The Mobius 1 ActionCam Support Thread (Posts #1-#7 mandatory reading!) - Page 1369 - RC Groups
Aug 29, 2017, 06:59 AM
animator in Helsinki, Finland
You could try to cut a piece of non-lint cardboard, the same size as a memory card, and wet that slightly with alcohol (VHS head cleaner fluid - remember VHS? ) and push it in and out a couple of times.

Mind though, if the card is too large, too thick, or leaves lint, you may be worse off...
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2017, 10:13 AM
Dance the skies...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie
Yes Tom I did read that. I lightly sanded the connectors on the sd card and cleaned them, but I could not get inside the card holder. Would just compressed air do the trick?

It's a pity they do not provide a flip back top for that card cover
When you said you tried several cards and still had the problem, the card holder became the focus of attention. A light pulse of compressed air may help, and Janke's suggestion is worth trying if it's just some debris on one of the pins. I've also just used an old card with the card contacts wetted with some alcohol, and did a bunch of insertions, but if it's a bent or broken pin in the card holder, this won't fix it. One other thing to try is putting a piece of electrical tape on the non-contact side of the memory card, and trimming it to the outline of the card with a sharp hobby knife. This can make the card press slightly harder on the pins, but it may not eject so easily.
Aug 29, 2017, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_V939
Weird, I got 2 mobiuses upside down on 2 different cars (as I think thousand of users as well) and no problems whatsoever (and car get direct sun and more hot than under a saddle, unless you fart like a steam locomotive, of course...)
Thanks Matt, maybe it was just co-incidence, but they did get really hot, as you say it will be hotter in the car without any cooling effect of being in moving air. I'm glad to know they work ok upside down, I was getting paranoid. I was going to get a mobius 2 which effectively has the heatsink upside down( on the same side as the mount), but I would have had to design some sort of new holder. It could have been the vibration for all I know as the front one is effectively damped from vibration by being mounted on my helmet, whereas the back one is rigidly mounted.
Thanks for posting your thoughts
Aug 30, 2017, 07:29 AM
Great Southern Land
Thanks Janke & Tom

Yes it does point to the card holder, so I will try your ideas
Aug 31, 2017, 07:59 AM

camera stopped working yellow LED flashes

have a Mobius 1 (well several, but this one is unwell)
when I power it on
blue LED flashes once
rear red LED flashes 3 times
rear red LED stays on
yellow LED flashes twice a second for 10 seconds
yellow LED flashes rapidly for 5 seconds (with two or three flashes from the front red LED towards the end of the sequence)
then powers off

I can't see the device using USB or charge it

I tried reset
I formatted the SD card in another camera
no change

any clues?
thanks

PS
I read post 20504
tried cleaning the contacts - still no change
Last edited by mmcp42; Aug 31, 2017 at 08:03 AM. Reason: extra info
Aug 31, 2017, 02:03 PM

another dodgy camera

I have another Mobius 1
when I power it up
rear red LED 3 flashes
front yellow and green flash
then rear red LED on
front yellow flashes continuously twice per second
can't find any info on this combination

clues anyone?
thanks
Aug 31, 2017, 03:13 PM
Dance the skies...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcp42
have a Mobius 1 (well several, but this one is unwell)
when I power it on
blue LED flashes once
rear red LED flashes 3 times
rear red LED stays on
yellow LED flashes twice a second for 10 seconds
yellow LED flashes rapidly for 5 seconds (with two or three flashes from the front red LED towards the end of the sequence)
then powers off

I can't see the device using USB or charge it

I tried reset
I formatted the SD card in another camera
no change

any clues?
thanks

PS
I read post 20504
tried cleaning the contacts - still no change
The three rear red LED blinks during the initial boot indicates your internal battery has a resting voltage equivalent to or greater than that of a battery charged to about 2/3 total capacity. If the battery is fully charged, the green charging LED will not turn on, and not being able to see the camera as a remove able drive is typically a flaky USB cable. But that is usually bad signal on the two data wires. The battery would normally charge unless your USB socket or cable plug is completely faulty.

First, I'd disconnect the battery for about a minute and then plug back in to do a "cold" reboot of the camera to eliminate the possibility of a system lock-up. The reset button would not necessarily clear something like that. Then try different USB cables. But the flashing LED sequence you describe usually means bad memory card communication. Try different memory cards, too, and see if you can get the camera to work as a web cam using a program like Amcap or equivalent.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Aug 31, 2017 at 11:40 PM. Reason: revised the sentenced about the 3 red LED blinks... added comment about being 2/3 charged or better.
Aug 31, 2017, 03:25 PM
thanks I'll try what you suggested
Sep 03, 2017, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcp42
I have another Mobius 1
when I power it up
rear red LED 3 flashes
front yellow and green flash
then rear red LED on
front yellow flashes continuously twice per second
can't find any info on this combination

clues anyone?
thanks
finally got this sorted
I was using a bespoke USB interface
turns out a microscopic sliver of copper was sometimes shorting D+ and D- together
as soon as that was fixed it all came back to life phew!

thought I'd note the fix in case it happens to others
cheers
Sep 07, 2017, 07:49 AM

2.97 mm distortion-free lens

OK, so I bought this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172253667795

- and it's quite OK for its price, definitely distortion-free, as seen in this close-up of my 'puter screen. Straight lines stay straight!

Sharpness edge-to-edge is also pretty good. Will fit both M1 and M2, but not the MM. It includes an IR block filter, too, so no need to mess around with glue or double-sided tape!

This will be a favourite lens for me from now on.

Note, however, that it's only f:4.0, i.e. 2 whole stops slower than the "usual" f:2.0 lenses, which means it's not very good for low-light conditions. But that's the only negative thing I have to say about it - the fact that the body is plastic, not metal, doesn't seem to affect the quality.

Still photo now uploaded. May need a tiny bit of shimming to get the left-upper corner sharp...
Last edited by Janke; Sep 07, 2017 at 08:09 AM.
Sep 11, 2017, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janke
OK, so I bought this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172253667795

- and it's quite OK for its price, definitely distortion-free, as seen in this close-up of my 'puter screen. Straight lines stay straight!

Sharpness edge-to-edge is also pretty good...
It does look well corrected, especially for such a short, wide-angle lens, but the focus seems a little soft. Can you please post a side-by-side comparison to any of the stock lenses? Thanks!
Sep 11, 2017, 09:35 AM
It looks a bit soft because my camera sharpness setting is always at -70!

I prefer to do any sharpening in post - you can never remove over-sharpening, but you can always add.

Sharpening is a personal preference, so my settings may not be the best for you...
Sep 17, 2017, 08:19 PM
Hi, first time poster.

I'm not sure if this has been covered, my situation is as follows:

I use the mobius cam to take pictures using the timelapse feature. I used it in 2014 in Vietnam/Thailand on a cycling holiday by bicycle, it worked okay. Since returning home I have updated the firmware (current firmware 2.41), now I am striking problems with regard to image quality. What happens is, the first picture taken using the timelapse feature is good, but all subsequent pictures are overexposed or washed out (using 'Auto' for white balance / exposure). Manual AE lock or AWB lock is NOT enabled, so the recently found issues are either unrelated, or still not resolved in this regard, i.e. they occur even if the AE or AWB lock is not enabled.

I was happy with the performance of the camera on my earlier trips, however now it is basically not suitable for use in the timelapse mode.

Has anybody else noticed this, or perhaps, have a solution.

I have examined the EXIF data for the photos, it says the exposure program is 'Program AE' and the exposure mode is 'manual'. Perhaps this is where I should be starting? Apologies if this is very basic stuff, I'm a bit new to it.

Link to first pic of series: https://ibb.co/fiRppQ
Link to subsequent pic (typical): https://ibb.co/hm2Jik
Last edited by tspoon765; Sep 17, 2017 at 08:39 PM.
Sep 18, 2017, 01:00 AM
In case this might be a bug in the software, have you tried re-installing the firmware you used successfully in 2014? If you haven't got the file, I'm sure Tom Frank can help you...
Sep 18, 2017, 08:04 AM
Good suggestion, I have rolled the firmware back to 2.10 and will try another test tomorrow, thanks.