Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Old May 29, 2013, 10:18 AM
Find More Posts by ~SnApRoLl
Team Fearless
Build Log

La Stick Scratch Build

Hello all,
I know the La Stick has been done once or twice already but I thought I'd share the build anyway. And before I begin, I want to thank Dave Fritzke & Gene Rock for sharing their excellent plans!

I'm building the plane for a few reasons.

1. I have a couple Pee Wee .020's laying around. One with a high comp head and one without and wanted an excuse to see the performance difference.

2. I just got into cutting foam wing cores and wanted to start with something simple and low cost.

3. I wanted a test bed to see how well it will fly with both a conventional built up wing and a foam core wing.

4. I built an Ace Littlest Stick powered with an .020 back in the 80's and it was neat little flyer and I have been wanting another one and the La Stick fits the bill nicely.

The build may a bit slow due to my hectic work schedule but I will get it done!! So please bare with me.

The built up wing will have dihedral and no ailerons and the foam core wing will have ailerons and no dihedral.

Here a few pics of my progress so far.

I have the foam core cut and ready for sanding, leading & trailing edges and sheeting.
I cut and sanded the balsa ribs and the stab & elevator out yesterday evening. Only took about 45 minutes for the ribs and about 5 minutes for the stab.

The radio that will be used is a Spektrum DX-8, Spektrum AR6100e rx, E-Flite DS75 digital sub micro servos.
And I need recommendations for the rx battery.

Thanks,
Shawn
Last edited by ~SnApRoLl; Jul 02, 2013 at 08:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2013, 02:49 PM
Team Fearless
I got the fuse sides and rear former cut out so pretty much all of the balsa parts are cut and I just need to get some 1/16 ply for the firewall, front former and dihedral brace and then I'll be ready to start the assembly.

Shawn
Old May 29, 2013, 03:21 PM
Find More Posts by rchopper56
I suggest that you redo the vertical fin and rudder. The grain should be vertical. I hope you enjoy this little machine.
Gene
Old May 29, 2013, 06:24 PM
Team Fearless
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchopper56 View Post
I suggest that you redo the vertical fin and rudder. The grain should be vertical. I hope you enjoy this little machine.
Gene
Thanks for noticing that. I didn't until you said something.

Shawn
Old May 29, 2013, 06:46 PM
Team Fearless
I didn't realize I cut out the rudder on the horizontal grain, so I made a new one with a vertical grain cut.
Last edited by ~SnApRoLl; Jul 02, 2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old May 29, 2013, 08:23 PM
Find More Posts by eliworm
You sabotaged my plane.
Looking good. We're watching.

Jim
Old May 30, 2013, 02:20 PM
Team Fearless
Thanks Jim
I'm going on vacation on the 10th of next month and I'm going to try
and get the plane done for 2ch so I'll have something to fly and I'll finish the foam wing
When I get back.

Shawn
Last edited by ~SnApRoLl; Jun 30, 2013 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Stupid IPad auto complete! >:/
Old May 30, 2013, 02:26 PM
Team Fearless
Just a little update, I decided to cut the firewall out of 1/8" ply. I'm also going
to use 1/8" ply for the dihedral brace and front former.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:42 PM
Team Fearless
I made some changes to the build and decided to use balsa for the front former and the dihedral brace instead of ply to save a little weight. Grant it, it's not a huge difference, but it's weight savings none the less and it will still have plenty of strength.
In fact, the Littlest Stick from Fred Reese used balsa formers and a balsa dihedral brace with no problems. I'm also leaving out the balsa rails for the removable partitions as I do not need them for anything. I'm going to try and build the fuse tonight after work and will post more pics.

Shawn
Old May 31, 2013, 01:27 PM
Find More Posts by eliworm
You sabotaged my plane.
That's one of the neat things about a project like this. you can use whatever you have on hand and still end up with a great flying plane.
Any weight saved on a little guy like this will help out. Looking forward to your test flight.

JIM
Old Jun 02, 2013, 12:37 PM
Team Fearless
Not much progress to report as I fell under the weather. My youngest son got it first then my oldest son then my 8 year old son then me. It's a vicious circle I tell ya!

Shawn
Old Jun 04, 2013, 12:17 AM
Team Fearless
I tried to work on the fuse a little but didn't get much done as this flu thing is still hitting me pretty hard.

Shawn
Old Jun 04, 2013, 08:47 AM
Find More Posts by Skipp2Maloo
I hope you are not Contagious over this Forum!!!!
Old Jun 05, 2013, 01:19 PM
Team Fearless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipp2Maloo View Post
I hope you are not Contagious over this Forum!!!!
Hopefully the only thing contagious will be others sharing their lastick builds.
I'm feeling a lot better today so I'm going to resume the build tomorrow.
My Uncle made a trek to the hobby shop the other day and he picked me up some sheeting for the foam wing and will be picking it up tomorrow as well so I can get the wing shucked up. I will post more pics as I go.
Shawn
Old Jun 06, 2013, 11:12 PM
Team Fearless

Starting to look like a Stick

I'm back to feeling 100% again and thought I'd update the build.
I'm going on a family vacation / trip on Monday and my wife roped me into helping her with some packing for the trip. So I was only able to get about an hours worth of build time. But it was a productive hour as I was able to complete the fuse less finish sanding. I wanted to get the foam wing core skinned but it got too late so I'll work on that tomorrow. I set the rudder in, mounted the engine and laid the wing on the fuse and I think I did something wrong because it look looks a bit like a Stick.
Here are a few pics.

Shawn