May 30, 2013, 06:09 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

When was the last time you guys checked the legality of your chosen flying location?

When you choose a new location, do you check here or simular first to make sure your not in any airspace your not aloud to?

I identified a new location i was planning to go this weekend. Turns out its right within class D airspace.....woops. Think il scrap that idea then.

http://www.notaminfo.com/nationalmap
to remove ads between posts
May 30, 2013, 06:43 PM
Crashomatic
i just get twitter msgs that tells me about the notams in my area.
but that isn't the only item to take into account for classifying the legality of the location. its actually hard to be 100% certain its a 100% allowed location.

So, just trying to be smart enough and avoid flying in notams or places that will obviously piss off ppl.. works well most of the time.
May 30, 2013, 06:52 PM
great post. I was under the impression everywhere is ok under 400ft except 5 mi airport and other expressly denied places. like all natural disasters the faa makes nfz

until I get more detail here I was totally under the impression on great road trips I could pull over and fpv the phantom anywhere I wanted since Im separate from restricted airspace listed in the obvious places
if you can get class d airspace under 400 feet thats a new one on me
Last edited by branflakes; May 30, 2013 at 06:58 PM.
May 30, 2013, 08:11 PM
fly by night
certain classes of airspace like military and controlled airspace cover everything right to ground level. Usually about 10 km radius of major airports are no-rc-plane zones, unless you go through a process to access that airspace (eg talk to ATC tower). Some of the restricted airspace is open at certain times and closed at certain times ... and you may be able to find out when it is OK to fly from the parties involved (like around my house is a occasional military airspace, not full time. And I like to fly seaplanes from my back yard). Easy enough to read up on this, and then learn to read aviation charts to know what airspace is what in your region. Or attend a ground school at a fullsize flying club or school. Can see these charts for free at www.skyvector.com

Then there are municipal anti-RC-flying laws. And now we are seeing state anti-drone laws. Key is to get educated as much as possible, use common sense, be stealthy and not in folks' faces with your planes and multis.
May 30, 2013, 08:28 PM
+1 on the stealthy, be friendly, don't be threatening or be a PITA. On more than one occasion I have forgone me flying FPV and put viewers on the goggles while I fly LOS.
May 31, 2013, 06:29 AM
CAS doesn't automatically rule out flying witout ATC clearance. For example, there are several (legal/permitted) flying clubs/sites (including my local one) within London Heathrow CTR which is Class A from surface to 2500ft.

Just ensure you know & understand the local byelaws/operating proceedures and do not flirt with them under any circumstances. Out of interst, which site/class D CAS were you looking at?

Cheers,
Wolf
May 31, 2013, 11:16 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfaroo
CAS doesn't automatically rule out flying witout ATC clearance. For example, there are several (legal/permitted) flying clubs/sites (including my local one) within London Heathrow CTR which is Class A from surface to 2500ft.

Just ensure you know & understand the local byelaws/operating proceedures and do not flirt with them under any circumstances. Out of interst, which site/class D CAS were you looking at?

Cheers,
Wolf
Bristol
Also got 3 nuclear stations nearby with no fly zones too to keep an eye out for
May 31, 2013, 03:17 PM
never... but have liverpool international 5 miles south... I tend to fly north..
Mar 23, 2016, 01:36 PM
I called the local airport to ask if there would be a problem with me flying at the nearby park and was told that would not be a problem for them, but why dont I call one of the guys at the rc club that has a the old runway on the east side of the airport and fly with them... Been flying there since.
I land when a full scale is taking off or landing which is seldom.

Quick Reply