Dec 30, 2013, 11:52 AM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP

Mobius Step2 FW v1.13 is now available for download!

I am pleased to finally announce the release of the Mobius Step2 major firmware upgrade, FW v1.13!. It's available for download here from post #3, but before you do, please understand this is still a work in progress. Refinements are possible, but a wider base of user feedback is needed at this point. And, I don't want to clutter this support thread with all the feedback on this initial release, so PLEASE, go to this temporary companion thread to give feedback! If there's something that's not working quite right, your comments are welcome, but please keep it constructive.

A goal is to have great looking default settings so that fiddling with camera settings is not essential. But please understand that your monitor adjustments can have a HUGE impact on how you see the image quality. What looks like poor image quality to some can look OK to others, all because of monitor settings. So there is no one set of perfect default settings that can meet this goal for everyone, and that's why this FW gives you the ability to tune the key image qualities to better fit YOUR taste. And needless to say the configuration file has many more settings so a new GUI (v2.0.2.1) is essential to help manage the settings with a Windows PC, available from Isoprop's web site here.. Download and support for camera configuration via Android handheld devices should be available from Therau2000's web site here.

With all this in mind, here's an overview of the changes this FW offers:

Motion Detection
  • 3 motion triggering sensitivity levels
  • 4 recording time-out settings to keep recording after the last motion detection5 sec., 15 sec., 30 sec. and 60 sec.)
Advanced Image Setting Tab

This is a whole new GUI tab of functions intended for advanced users who know what to expect from each of the named functions. If you have no clue what these do, take the time to do some web searches for self-learning. It's not practical to turn this thread into a tutorial on the specifics of these functions. You can change one function at a time and shoot some pictures to view the differences... you'll catch on pretty quick just by observation. Or, download the VirtualDub editor, load in one of your Mobius .jpg images, and add one of the video image quality filters and preview the type of changes you can expect from each function. Here is the new GUI tab dialog display for these new features:

Sharpness, Exposure, Contrast, and Saturation

Four main slider controls can incrementally change each of these qualities. The latter three have 128 adjustment steps on each side of the normal default setting. This is VERY fine adjustment with a VERY wide range, and I'll guess the majority of users will not need to deviate from normal more than about 10 or 15 steps unless they are looking for some kind of abstract image. The selected numerical step number is displayed below the slider controls, with arrow buttons to more easily increment one step at a time.

Color Options

These simply change the color hue as indicated by the step labels with the click on the mouse. The cooler to warmer changes are pretty large and most likely will need to be tamed down after more user feedback.

White Balance

The default here is the normal Auto setting, which actually does a pretty nice job now in a wide variety of lighting conditions. But you now have four fixed WB settings as well, for Sunny, Cloudy, Tungsten, and Fluorescent lighting. But there can still be quite a variety of different light intensity and colors that these fixed setting don't render to your taste, e.g. sunlight changes as the sun elevation changes at different times of the day or year, or momentary small clouds may pass over it. And cloudy days can be fairly bright high thin overcast or darker storm clouds, and even artificial lights have many different color values. For these cases there are three Custom WB settings that you CAN change as YOU see fit!

This is done by editing the red, green, or blue CMOS gains by changing the numerical value in the respective dialog boxes that become active you left click on one of the Custom WB settings. Increasing the gain number will increase that color in the image, and vice versa. The gain values in any other WB setting can be quickly copied to a Custom setting by first left clicking on your chosen Custom gain name, then right clicking on the other WB setting name you wish to copy. The settings will be transferred to the Custom gain edit boxes, with the prior setting in those boxes shown in green to the right side of the box. The changed values are saved once you click to another function or button to exit the Custom WB setting. A small blue "Info" button next to the White Balance Function name is always active, even if tooltips are disabled, and can be clicked to open some brief usage guidance for the Custom settings. Changing gains can produce some unexpected results, and will take a trial and error process to understand how the color gain mixing affects the capture image colors. So, make small changes and view a sample photo to get the feel for how it functions.

Before anyone asks, it's NOT practical to preview any of the image quality revisions on a PC as they are being manipulated with the GUI.

And lest we forget... big Kudos to the developer for MANY hours of FW development and to Isoprop for many hours of programming this major GUI update!

Finally, in case you have already forgotten, PLEASE, go to this temporary companion thread to give feedback!
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 03, 2014 at 01:25 PM. Reason: added info and link to Android device download and support web site
to remove ads between posts
Dec 30, 2013, 12:30 PM
deleted
Last edited by therau2000; Dec 19, 2015 at 09:44 PM.
Dec 30, 2013, 12:46 PM
Hi Folks

Here you have the last promo video for this mini multicopter. Recorded with mobius 0.59 firmware

enjoy

(1 min 16 sec)
Dec 30, 2013, 01:06 PM
sry
Last edited by Knoppers; Dec 31, 2013 at 03:53 AM. Reason: sry
Dec 30, 2013, 01:23 PM
Fidler & twidler
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygen
That is not true -- that is only true if you want to publish it in iTunes. it is free to get the software to produce the software (Xcode) and you are free to publish and distribute it.
Ah ok, Thanks,
That's news to me, My involvement with Apple ended with the LCIII , & I was reporting what I had heard about a prior attempt to make a #16 gui for Apples.
Maybe with your Apple knowledge you could help the community by doing an xcode GUI app for Apples ?
Regards Mike
Dec 30, 2013, 01:35 PM
Just thumbing through...
I still use text file edit, no issues, can even use a cell phone.

I am reluctant to add anything to my computer that is not needed.
Dec 30, 2013, 02:34 PM
Finally I decided to order one mobius. From a verified vendor as the $18 I had found cheaper was from a seller that won`t be there tomorrow if anything goes wrong. I wish it was cheaper to buy two of them, anyway.

Regarding the new firmware:
I`ve seen that 0.xx series lets you downgrade firmware version, go back.
Does this new 1.xx firmware the same?
Dec 30, 2013, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by air_crash
@glue hand brian
check this page. It should help.
cool, i've removed the write protect and found some old firmware, i can change the firmware back and forth but still not working does the 3 red flashes at the back near reset button mean anything?
Dec 30, 2013, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by air_crash
Finally I decided to order one mobius. From a verified vendor as the $18 I had found cheaper was from a seller that won`t be there tomorrow if anything goes wrong. I wish it was cheaper to buy two of them, anyway.

Regarding the new firmware:
I`ve seen that 0.xx series lets you downgrade firmware version, go back.
Does this new 1.xx firmware the same?
You can go back and forth as often as you want - I do that all the time when testing the GUI. You can throw any firmware that was designed for the Mobius at it and it will work. Downgrade from 1.13 to 0.30, no problem! - Just check your parameter settings to make sure they are still correct
Dec 30, 2013, 03:28 PM
sry
Last edited by Knoppers; Dec 31, 2013 at 03:53 AM. Reason: sry
Dec 30, 2013, 03:36 PM

problem with the mobius. unknown led lights and bad quality mo

I received the camera couple of days ago.
when I start it I get 1 blue flash and 3 rear red flashes and then it shuts down again.
after a min it is starting to record ( yellow led front and red led rear)and won't let me change mode so blue flashes never appear.
when I watch what being recorded I see that at the beginning of the video the ftp is extremely slow and shows 1 frame/sec. after couple of mins it fine and then come again at the next movie.
also I see blue/ purpel lines on the video every couple of recording mins
details:
using the regular lens with firmware 0.57 that I upgraded from 0.47
Battery was fully charged before using it
I used the GUI to upgrade and to do setting modification.
recording hd(not full) with 30 fps and tried both high and low bitrate.tried both night and day recording.
using 32 gb sandisk class 4 micro sd
also, when connecting too the pc it shows a blue flash and then it terns to permanent green.
any more information required?.
Dec 30, 2013, 04:52 PM
Reap the wild wind
A big thank you to both Tom and Isoprop for all their hard work in bringing the revised firmware to us all. What a brilliant late Christmas present.
All I need now is some decent flying weather!
Andy
Dec 30, 2013, 04:56 PM
Cool, thank you for that gift! Will test tomorrow!
Dec 30, 2013, 04:57 PM
WannaBeLikeJoshTheSlowJet
i just updated mine to latest version, but now it wont record for more than 10-20 seconds, i can`t hear the audio, i hear noise at constant interval (like the red flashing led)

It was working fine with the other firmware.

any clue ?

btw, the card is a PNY 16gb class 10, the same i use in all my gopros, never had a problem with it, i did try my lexar and kingston cards and get the same 10-20 sec recording before the camera shuts down.
Last edited by bakchos; Dec 30, 2013 at 05:05 PM.
Dec 30, 2013, 05:13 PM
WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT!!!
Man i wish every thing i had updated this easy. out to test it.
Thanks G

Quick Reply