May 27, 2013, 03:12 PM
Bob Bayless
Thread OP
Discussion

Hangar 9 Tiger Moth conversion to electric

I recently finished my conversion of the Hangar 9 Giant Scale Tiger Moth. I have attached pictures of how I did it.

The specifications are a Scorpion S-4025-16 for power, an 18x8 prop, 100 amp Castle speed control and 2 6S1P 5000ma batteries. which run in parellel. She balance right on the 8 1/4 mark with no additional weight.

As can be seen from the pictures the conversion was easy. I purchased the adjustable motor mount from E-Flight and as can be seen, it fit the fire wall perfectly. I then cut out the servo mounts for the throttle and choke and removed the ears for the reciver /ignition tray and there you go.

She flies excellent! After 10 minutes the batteries were cool and only used 40%. She does need down trim at cruise speed or she will climb. As was stated in an earlier post about 4 degrees of down trip did the trick.
to remove ads between posts
May 28, 2013, 03:45 AM
That's impressive!

Good to see that a relatively modest power system can do the job in a decent size model. If ecalc is anywhere close, that's only about 1000W in for a ~15lb model.

I'd be interested to know how you chose the power system. Your model demonstrates how inapplicable rules of thumb such as needing x watts/lb or cubic inchesx2000 is a guide to watts in become as electric power systems and props get bigger and when wing loading is low, but (apart I guess from having seen it before) I'm curious as to what design considerations you used instead.

Unfortunately it's kind of academic interest atm with the sticker shock from the local supplier.
May 28, 2013, 05:03 PM
Bob Bayless
Thread OP

Motor chice

I set up a test bench for the motor. I used the batteries and prop 18x8 Xoar, I wanted to use. The Astro Watt Meter showed it drawing 50 amps, and delivering 1200+ watts. My tach showed it turning 6500 rpm. The motor was originally purchased for a 1/4 Scale Clipped Wing Cub. Then I was gong to run it on 8s as big as I could find.

The model flies in a scale like manner. I run about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. It flies on the wing and climbs very well. It does scale like loops with full power and a short shallow dive. Barrel rols are fun and with practice I should be able to make them presentable.

All in all, a simple conversion that has delivered everything I was hoping for.

Sumobob............................
Jun 05, 2013, 05:14 PM
did you mean two 6s lipo's in series (for 12s 5000mah power), or did you actually mean two 6s 5000 in parallel (for a 6s 10,000mah equivalent)
Jun 06, 2013, 06:35 AM
Bob Bayless
Thread OP

Hangar 9 Tiger Moth

As I said in the first post, 2 5000mah batteries in parellel for an equivalent of 10,000mah. As it turns out from fying it, at 10 minutes I have only used about 40% of the battery. So, I will be able to fly at a scale contest with plenty of reserve.
Jun 06, 2013, 11:56 AM
Swapping out to an 18/10 would likely allow flight at an easy half throttle, with a little more thrust and amps for those "emergency" go arounds.
Flight time would probably remain as they are, with more 1/2 throttle use.fwiw Doug B
Jun 06, 2013, 07:18 PM
Bob Bayless
Thread OP

Hangar Tiger Moth

On the bench I tried a 20x8 Xoar. It was turning 6000 rpm at 65 - 70 amps. So, I am going to try your suggestion soon. Still getting used to her right now.

I will post results when I have some...

Bob.
Aug 17, 2013, 02:47 PM
Wow, thanks for posting. I was thinking how to go about the conversion in an easy manner. I was thinking for scale-like performance using a rimfire 1.20 on 6 cells, or 1.60 on 10 or 12 cells..
Aug 18, 2013, 02:44 PM
Bob Bayless
Thread OP

Tiger Moth

I have now flown mine quite a bit and it is really a nice flying model. The power system I am using give very scale like performance and still has power to spare.

I learned that you have to pay careful attention to the gas tank section mounted between the upper wings. Make sure that the ends of the wing tube measure the same distance to the tail post. Second make sure that the ends of the upper and lower tubes are also the same distance apart. Mine requires a lot of down elevator trim in cruise flight. I have now added a 1/8 inch shim at the leading edge of the horizontal stab. I hope it will eliminate much of the down trim. I do have several books on the bird and you can see some down trim of the full size so, I may have to live with some anyway.

I have performed all of the basic maneuvers you would expect the full size to do and she does them in a very scale like manner. Spins are nice and the wing overs are great.

I see that the price has suddenly come down over a $100. Does this mean that the model is going to be discontinued? I am going to stock up on the spare parts I can make just in case.

I tried a 20x8 Xoar prop and it had better performance but the motor was really hot at the end of the flight. The Power 160 seems like a lot of power and it will need more cells too. I am not sure if the Power 120 is right either. I wish they made a Power 140 as I think it would be the right choice.

Good luck with yours and post pictures,

Sumobob................................
Sep 05, 2013, 08:23 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Well, with the H9 Tiger Moth on clearance at the great price of 379.95 (free shipping and no oversize upcharge), I pulled the trigger last night.

I like the idea of a low cost Power 60 class setup on 6s for scale performance like the OP used. I recently got a super deal on a pair of Glacier 6s 4400 batteries, so will parallel them for an 8800 pack.
Sep 06, 2013, 12:42 PM
Same here. When this plane came out, I have really thought about it but price and concerns about the electric conversion stopped me. With the price cut now and reading through this thread, I couldn't resist. Definitely being able to set it up with a 60 class system is also very attractive.
Sep 11, 2013, 08:26 PM
Electric Coolhunter
The H9 Tiger Moth arrived in good shape yesterday. Will be on the shelf for a little bit until the fall event rush is over, but am looking forward to getting it together by the first of the year.
Sep 15, 2013, 04:34 PM
Bob Bayless
Thread OP
I am slowly adding details to my Moth. Here are pictures of the X braces on the outboard wing struts. These really help out when using the wing cradles to move around the wings. Things stay together nicely with them. I used standard Sullivan clevises, 35 pound test stainless fishing leader and Berkley fishing sleeves model B3. Very easy to do.
Sep 29, 2013, 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
Well, with the H9 Tiger Moth on clearance at the great price of 379.95 (free shipping and no oversize upcharge), I pulled the trigger last night.
Over here in Australia, we rarely get those sort of clearance prices, any H9 Tiger Moth in stock I could find is still at $800AU. Despite the shipping cost to get it down here I couldn't resist that $379.95 price either, so I pulled the trigger last night as well. Its my first foray into large scale and I'll be using the great info in this thread, thank you to all the contributors.
cheers,
Walter
Oct 29, 2013, 02:46 PM
Friend of mine bought one and had it out to the field a couple weeks ago. His power setup is a power110 class turnigy 270kv motor on 8s turning a 20x10.
His plane is massively over powered and I noticed he was flying the majority of the time at barely 1/4 throttle....unless he was doing rolls or loops....but I never saw his throttle stick go over 2/3rds.

This is usually not my type of plane, but seeing his prompted me to get one.

Im not, however, keeping it looking stock. I do obscure paint schemes on many of my planes and this one is no different.

As for my power system...Im going to start with using a power 60 with a 17x8 prop....but do have a 20x8. Just not sure the power 60 can turn a 20x8 without getting hot.
If im not happy with the flight performance, I'll buy another power 110 like I have in my H9 Fokker DVII with a 20x12 on 6s.

Quick Reply