameras and it works fine. So that's telling me the camera can handle class 10 cards.

I'm thinking, for whatever reason, the two 32gb cards have a defect that only the Mobius has issues with.

Oh well.......sh#t happens.
Jul 13, 2013, 07:35 PM
I'm having white balance issues as well. Sometimes WB goes crazy and jumps between different hues. It almost makes the video unwatchable.
I'm also having a constant beeping in the recorded videos. Is this normal?

Sample:
Mobius Action Cam white balance issues (0 min 27 sec)
Last edited by lensman82; Jul 13, 2013 at 07:41 PM.
Jul 13, 2013, 07:39 PM
Fly 3D Mon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moelich73
Here's a few short clips from the day's flying with my new Mobius. I'm very impressed with the video quality. Colour is slightly off which is noticeable in the earth shots at the construction site. In real life it's more red-brown than yellowish. I understand that the colours will be tweaked later so this is not an issue for me. For $70 this camera kicks ass!
Aircraft: Windrider Scout Bee and RCExplorer tricopter.

Keep in mind that the sky was very hazy as it was early morning and there's some air pollution close to the city, so the haziness is not from the cam.

https://vimeo.com/70242723
Nice video. I think the colors need a little more tweaking but this camera seems awesome!
My Mobius should be here any day now. Yay!