Build Log

F111 Aardvark

F111 Aardvark .. anyone interested ? my drawings so far, just got started

This will be a pusher and hopefully .. grass slide

Lockey
to remove ads between posts
May 29, 2013, 08:52 AM

Yes!

I've been 'lurking' on the Dualis thread waiting for the dust to settle on all the improvements before building one.
I'm especially interested in the possibility of doing an EDF version with SOG capability.
I'm thankful for your skill with developing the designs!
J
May 29, 2013, 09:08 AM
Jer. 29:11
May 29, 2013, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsch
Good to see you in the balcony!
May 29, 2013, 11:00 AM
Altitude is my friend...
Quote:
Originally Posted by justj
...I'm especially interested in the possibility of doing an EDF version with SOG capability.
I'm thankful for your skill with developing the designs!
Yes, while the pusher setup will be fine, a twin EDF version would be something, indeed.

Lockey's design and drawing skills are approaching legendary status.
May 29, 2013, 06:22 PM

Capitol F U N !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depronicus

Lockey's design and drawing skills are approaching legendary status.
Hence the nudge toward EDF....... I have a pair of 70mm fans I'd love to put in one of his designs.... nice thing is they produce a bit over 34 ozs thrust each.... in a 4 or 5 lb airframe....... spells FUN!
May 29, 2013, 07:55 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Ooohhhh .. not sure I am ready to step into EDF just yet ... don't know enough about them ... my only experience was with a Mig-15 many moons ago with a glow ducted fan, it flew very well too.

In fact, I bought a Mig-15 ARF but never got round to building and flying it yet

Maybe you EDF guys can step in and give me your expert opinions, thoughts and ideas

Thanks

Lockey
May 29, 2013, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by justj
Hence the nudge toward EDF....... I have a pair of 70mm fans I'd love to put in one of his designs.... nice thing is they produce a bit over 34 ozs thrust each.... in a 4 or 5 lb airframe....... spells FUN!
Hi Justj, wouldn't 2 x 70mm EDF's be a little over kill for such a small model? its only about 1m wing span (wings out) and around the same length

Lockey
May 29, 2013, 09:38 PM

WS 4 2x70

Yes I think it would be a little small!
But, blow it up to about 48" to 58" and the weight should come right up to somewhere near 4 1/2 to 5 lbs where the FUN begins!
I'd like to help, but I'm new to EDF's also. Just starting to get my feet wet with a Zephyr to start up that learning curve. I have 2 Twin 70mm planes to graduate to when I'm comfortable. One is ready to maiden and one is just getting to the building table. I hope to be flying at least one of the twins by the end of this season.
I'll be in the crowd in the balcony!
J
May 29, 2013, 10:19 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Lockey, follow your good instincts and do what you think is best. Build the first one for yourself. A pusher would be great.

If it works out, and you get all inspired, Aardvark Version 2.0 could be an EDF, and maybe it will be bigger, or maybe not. Go with what works for you, of course.
May 29, 2013, 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depronicus
Lockey, follow your good instincts and do what you think is best. Build the first one for yourself. A pusher would be great.

If it works out, and you get all inspired, Aardvark Version 2.0 could be an EDF, and maybe it will be bigger, or maybe not. Go with what works for you, of course.

I would be worried about the wing configuration on anything much bigger, it would certainly need re-thinking

Lockey
May 29, 2013, 10:49 PM
Lockey,
Please, just do your plane your way.
I'll quit throwing popcorn over the edge of the balcony.
When your all done I may look at modifying it, but yours turn out so very well.......
J
May 30, 2013, 02:14 AM
Buildings what I enjoy.
I just maidened my F-111 the other day and she flew better than anticipated. I used a mix of PSS online plans, Monotaro's and Beanies version. She is a pusher set up but seriously thinking of a rebuild and looking at the wings sweeping and a set of EDF's. Mine is 1.4m W/S and all too much fun.

There are plenty of things I want to change but we shall see.

The plan looks good so far so I am waiting to see the final version.
Shane
May 30, 2013, 02:39 AM
I suggest using the wing profile kfm2.
Do you want to do moving wings? If so, take a test throwing model without equipment to determine the center of gravity with different settings of wings
May 30, 2013, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertus
I suggest using the wing profile kfm2.
Do you want to do moving wings? If so, take a test throwing model without equipment to determine the center of gravity with different settings of wings
Hi Robert, thanks for your interest, this is now going to be an extension of my Dualis SW https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post25124442 which is already flying

Lockey