May 27, 2013, 07:27 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
Build Log

My Wood & Foam Bridi UFO .60 Build

RCU is still screwed up so I am continuing this build here. This build began here when RCU was working properly. But at this point that place is a train wreck.

RG
to remove ads between posts
May 27, 2013, 07:32 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
Well, last week I managed to shoot the clear on the wing and control surfaces and, of course, I had issues!

My first mistake was following the paint manufactures mixing instructions. They called for 4 parts paint, 1/8" part catalyst and 1 part reducer. After mixing to this
ratio it didn't seem quite right, but I figured the manufacturer should know what they are talking about so I started to spray the clear. Instant orange peel! So
I added more reducer to get it to where I thought it should be and it was better, but it still orange peeled. So the wing and control surfaces have a fine orange peel texture to them and that's how they are going to stay. When I shoot the fuselage I'll reduce the clear even further to hopefully get rid of the orange peel.

The second issue seems to be some sort of reaction between the clear and the metallic colors, mainly the purple. At first I thought it was blush, but the conditions that day were low 70's and 29% humidity, so blushing shouldn't have been a problem. Plus it doesn't look cloudy the way blush normally looks. It's kind of course. Whatever it is, it's also going to stay that way. It would be too time consuming to try to redo these issues. I've had too many set backs with this build as it is and I want this thing done and in the air. So at this point it is what it is.

I had planned on clear coating the fuselage this weekend, but the weather was a little on the cool side. Hopefully next week.

RG
May 27, 2013, 07:46 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
My technique for hinging control surfaces might be a little different than most. Instead of installing the hinges and control surfaces to the flight surfaces all at the same time, I install the hinges in the control surfaces first and let the epoxy cure. Once cured the control surface is then attached to the fight surface. Doing it this way prevents the hinges from possibly shifting during the installation process and causing a bind.

Lately I've gotten into the habit of mixing epoxy on graph paper. This makes it easier to judge equal amount of resin & hardener.

RG
May 27, 2013, 08:02 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
Installing the aileron servos.

For a little extra security, I tied the aileron servo plugs and the extensions together with some thread. This helps to prevent the plugs from coming undone while pulling them through the tubes in the wing.

To help fish the servo extensions through the wing I tied a 1/4-20 nut to a piece of dental floss and dropped it through the tube in the wing and let it fall to the opening at the center of the wing. I then used the floss to pull the extension through the wing.

The original RCM UFO construction article didn't mention anything as far as control surface throws. So, since they are similar designs, I looked up the throws for the Great Planes Dirty Birdy ARF. I think these throws will be a good starting point for the UFO as well.

RG
May 27, 2013, 08:21 PM
KC4JAJ

Dental Floss

R_G,

I use dental floss to tie servo plugs. It's much stronger than thread and I've never had it fail.

Jim
May 27, 2013, 08:23 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
Hey Jim,

Yeah, I thought about the dental floss after I had already used the thread. Next time, dental floss for sure.

RG
May 27, 2013, 09:08 PM
Looking wonderful RG. I really enjoy your build threads, especially when they are over here and you can get things published!

Mike
May 27, 2013, 09:53 PM
Nice build, Ralph.
I love to see your meticulous build techniques that make such a good looking ship.
Chris...
May 27, 2013, 10:31 PM
KC4JAJ
One comment on control throws - specifically rudder throw. High rate rudder should give 100% of the available throw. In other words, the rudder should deflect until it almost hits the elevators. Every little bit helps on stall turns - don't ask me how I know that!

Jim
May 28, 2013, 01:02 PM

Paint & Clear Issue's

Hey RG,

It's a shame that you had problems shooting the clear on your plane. Especially since you followed the instructions and since you did such an incredible job on finishing and painting your UFO...........

I can't wait to read about the successful maiden flight of your UFO. Hopefully it will include some in-flight pics........................

Take care,
David
May 28, 2013, 02:06 PM
RG,

The paint job looks awesome regardless of the orange peal which by the way doesn't show ip in the pics you posted.

Before you paint the fuse maybe you should try a slower reducer. Orange peal normally happens because the paint doesn't have a chance to flow out properly. Usually caused by the reducer flashing off too soon. It gets real hot where so a slow reducer is needed to allow the paint to flow out. Slow reducer = slower evaporation. Cold climates usually require a fast reducer.

Some other causes of orange peal is too much hardener and the wrong sized nozzle on the paint gun or to high of air pressure.

Regardless it is looking awesome.

Bryan
May 28, 2013, 06:57 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer
Looking wonderful RG. I really enjoy your build threads, especially when they are over here and you can get things published!

Mike
Thanks Mike!

It's a real shame that RCU has become so unpredictable and frustrating. I'm thankful that we have RCG!

Ralph
May 28, 2013, 06:59 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntflyr
Nice build, Ralph.
I love to see your meticulous build techniques that make such a good looking ship.
Chris...
Thanks for the kind words Chris! I'm glad you're enjoying the build.

Ralph
May 28, 2013, 07:01 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelDoc
One comment on control throws - specifically rudder throw. High rate rudder should give 100% of the available throw. In other words, the rudder should deflect until it almost hits the elevators. Every little bit helps on stall turns - don't ask me how I know that!

Jim
Sounds like a good idea Jim. I will definitely do that.

Thanks,

Ralph
May 28, 2013, 07:06 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrrcflyer
Hey RG,

It's a shame that you had problems shooting the clear on your plane. Especially since you followed the instructions and since you did such an incredible job on finishing and painting your UFO...........

I can't wait to read about the successful maiden flight of your UFO. Hopefully it will include some in-flight pics........................

Take care,
David
Thanks David!

I'm looking forward to getting the UFO in the air! It seems like it's been a long time coming, but the end is in sight. I hope to have a video of the maiden if I can hook up with my buddy with the video camera.

Ralph

Quick Reply