The Mobius 1 ActionCam Support Thread (Posts #1-#7 mandatory reading!) - Page 1356 - RC Groups
Jun 17, 2017, 10:51 AM
Hi all,

I have a slightly technical query.

I would like to build my Mobius 2 into my cars rear view mirror for maximum concealment, however, for it to actually be functional I need to be able to press the buttons.

So, what I would like to be able to do is find a means to extend out the three buttons with some wires and drill three holes in the rear view mirror cover where I want them to be.

I would also need to make the micro sd slot accessible without having to open up the rear view mirror cover every time.

Is there a good way to do this? I should imagine that soldering will be involved, which is fine. Or if there are mods available i.e. an RC that allows remote functionality of the buttons that would be even better.

I will go the extra length to get this how I want it, i.e. extremely covert and discrete, so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated and considered.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 17, 2017, 12:33 PM
Fidler & twidler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiusman
Hi all,

I have a slightly technical query.

I would like to build my Mobius 2 into my cars rear view mirror for maximum concealment, however, for it to actually be functional I need to be able to press the buttons.

So, what I would like to be able to do is find a means to extend out the three buttons with some wires and drill three holes in the rear view mirror cover where I want them to be.

I would also need to make the micro sd slot accessible without having to open up the rear view mirror cover every time.

Is there a good way to do this? I should imagine that soldering will be involved, which is fine. Or if there are mods available i.e. an RC that allows remote functionality of the buttons that would be even better.

I will go the extra length to get this how I want it, i.e. extremely covert and discrete, so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated and considered.
Tom started this thread to help "newbies" with the day today trials and tribulations, and probably would judge a Hi Tek bits bytes and wire discussion Off Topic.
What you can do is to start a thread about your project and 'Advertise' it here where people who were interested could let it all hang out in your thread rather than here amongst the less hitech people and problems.
I don't think extending the buttons is too hard, they probably have a common ground and the pins may be accessable for a fine shielded wire per button.
Mike
Jun 17, 2017, 12:47 PM
Mobiusman, did you see this movie? I think it will help you.
Assembling a hidden dash-cam from a Mobius Camera and some accessories (7 min 49 sec)
Jun 17, 2017, 12:49 PM
Your problem is the buttons are mounted on the pcb I believe, extending the lens shouldn't be terrible but everything else is mounted on the pcb
Jun 17, 2017, 03:09 PM
I would recommend dashcamtalk forum, lot of mounting solution likr this
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...te-lens.19137/
Jun 17, 2017, 05:07 PM
Mr Frankenjet that was a very nice video, I really want the dynam me262 only because its a lot cheaper than the freewing, is that a freewing?

so that's taken with standard Mobius, and go pro lens, any changes to the basics, saturation, colour etc? nice vibrant colours
Last edited by pmdevlin; Jun 17, 2017 at 05:12 PM.
Jun 18, 2017, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the replies, I will create a new thread for my question shortly.

I have seen that video in the past and I will need to utilise the camera extension cable in my project, however, as I want it fully concealed I will like to put the buttons on the outside of the plastic casing so I don't have to keep opening it up to switch it on/off or change modes.
Jun 22, 2017, 04:31 PM

The Mobius 1 ActionCam Support Thread (Posts #1-#7 mandatory reading!)

I'm experimenting with time lapse mode, but for some reason the video files generated by my Mobius are exactly 3 secs long (short!). I'm using the settings shown below. What am I doing wrong?
Jun 22, 2017, 06:11 PM
A man with too many toys
The only time I tried that I used Mode 1, 1920 x 1080 and MOV file type. You could try experimenting. Let us know if you figure it out.

Jun 22, 2017, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeabee
I'm experimenting with time lapse mode, but for some reason the video files generated by my Mobius are exactly 3 secs long (short!). I'm using the settings shown below. What am I doing wrong?
It might be a coincidence, but 3 seconds of time-lapse video at 2 seconds per frame would be 3 minutes real time, which is the minimum setting for "Video Clip Length." That setting is grayed out because it shouldn't apply to time-lapse mode, but there might be a bug. (If it was a weak battery, I wouldn't expect it to always be exactly 3 minutes.) I haven't seen that happen, though: I've taken time-lapse videos until the battery was dead, and for many hours with an external battery. I also use the 2-second setting and Mode 2 for that, so I don't think that's the problem, but I do use MOV instead of MP4 and 1080p instead of 720p.
Last edited by RogerDH; Jun 23, 2017 at 02:35 AM. Reason: remove image
Jun 23, 2017, 12:24 AM
Dance the skies...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeabee
I just did a brief test using your settings (720p and MP4 format) and it was still recording when I manually shut it off after 4 minutes of recording, producing a 4 sec. clip. I'll test again tomorrow with longer recording time, but can you post your full syscfg.txt file showing all the FW settings? Sometimes there have been interactions between un-related settings that creep in and the bug cannot be found in a reasonable amount of test time before release. That may not be the case here, but I'll test again using your full config settings.

Also, try again with a name brand CL4 memory card cleanly reformatted using the in-camera formatting routine to minimize possible memory card complications.

<edit> I did another test with the same settings and recorded for 2 hours and 2 minutes, resulting in a continuous video 2 minutes and 2 seconds in length. So unless one of your other settings not previously listed has some kind of interaction with this video mode, there is nothing in the FW causing your short clips. </edit>
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jun 23, 2017 at 10:16 PM.
Jun 24, 2017, 09:53 PM
eat, sleep, FLY FLY FLY
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdevlin
Mr Frankenjet that was a very nice video, I really want the dynam me262 only because its a lot cheaper than the freewing, is that a freewing?

so that's taken with standard Mobius, and go pro lens, any changes to the basics, saturation, colour etc? nice vibrant colours
Thanks pm,
I just attached it to my TV at home to focus the new lens and thats all. The plane gets a bit small but it was her maiden flight so I did not get the 262 in close much. It's really a great camera and it shines with the gp lens.
Jun 24, 2017, 09:56 PM
eat, sleep, FLY FLY FLY
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdevlin

Yep its the freewing, flies great so far
Jun 25, 2017, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
I just did a brief test using your settings (720p and MP4 format) and it was still recording when I manually shut it off after 4 minutes of recording, producing a 4 sec. clip. I'll test again tomorrow with longer recording time, but can you post your full syscfg.txt file showing all the FW settings? Sometimes there have been interactions between un-related settings that creep in and the bug cannot be found in a reasonable amount of test time before release. That may not be the case here, but I'll test again using your full config settings.

Also, try again with a name brand CL4 memory card cleanly reformatted using the in-camera formatting routine to minimize possible memory card complications.

<edit> I did another test with the same settings and recorded for 2 hours and 2 minutes, resulting in a continuous video 2 minutes and 2 seconds in length. So unless one of your other settings not previously listed has some kind of interaction with this video mode, there is nothing in the FW causing your short clips. </edit>
Hi Tom,
I've attached my syscfg file. I tried reformatting the memory card which did not change anything. Then I changed the Time Lapse Video setting to 1 sec, which resulted in video clips of exactly 6 sec length.

However, changing the file type to MOV made the camera behave differently. Now the video clips are considerably longer (19 and 43 secs in my two tests). Still, not behaving as it should though...
Jun 25, 2017, 07:57 PM
A man with too many toys
Try a different SD card. I have had some strange things happen with marginal SD cards.