Sep 10, 2015, 11:01 AM
I have 2 Mobius cameras and I am using SanDisk Ultra UHS-1 32GB cards in both of them with no issues at all. (48MB/Sec)
I have done 2 hour timelapses as well a test run of 1080 video for about 2 hours. Worked great.
I have been using these cards for a couple on months now.
Just Sayin'
to remove ads between posts
Sep 10, 2015, 12:29 PM
animator in Helsinki, Finland
Tom, you're the expert here, so I address this to you:

On Monday, I'm going to send a Mobius up in the air in the basket of a hot air balloon, camera unattended, and I want to clarify a couple of things in the settings that I've not used before - are these assumptions correct :

1 - If I set the recording time to, say, 15 minutes, the recording will continue with another 15 minute file until the battery runs out or the Record button is pressed once more to stop.

2 - The last file will be properly stored before the camera shuts down.

3 - There will be no lost frames between the clips.

4 - If the loop recording is set to OFF, recording will stop either when the card is full, or the battery runs out. No earlier files will be overwritten.

Are all these assumptions correct? Do you suggest that a 4 GB file size woukd be better than 15 mins?
Sep 10, 2015, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by caineroad View Post
even with C2 lens the view angle is only 140, far less than gopro 170. Is there any plan they will release a wider lens? I
I'm pretty sure the Mobius is nearing the end of its life cycle so I cant imagine any major developments for it happening,
(Though I could be wrong).
If wide angle is your deciding factor go with the GP otherwise go with the Mobius. Its your call.
Personally I dont like distorted video so the Mobius does me just fine.
Sep 10, 2015, 01:03 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyman123 View Post
I tried 32 gb PNY branded SD card
I also tried a Sandisk by mistake

Beyond that I need to order one online but im not sure it will work.
Again the mobius stays in video mode for about 20 seconds then shuts off.

I will order a kingston on amazon and see if that works

-DM123
Have you tried powering your camera with an external USB 5V power supply to rule out battery issues?
Sep 10, 2015, 01:15 PM

Docking device

Hobby king has a docking device for the mobius that has a 5.8 video tranmitter has anyone tried this or is there any risk in using this device
Sep 10, 2015, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon26 View Post
Hobby king has a docking device for the mobius that has a 5.8 video tranmitter has anyone tried this or is there any risk in using this device
It looks pretty neat and should be fine although I've not tried it myself.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2ch_200mW.html
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Sep 10, 2015, 01:37 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
comments in blue below...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janke View Post
Tom, you're the expert here, so I address this to you:

On Monday, I'm going to send a Mobius up in the air in the basket of a hot air balloon, camera unattended, and I want to clarify a couple of things in the settings that I've not used before - are these assumptions correct :

1 - If I set the recording time to, say, 15 minutes, the recording will continue with another 15 minute file until the battery runs out or the Record button is pressed once more to stop.
Yes, but only if the battery does not crap out from low temperature (which all lipos do as the temperature drops below about 40 dig. F.), and only if the memory card does not fill up.

2 - The last file will be properly stored before the camera shuts down.
Yes, that would be normal behavior unless the camera is in a crash, in which case the last file is usually not closed properly and the last clip is hopelessly corrupted.

3 - There will be no lost frames between the clips.
Only the MOV output format can do seamless clip recording, with about 1 sec. of overlap between clips. But someone recently reported this does not work if the file size is set to MAX, which would be a new FW bug (it worked during beta test several revisions ago, and I haven't tested it recently). This is something you can and should test before your project launch.

4 - If the loop recording is set to OFF, recording will stop either when the card is full, or the battery runs out. No earlier files will be overwritten.
Yes.

Are all these assumptions correct? Do you suggest that a 4 GB file size woukd be better than 15 mins?
I'm assuming you are using a known good and compatible memory card that does not stop a recording due to compatibility reasons. Given the caveat above about the MAX (4GB ) file size issue, I'd go with the 15 min. Clip size unless you can confirm the MAX setting is doing the expected S/S/C function at the end of the clip.

I'd test all these conditions so you know they are working as expected before your launch, especially if you only have one shot at it. Good luck, and post some clips here afterwards!

Sep 10, 2015, 01:46 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by caineroad View Post
I am debating whether to get this or not, I like the video quality that is comparable to gopro. But even with C2 lens the view angle is only 140, far less than gopro 170. Is there any plan they will release a wider lens? I don't understand how gopro can do it while they can't make the same?
The Mobius is not trying to be a GoPro, and the demand for such an extreme wide angle is likely too low to warrant the effort. The Mobius lenses are not off the shelf items, and are special ordered, which means long lead times and large quantities ordered. Stocking them in the hopes of selling all of them can kill the idea. That said, a few GoPro replacement lenses that will fit the 12mm threaded CMOS module of the Mobius have been tested on the Mobius and some of them seem to work OK. So you can always do your own development work to find one, or visit the other forums here to see if someone else has already found one.
Sep 10, 2015, 01:48 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon26 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
It looks pretty neat and should be fine although I've not tried it myself.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2ch_200mW.html
I seem to recall something about this, probably in the Mobius Owner's thread, so take a look there.
Sep 10, 2015, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
comments in blue below...
Thanks!

I'll let you know how it turns out.
Sep 10, 2015, 01:54 PM
Quote:
That said, a few GoPro replacement lenses that will fit the 12mm threaded CMOS module of the Mobius have been tested on the Mobius and some of them seem to work OK.
I can recommend the 1.8 mm lens I've tested, many, many posts back. In Wide AOV, it's 180 degrees corner-to corner.
Sep 10, 2015, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janke View Post
I can recommend the 1.8 mm lens I've tested, many, many posts back. In Wide AOV, it's 180 degrees corner-to corner.
Is it compatible with mobius 1.8mm?
Sep 10, 2015, 01:58 PM
I really like the mobius but the lens angle is too narrow!!
Sep 10, 2015, 03:21 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP

Mobius 2 - a brief look into the near future

With 1080p-60fps action cameras starting to show up in the marketplace, the developer has agreed to a brief status update on the M2 development here. So here's what I can tell you:

1. The M2 will obviously be capable of 1080p-60 fps as well as 720p-120 fps. Other resolutions have not been determined yet, but the M2 is NOT chasing the 2K/4K market, so don't expect it.. The goal is superior image quality at the resolutions and frame rates mentioned above.

2. Other goals are improved low light ability and better dynamic range. The imaging hardware in the M2 will be different from the Mobius of necessity, but no details on specs are being released other than it will NOT use an Ambarella DSP chip for many reasons I won't go into. I expect improvements will be more incremental than earth shattering. Improved sound capture hardware has also been incorporated.

3. The M2 design has been refined for about a 30% decrease in power consumption compared to other 1080p-60fps action cameras on the market. This means the battery size can be smaller and still give good recording times with diminished heat problems. The result is a form factor that is similar to and very close in size/weight to the Mobius, with three buttons controlling functions moved to one side of the case.

4. Needless to say excellent image quality in the Mobius tradition can be expected. Some functions will be added in stages via FW updates as they did with the original Mobius, but from what I've seen in the prototype cameras, the initial FW at release time looks like it will have a rich set of the more important basic user functions.

5. No release date or cost information is being given. If I have any further information on this, I will post it here, so asking for an update before then won't yield any new information

6. The M2 will give the user a choice of using h.264 (a.k.a. AVC) or the new h.265 (a.k.a. HEVC) video codec. So what, some may ask? This new codec will be the de facto standard for HD content in short order, replacing h.264, because it has the ability to produce video with a similar quality to h.264 compression with nominally 1/2 the data rate, OR better quality with a similar file size. For M2 users, the main benefits from this I see are:
  • Files can be 1/2 as large, essentially doubling the recording time you can save on a given memory card, or cutting in half the capacity of the memory card you may need.
  • The camera will be able to write the streaming video output to the memory card faster with less power consumption.
  • Files for a given recording can be read off the memory card and transferred to external storage about twice as fast.

The ability to produce higher quality with the same file size is also dependent on the resolving power of the lens optics, the pixel size of the camera CMOS array, and the pixel size of the monitor used for viewing the video. These will be limiting factors with the M2 since it is focusing on 1080p video and not higher resolution 2K/4K video.

Of course, your video player and editing software will need to be able to decode the h.265 content (and also encode with that codec if you want to do heavy editing while keeping the small file size). Already the latest VLC, WMP, and MPC-HC (free and recommended) players can play most h.265 (a.k.a. HEVC) videos. And there are downloadable filters for earlier Window video software that allow processing of HEVC content. Video editors (even some commercial ones) have some catching up to do to support HEVC editing. The latest WMM handles HEVC input files nicely. The latest AviDemux free open source editor does also.. This is leading edge stuff, and will take a little time to be widely incorporated, but the M2 will be ready for it.

If you want to see what the HEVC codec can do with one of your h.264 encoded Mobius videos, download the free Handbrake video converter and re-encode your original with h.265 output codec set for an average data rate 1/2 of it's native data rate! I cannot tell any visual difference when I did this, other than the file size dropped from 366 MB down to 180MB! Rather amazing if you ask me!
Last edited by Tom Frank; Mar 19, 2016 at 09:21 AM. Reason: minor updates in blue
Sep 10, 2015, 03:34 PM
"long stretch of water..."
Quote:
With 1080p-60fps action cameras starting to show up in the marketplace, the developer has agreed to a brief status update on the M2 development here. So here's what I can tell you:

1. The M2 will obviously be capable of 1080p-60 fps as well as 720p-120 fps. Other resolutions have not been determined yet.

2. Other goals are improved low light ability and better dynamic range. The imaging hardware in the M2 will be different form the Mobius of necessity, but no details on specs are being released. I expect improvements will be more incremental than earth shattering. Improved sound capture hardware has also been incorporated.

3. The M2 design has been refined for about a 30% decrease in power consumption compared to other 1080p-60fps action cameras on the market. Again, there are no specs on the DSP chip being released, but I can say it will NOT have an Ambarella chip for many reasons I won't go into. This means the battery size can be smaller and still give good recording times with diminished heat problems. The result is a form factor that is very close in size and weight to the current Mobius.

4. Needless to say excellent image quality in the Mobius tradition can be expected, and a rich feature set of user functions will also be incorporated. Some features may come via FW updates as they did with the original Mobius, but from what I've seen in the prototype camera, the initial FW at release time looks like it will have a rich set of the more important user functions.
5. No release date or cost information is being given. If development efforts go smoothly, we could see the M2 later this fall. No promises! If I have any further information on this, I will post it here, so asking for an update before then won't yield any new information

6. And finally, I saved probably the most import new feature for last, when it probably should be first. The M2 will give the user a choice of using h.264 (a.k.a. AVC) or the new h.265 (a.k.a. HEVC) video codec. So what, some may ask? This new codec will be the de facto standard for HD content in short order, replacing h.264, because it has the ability to produce video with a similar quality to h.264 compression with nominally 1/2 the data rate. For M2 users, the main benefits from this I see are:
  • Files can be 1/2 as large, essentially doubling the recording time you can save on a given memory card, or cutting in half the capacity of the memory card you may need.
  • The camera will be able to write the streaming video output to the memory card faster with less power consumption.
  • Files for a given recording can be read off the memory card and transferred to external storage about twice as fast.

Of course, your video player and editing software will need to be able to decode the h.265 content (and also encode with that codec if you want to do heavy editing while keeping the small file size). Already the latest WMP, VLC, and MPC-HC video players can play most h.265 (a.k.a. HEVC) videos. And there are downloadable filters for earlier Window video software that allow processing of HEVC content. Video editors (even some commercial ones) have some catching up to do to support HEVC editing. The latest AviDemux free open source editor has incorporated an early HEVC codec, but has some issues editing some HEVC content. This is leading edge stuff, and will take a little time to be widely incorporated, but the M2 will be ready for it.

If you want to see what the HEVC codec can do with one of your h.264 encoded Mobius videos, download the free Handbrake video converter and re-encode your original with h.265 output codec set for an average data rate 1/2 of it's native data rate! I cannot tell any visual difference when I did this, other than the file size dropped from 366 MB down to 180MB! Rather amazing if you ask me!
Thanks for the update Tom. I'll download handbrake now and try the compression.
Look forward to the new M2

Pat in Oz

Quick Reply