This thread is privately moderated by MassiveOverkill, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 29, 2013, 04:56 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

V212 Light Saber Mod

Pretty easy and effective way to make your mini quad brighter at night. Simply cut some clear or opaque straws and mount them between the canopy and the top of the gear housing. The gear housing even has a plastic channel to help hold the straw. Mount your favorite color LED and secure with hot glue. The light saber illuminates the bottom side of the propellor making night time orientation easy to tell at distance.

Using clear or opaque straws as crude fiber optics isn't new and this idea isn't original, although it may be as far as using it to light up as much of the area that the spinning props on a quad create.

Here's the video of it in action:

V212 Light Saber Mod (1 min 58 sec)

Closeups of the mod:

UPDATE:

Here's the latest incarnation. This is easier to implement and puts the LEDs further out. No need to hack up the canopy either:

Last edited by MassiveOverkill; Nov 14, 2019 at 08:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 30, 2013, 12:59 PM
Very Kool, What type of led did you use and did you need a resistor? Did you use a plug?
May 30, 2013, 09:43 PM
Thread OP
Hey John, I used the WL Toys LEDs:

http://www.massiverc.com/PrestaShop/...hting-kit.html

and plugged them into the stock LED plugs, no resistor needed. They're the same LEDs used on the Space ship or Hooten-style canopy.

In a day or two I'll seperate the red/white LED kit and make them available individually.
Jun 01, 2013, 09:51 PM
Oh sure........... I'm a day late & a dollar short? LOL (referring to my order) Thanks for all you do.

JohnK
Jun 02, 2013, 07:52 PM
Beam me up Scotty!
Now that is cool!
Jun 07, 2013, 10:41 AM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
Nce MO...that's the most UFO looking thing I've seen in awhile
Jun 07, 2013, 09:21 PM
Thread OP
Thanks BD
Jun 28, 2013, 05:36 PM
Seems like your photo bucket pics aren't working
Jun 28, 2013, 08:03 PM
Thread OP
Yeah, they'll be back up Monday. Bandwidth quota exceeded for the month.
Aug 28, 2013, 09:06 PM
Electric or Bust!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill
Pretty easy and effective way to make your mini quad brighter at night. Simply cut some clear or opaque straws and mount them between the canopy and the top of the gear housing. The gear housing even has a plastic channel to help hold the straw. Mount your favorite color LED and secure with hot glue. The light saber illuminates the bottom side of the propellor making night time orientation easy to tell at distance.

Using clear or opaque straws as crude fiber optics isn't new and this idea isn't original, although it may be as far as using it to light up as much of the area that the spinning props on a quad create.

Here's the video of it in action:

http://youtu.be/n83_aoVmLX0

Closeups of the mod:

Thanks for sending me the link on the crashcast. I didn't see it right away. It looks great!
Sep 12, 2013, 08:21 PM
Electric or Bust!
The white lights ended up too bright when I flew it close to me. I bought some colored straws and I used orange straws to match the orange blades and green straws to match the green blades and the orientation is perfect now. Not too bright.
Sep 12, 2013, 08:45 PM
Thread OP
Looks good Skyjet!
Sep 12, 2013, 08:47 PM
Electric or Bust!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill
Looks good Skyjet!
Thanks again for the extra light!

Quick Reply