The Mobius 1 ActionCam Support Thread (Posts #1-#7 mandatory reading!) - Page 101 - RC Groups
Aug 04, 2013, 09:35 AM
Scratch Builder & Video Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70
Anyhow ... this my preferred way to mount my Mobius:

I sold my HD19 after buying mobius. I am happier with Mobius

to remove ads between posts
Aug 04, 2013, 09:58 AM
hi all,

Thought I'd share my findings in regards to power consumption of the (excellent) Mobius action cam. I put a regulated 5v supply through my high end multimeter to the camera's USB port and did some tests. The numbers are as average as I can get and the voltages are below 5v because drawing current drops voltage:

No battery, powered on, not recording: 225mA @ 4.97v (1.12 watts)
No battery, recording 1080p: 305mA @ 4.97v (1.51 watts)
Battery being charged from flat, powered off: 186mA @ 4.97v (0.92 watts)
Battery being charged from flat, recording 1080p: average 505mA @ 4.95v (2.5 watts)

I then made a video out cable, essentially a mini-USB B power passthrough lead with a 2nd lead for AV out, and did more tests.

No battery, powered on, not recording, outputting video: 265mA @ 4.97v (1.32 watts)
No battery, recording 1080p, outputting video: 330mA @ 4.96v (1.64 watts)
Battery being charged from flat, recording 1080p, outputting video: 550mA @ 4.93v (2.71 watts)

"No battery" is virtually identical to having its battery connected and not being charged (either through the config or because it's fully charged).

I was surprised that the aspect ratio settings in the config software appeared to be opposite of what I thought would be logical. The 16:9 setting gives a letterbox 4:3 output, and the 4:3 setting gives an anamorphic 16:9 output.
Last edited by Haku; Aug 04, 2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: corrected a milliamp value
Aug 04, 2013, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku
hi all,

Thought I'd share my findings in regards to power consumption of the (excellent) Mobius action cam. I put a regulated 5v supply through my high end multimeter to the camera's USB port and did some tests. The numbers are as average as I can get and the voltages are below 5v because drawing current drops voltage:

No battery, powered on, not recording: 265mA @ 4.97v (1.32 watts)
Battery being charged from flat, recording 1080p: average 505mA @ 4.95v (2.5 watts)

I then made a video out cable, essentially a mini-USB B power passthrough lead with a 2nd lead for AV out, and did more tests.

No battery, powered on, not recording, outputting video: 265mA @ 4.97v (1.32 watts)
Battery being charged from flat, recording 1080p, outputting video: 550mA @ 4.93v (2.71 watts)

"No battery" is virtually identical to having its battery connected and not being charged (either through the config or because it's fully charged).

I was surprised that the aspect ratio settings in the config software appeared to be opposite of what I thought would be logical. The 16:9 setting gives a letterbox 4:3 output, and the 4:3 setting gives an anamorphic 16:9 output.
Interesting numbers ... thank you for sharing.

I did measure the Boscam HD19 , and I did see around 2W consumption ... so we are on a similar level.

The metal body of the Boscam make the heat to be better dissipated .. but still ... at this power level, I don't see any issue also for Mobius.

At the price difference between the two cams ... the Mobius is clearly the best choice in the market now.

Also the battery inside the Mobius, make it a more generic camera then Boscam ... so ... actually I would expect to see Boscam selling the HD19 at less then 65$ (but I guess they count that people that buy a Boscam now it is only because they don't know about Mobius )

Aug 04, 2013, 11:42 AM
Dance the skies...
Quote:
hi all,

No battery, powered on, not recording: 265mA @ 4.97v (1.32 watts)

Thanks for taking the time to measure these power consumption figures.

First, it sounds from your video out aspect ratio comments you are running an old FW version. You should be getting the correct aspect ratios with the latest FW.

I was a bit surprised that the "standby" current (camera on with no battery and not recording) was that high, but your measurements with the video out cable plugged in seems to confirm that the video out signal generation is always on, and plugging in the video out cable simply toggles the camera to direct the video (and audio during playback) to pins 2 and 3 on the USB port. The #16 camera (much different hardware, of course) can actually turn off the video out processing, which gives approximately 10 min. more recording time available from it's internal battery.

The FW settings for image Quality should also have some impact on power consumption via the different data rates for the settings. Were your measurements done with the Quality set to default (Standard) or the High (Super) setting?
Aug 04, 2013, 12:05 PM
Question ...

I just order this little lens: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121108664123

3.7$ shipped it is not a brainier

Also it has a IR filter on the back (and I need it)

My guess tell me, that this is possibly the same lens used on SJ1000 with its "amazing/exaggerated" view angle ... if it is the same ... then also quality should be decent.

Anyhow ... I'm wandering if anybody did try to experiment with lens ..

I found tons for cheap on eBay ... from 43 to 170deg AOV ...

If they will works, or not ... who knows ... but if somebody did experiment ... will be nice to share it

PS: Are there any official lens from the developer ??? While the #16 lens+sensor is available ... I still did not see something similar for Mobius ...
Aug 04, 2013, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70
Question ...

I just order this little lens: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121108664123

3.7$ shipped it is not a brainier
Can you give the exact reference name of the lens, coz where I am living, I got some ebay restriction to your link. Thanks
Latest blog entry: Youbi XV-130 130MM FPV Racer
Aug 04, 2013, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy
Can you give the exact reference name of the lens, coz where I am living, I got some ebay restriction to your link. Thanks

What's wrong in France

Anyhow .. on eBay search for : "CCTV LENS" (filter , new, buy now, and sort by price with shipping, cheapest first)

Also ... here you can get a nice selection of lens: http://www.securitycamera2000.com/ca...TV-Mount-Lens/

Actually from SC2000 I got the replacement lens for my Boscam ... but ... I think if I would have look on eBay I would have saved some money ...

Aug 04, 2013, 01:57 PM

Mobius vs Boscam

It is an aerial video ... so I hope Tom will not complain about using "his" thread

I don't want to say ... what is the conclusion of this comparison ... anybody can have his though about it.

What I have to say, it is that I'm really hoping we are going to getting soon a new Firmware on Mobius for fix the color jumping, and as well, to get more real color ... and not saturated/fake one. I'm sure it will come soon a fix for it

One other thing ... looking the original video on a Full HD TV (I'm using a Samsung that has some magic chip inside doing some post-processing for optimize the view "pleasureness") ... I have to say, that the color looking washed out on a PC from the Boscam, they get a new dimension on the TV ... while the Mobius one ... get a bit on the "too fake side" , while on my PC they look more vivid (still a bit fake BTW)

Clearly the YouTube quality it is a bit of quality downgraded ...

Mobius ActionCam vs Boscam HD19 - On RC Aerial Video - x900 HobbyKing TriCopter (6 min 53 sec)

PS: As always ... I don't do any post processing on video .. not I allow YouTube to fix anything ... I like "as it is" video ... since if you hack ... then we get dependent on hacking technology

EDIT: I see that as fresh uploaded on YouTube, only 720p is available ... the original video is 1080p ... and it take some time to YouTube to re-encode the original video in all the "dimensions" ... so it may take few minutes for get it fully in 1080p ... in less then 1080p it make a little sense as comparative (unless you are looking for colors fidelity)
Last edited by e_lm_70; Aug 04, 2013 at 02:08 PM.
Aug 04, 2013, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
Thanks for taking the time to measure these power consumption figures.

First, it sounds from your video out aspect ratio comments you are running an old FW version. You should be getting the correct aspect ratios with the latest FW.

I was a bit surprised that the "standby" current (camera on with no battery and not recording) was that high, but your measurements with the video out cable plugged in seems to confirm that the video out signal generation is always on, and plugging in the video out cable simply toggles the camera to direct the video (and audio during playback) to pins 2 and 3 on the USB port. The #16 camera (much different hardware, of course) can actually turn off the video out processing, which gives approximately 10 min. more recording time available from it's internal battery.

The FW settings for image Quality should also have some impact on power consumption via the different data rates for the settings. Were your measurements done with the Quality set to default (Standard) or the High (Super) setting?
Just rechecked the numbers of the unit running without recording and without a battery, sorry I got one of the numbers wrong and it does use slightly more power to generate the video out signal, this is the correct observation:

I have the latest config software and latest firmware so I can only guess that the 16:9 setting refers to showing a 16:9 picture on a 4:3 screen and the 4:3 setting shows a (stretched) 4:3 image on a 4:4 screen.

I can't remember which quality setting I used but a quick test and couldn't see any real difference between the two in terms of power consumption, however I did notice that recording footage with the lens cap off uses a tiny bit more power than recording with it on This I presume is because it takes the processor less time (and so uses less power) to compress a flat image compared to one with detail in it.
Aug 04, 2013, 03:15 PM
e_Im_70

Please read #1 carefully again carefully. I need the Mobius Thread.

heribert
Aug 04, 2013, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heribert808
e_Im_70

Please read #1 carefully again carefully. I need the Mobius Thread.

heribert
From #1:

Quote:
This thread is part of a radio controlled model web site in a Forum dedicated to Aerial Video. As such, the content of this thread is intended to focus on the topic of the Mobius ActionCam and it's operation and capabilities for aerial video purposes.
Quote:
Video links posted here should relate to the RC aerial video topic area. Examples of off topic videos are:
Now ... this and your post are OUTSIDE the Tom's rules ... the other that I wrote above NOT

Ending the off topic

PS: There was no clear video comparison between Boscam HD19 and Mobius ActionCam ... and I think the video above has some valuable information ... especially for the developer, maybe he will correct soon the color issues ... anyhow ... as it is now ... it is already the best 1080p camera for the money
Aug 04, 2013, 05:18 PM
Dance the skies...
Quote:
Just rechecked the numbers of the unit running without recording and without a battery, sorry I got one of the numbers wrong and it does use slightly more power to generate the video out signal, this is the correct observation:

I have the latest config software and latest firmware so I can only guess that the 16:9 setting refers to showing a 16:9 picture on a 4:3 screen and the 4:3 setting shows a (stretched) 4:3 image on a 4:4 screen.

I can't remember which quality setting I used but a quick test and couldn't see any real difference between the two in terms of power consumption, however I did notice that recording footage with the lens cap off uses a tiny bit more power than recording with it on This I presume is because it takes the processor less time (and so uses less power) to compress a flat image compared to one with detail in it.
OK, that sounds much better for the standby power out number. Thanks for correcting the number. If you don't mind, can you edit your initial post to show the correct power for the standby condition (with no video out)? That way all the correct numbers will be in the same post in case others read only that one.

The camera does not (currently) output a 4:3 aspect ratio video, but it does output a composite video out TV frame size of ONLY 4:3 aspect ratio (at least for NTSC), which is all I can display properly on my TVs here in the US. When you set the 16:9 aspect ratio for NTSC video out, you get the 16:9 video FOV letterboxed in a 4:3 frame size (with black bars top and bottom), but some FPV goggles do not display the same as a TV, so may get something different. When you set the video out to 4:3 aspect ratio with NTSC video out, you get the same FOV, but the image is then stretched vertically to display in the letterbox black bar area. That is currently all the camera can do with NTSC video out.

The data rate is nominally 16 kbps in Standard Quality and 18 in High Quality, so theoretically there should be a little more power consumption, but a test may only show this if you shoot the exact same scenes simultaneously with two Mobius cameras. You're right about a black video with lens cap on... no detail means much easier compression and less work (power consumption) for the video DSP.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Aug 04, 2013 at 05:33 PM.
Aug 04, 2013, 06:50 PM
Hello! I was out and about to record a flight with the quad. Turned the cam on and started recording. Flew away to film a cool castle. And when i landed the vid had stopped and i can not start record again? It simply does not start recording when pressing the shutterbutton. This is the second time this happens. This time the cam stopped recording after around 2.5 min. And there was about 14gb left on memorycard, so that should not be the issue.

Ideas?
Aug 04, 2013, 07:14 PM
Dance the skies...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallie_86
Hello! I was out and about to record a flight with the quad. Turned the cam on and started recording. Flew away to film a cool castle. And when i landed the vid had stopped and i can not start record again? It simply does not start recording when pressing the shutterbutton. This is the second time this happens. This time the cam stopped recording after around 2.5 min. And there was about 14gb left on memorycard, so that should not be the issue.

Ideas?
Did you format the card in the camera using the camera's formatting routine?
Aug 04, 2013, 07:31 PM
I have received my Mobius the 30th of July and I have already taken more than 600 videos and photos with my quadcopter and on the ground.
They are surprisingly good and everything is working perfectly.

If display is excellent on my computer (1920x1080 screen resolution), it's not the case with my PAL Panasonic LF42E30 1080p HD TV.
Mobius in playback mode, photos are nice but videos are awful, blurry and cut both sides.

After converting files from MOV to AVI with Mp4Cam2AVI and saving videos as Xvid with VirtualDub, TV rendering is great.

I have also found that Mobius in 2s time-lapse mode is perfect to take natural photos of animals and young children.
Because of the cam's small size, almost invisible in hand, they are not encouraged to hold the pose.

After having used keychain cams, wing cams and Gopro on my flying machines, I'm very fond of my Mobius.
There are two more, one of whom for my son, on order.
Last edited by Mortimer; Aug 04, 2013 at 08:08 PM.