Mar 07, 2019, 10:52 AM
Thread OP
Wish I could help you. I sold off mine after some good use.
I am sure some one will be along and advice on strut length
to remove ads between posts
Mar 08, 2019, 02:50 AM
Thanks, this is one more of the important items not mentioned in the manual
Mar 09, 2019, 08:52 PM
Ronaldo Nogueira
Hobbyking has the GW Pitts 30cc in stock now.
Ronaldo
Mar 12, 2019, 02:40 AM
A colleague from another forum had the answer.

The longer struts have to be the rear.

Thanks

Matt
Jun 17, 2019, 02:27 PM
Just got one of these off RC Groups. Awesome looking plane, planning to do IMAC with it. And sport fly. I have an OS 120AX I am considering, it is lighter but can be mounted farther forward. And will keep from being overpowered.

Would like to know how much throw to use in inches, don’t have incidence meter. Planning to use stock hardware too, did others do the same?
Aug 29, 2019, 05:19 PM
Hello to all of you...!

I finished this model few days ago and I have to say that the quality is absolutely great! I preferred to convert it to electric in order to avoid all the fuel stuff since I am very tired anymore to carry all the required stuff with me. But this is a personal thing !

I used an electric motor which I bought from HobbyKing and is the Rotomax 1.60 which weights 850grams.
According the manufacturer suggestion I should use the DLE 30cc engine which weights in total 1030grams.

The servos I used are 7 x FUTABA S3071HV and I connected everything on the S-BUS system from FUTABA.

The batteries I use are 2x5 cells batteries 5000mAh which weights in total 1130grams and an ESC of 120amps

I did the installation of the above items as close as possible to the nose of the airplane.

The manufacturer claims that the CG should be 13mm from the leading edge on the LOWER wing...(page 31 of the manual) which I don't believe at all!!

Here is where I need your help if anyone knows! I find completely weird to measure the CG on the lower wing and not on the upper wing which makes more sense! I found on the model some differences from the manual of the 30cc Pitts, BUT, I found some similarities to the 50cc manual of the model!! The differences are the on the horns that comes with the airplane...which actually are much better than those on the manual because are from carbon fibers and not plastic as the manual shows and also some other minor differences.

But my big problem is the CG. I am trying to balance the airplane to be nose heavy and I find it VERY difficult to achieve it!
See the photos from the plane and also to answer how I routed the cables from the upper wing inside the fuselage which I find it pretty good way. All the extra length of the cable will be hidden inside the upper wing.

Looking for ideas concerning the CG please! Till now I followed the safe way and I have set the CG 30% from the leading edge of the upper wing. But still some weight is missing in order to be nose heavy.

I am asking you guys if what I do with the CG is safe or not.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Best...
Aug 29, 2019, 06:01 PM
Ronaldo Nogueira
Hello, congrats on your new bird and also for going electric.
I don't have this plane so I can only provide indirect help: double check the CG position using these instructions. If the results are too different from what you're seeing in the manual, trust the Model Airplane News article to set the CG of your plane then adjust to your liking after the first flights.
If it was my plane I would find the approximate CG of each wing and set in the middle of both but I'm a 3D flyer and I can fly very tail heavy planes comfortably in case it was too far off.
Ronaldo
Aug 29, 2019, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldopn
Hello, congrats on your new bird and also for going electric.
I don't have this plane so I can only provide indirect help: double check the CG position using these instructions. If the results are too different from what you're seeing in the manual, trust the Model Airplane News article to set the CG of your plane then adjust to your liking after the first flights.
If it was my plane I would find the approximate CG of each wing and set in the middle of both but I'm a 3D flyer and I can fly very tail heavy planes comfortably in case it was too far off.
Ronaldo
Thanks for your answer Ronaldo!

I will read carefully what you posted!

Best,
Konstantinos
Sep 18, 2019, 10:20 AM
Hi Kwnstantinos

checking the CG at the upper wing of a biplane is not precise at all.

You should really check it at the lower wing.

If this does not work there are some tools to determin CG by weighing.

Try this: http://www.rc-network.de/magazin/art...2-0016-00.html

Regards

Matt

Quick Reply