Dec 06, 2017, 02:14 PM
If i remove memory card while recording, it loses the file it was writing too. Is this normal behavior?
Its helpful if i see a corrupted video file, which can still be viewed by VLC player. Better than not seeing the latest recorded file at all.
can someone test this behavior on their latest firmware? If its still keeping the file, then I think i am running an older firmware version on camera.
Link to latest firmware?
Scenario when memory card is removed while recording:
I am using it as a dashcam. If i am in an accident, camera continues to record for quite some time (based on my config). If someone wants to checkout the last video, at that difficult situation its very likely that the person removing memory card (me or someone else) forgets to press the power button first. This means the crucial recorded file is lost and purpose of dashcam is failed.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 06, 2017, 02:53 PM
Fidler & twidler
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantverma View Post
If i remove memory card while recording, it loses the file it was writing too. Is this normal behavior?
Its helpful if i see a corrupted video file, which can still be viewed by VLC player. Better than not seeing the latest recorded file at all.
can someone test this behavior on their latest firmware? If its still keeping the file, then I think i am running an older firmware version on camera.
Link to latest firmware?
Scenario when memory card is removed while recording:
I am using it as a dashcam. If i am in an accident, camera continues to record for quite some time (based on my config). If someone wants to checkout the last video, at that difficult situation its very likely that the person removing memory card (me or someone else) forgets to press the power button first. This means the crucial recorded file is lost and purpose of dashcam is failed.
Think a little - you are writing a book, page by page, and halfway through some passer-by steals the book, leaving you with a half finished last page - which in your anger about the part finished book being stolen, you roll up that latest page and throw in the waste-paper basket.
Thus the book is unfinished and is useless and that goes in bin when the thief gets home.
Mike
Dec 06, 2017, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
Think a little - you are writing a book, page by page, and halfway through some passer-by steals the book, leaving you with a half finished last page - which in your anger about the part finished book being stolen, you roll up that latest page and throw in the waste-paper basket.
Thus the book is unfinished and is useless and that goes in bin when the thief gets home.
Mike
This story doesn't relate well to my question.
To my knowledge, the video is written continuously (real-time instead of storing into local memory or RAM and then later moving it to memory card). If I am correct here, the video's buffer data is being written directly into memory card and then at the end of recording cycle, the file is closed properly (skipping details here). Thus we see the proper non-corrupted file in our file system.

If for some reason the file is not closed properly, the file is considered corrupted for media players but not for the filesystem. The filesystem should still show some partially written file and its very easy to play such corrupted video files eg using VLC or some other tools if its not that easy. Don't forget there can be many more reasons or ways by which video recording is interrupted unexpectedly, leaving a corrupted video file on filesystem (in my case, file is not showing in filesystem). Google search for "fixing corrupted video files" will give you reasons and steps for such situations.

Coming back to my problem, if we all are seeing this behavior, i.e. the recording firmware is not creating any file viewable by filesystem during recording and ignoring unexpected interruptions, then we cannot do anything about it. Unless there exist a fix or hack to overcome this problem. To summarize, if we remove memory card while recording, the expected behavior should be losing the buffer data only, which was not written to memory card yet; and not removing the whole file. I am not sure how much buffer the system is using. (less than 1GB or 100MB?)

What is the latest firmware version?
Dec 06, 2017, 04:25 PM
animator in Helsinki, Finland
The camera records several files, max length each is 4 GB, but it can be set shorter. If you pluck out the card, it is almost certain that the file just being recorded will be corrupted, but you should be able to recover the already closed, earlier files. Have you tried to set the file length to, say 3 minutes? You get more files, but less risk of corruption.

Check the sysconfig file:

Movie Cycle time=[4];movie cycle time,0:3 minutes,1:5 minutes,2:10 minutes,3:15 minutes,4:max to 4G byte
Dec 06, 2017, 04:54 PM
Keep Looking Up
Quote:
Just ignore empeabee.
Dec 06, 2017, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janke View Post
The camera records several files, max length each is 4 GB, but it can be set shorter. If you pluck out the card, it is almost certain that the file just being recorded will be corrupted, but you should be able to recover the already closed, earlier files. Have you tried to set the file length to, say 3 minutes? You get more files, but less risk of corruption.

Check the sysconfig file:

Movie Cycle time=[4];movie cycle time,0:3 minutes,1:5 minutes,2:10 minutes,3:15 minutes,4:max to 4G byte
You made a very good point. I have already set it to 5 mins. I was mainly worried about the file being recorded. Because couple of times i pulled out mem card (without powering off first, my bad) to get the last file and damn... the last file which I need was gone.
I understand the file being recorded was corrupted but it would have been nice if we can atleast see the corrupted file. (avoiding File Recovery softwares to retrieve this corrupted file)

I want to verify what is the latest version we have? (to make sure i am running latest)
Thanks.
Dec 07, 2017, 02:20 AM
animator in Helsinki, Finland
Quote:
I want to verify what is the latest version we have? (to make sure i am running latest)
Thanks.
2.41 - see page 1 here - required reading...
Last edited by Janke; Dec 07, 2017 at 02:26 AM.
Dec 07, 2017, 06:39 AM
Fidler & twidler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWX232 View Post
Just ignore empeabee.
but that is exactly what happens when you remove the card before stopping the camera.
Dec 07, 2017, 10:26 AM
Quote:
To my knowledge, the video is written continuously (real-time instead of storing into local memory or RAM and then later moving it to memory card). If I am correct here, the video's buffer data is being written directly into memory card and then at the end of recording cycle, the file is closed properly (skipping details here). Thus we see the proper non-corrupted file in our file system.
Yes, the video data is written continuously to the card, but the "meta-data" in the file header (e.g. total size) and in the file system directory entry are not updated until the file is properly closed.
Dec 09, 2017, 09:50 PM
Master Prop Breaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDH View Post
Yes, the video data is written continuously to the card, but the "meta-data" in the file header (e.g. total size) and in the file system directory entry are not updated until the file is properly closed.
Sort of related. Does the camera update the file header before the cam shuts down due to low battery? I should know this due to how many times its happened to me but I honestly don't remember!

Thanks!
Dec 09, 2017, 10:52 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbarth View Post
Sort of related. Does the camera update the file header before the cam shuts down due to low battery? I should know this due to how many times its happened to me but I honestly don't remember!

Thanks!
A video in progress should normally be saved and fully retrievable in a low battery shutdown. That is quite different, though, than a sudden loss of power if the camera is powered externally with a sudden disconnect, and no onboard battery or super-cap to provide enough power to properly close the video file before the camera shuts down.
Dec 11, 2017, 09:56 PM
Tom, how does one ask a new questions vs a reply to the last comment on this forum,
I have a Mobius 1 question/problem.
Dec 11, 2017, 11:38 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykabo View Post
Tom, how does one ask a new questions vs a reply to the last comment on this forum,
I have a Mobius 1 question/problem.
Just post the new question! You can put a subject in the message title header block if you want, but it's not a necessity.

When replying to a prior post, it's best to click on the quote box in the reply window so we know what your comment is about. You can then delete any extraneous text in the quote message to save space.
Dec 12, 2017, 07:37 PM

Mobius 1 died in quad crash

Hi Guys/Gals,

Here are the facts:

Quad crashed from 15 ft high, quad ok, Mobius mount broke, lying on ground near quad.

The only obvious damage Mobius case popped open 1/8 inch at backside joint of two halves where USB connector located.

Power button no effect, no LEDs (batt 4.14v)
Plug into PC Green led solid, PC says USB not recognized (yes this the very first time, never before).
Android tablet can't see plugin.

Took it out of case to inspect for damage, nothing under magnification. Batt has 4.14v to board. Ribbon cable intact, front of case had been intact
camera and lens did not move (and glass perfect fine). Examined board, flexed nothing no cracks, again under mag.

Tried various sequences of batt out then while holding reset,and just using USB (for power no batt in case batt to blame) to reset.
(it runs without batt right?)

Tried unlocking ribbon both ends and relocking

Tried card in and out (card ok at PC) and card was reformatted just prior to flight, made short video which is still on card, flight video of course not there,

This Mobius looks perfect out of is shell in every way, and smells perfect, no burnt electronic, don't think heat sinked chip bit it, it only gets hot while
recording, and I got to quad and cam pretty quick and cam had no leds and 34 deg. outside.

Any magic tricks in resetting or something to jog it back to life?

Larry Appreciate it!!
Dec 12, 2017, 10:53 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykabo View Post
Hi Guys/Gals,

Here are the facts:

Quad crashed from 15 ft high, quad ok, Mobius mount broke, lying on ground near quad.

The only obvious damage Mobius case popped open 1/8 inch at backside joint of two halves where USB connector located.

Power button no effect, no LEDs (batt 4.14v)
Plug into PC Green led solid, PC says USB not recognized (yes this the very first time, never before).
Android tablet can't see plugin.

Took it out of case to inspect for damage, nothing under magnification. Batt has 4.14v to board. Ribbon cable intact, front of case had been intact
camera and lens did not move (and glass perfect fine). Examined board, flexed nothing no cracks, again under mag.

Tried various sequences of batt out then while holding reset,and just using USB (for power no batt in case batt to blame) to reset.
(it runs without batt right?)

Tried unlocking ribbon both ends and relocking

Tried card in and out (card ok at PC) and card was reformatted just prior to flight, made short video which is still on card, flight video of course not there,

This Mobius looks perfect out of is shell in every way, and smells perfect, no burnt electronic, don't think heat sinked chip bit it, it only gets hot while
recording, and I got to quad and cam pretty quick and cam had no leds and 34 deg. outside.

Any magic tricks in resetting or something to jog it back to life?

Larry Appreciate it!!
Assuming nothing is rattling around when you shake the case, you probably have a cracked solder point for a circuit board component. There is a ball grid array with dozens of solder points you cannot see under the large heat-producing DSP chip . As a last resort, you could try the "oven bake" method of reflowing the solder on the circuit board. This has restored some dead Mobius cameras back to life. A search with "oven bake" as the search key should find the post with all the details. It's also linked in the up-front FAQs, I think. Good luck!

Quick Reply