Testing the Mercalli stabilization in Video Studio X5 - RC Groups
May 26, 2013, 03:18 PM
Mini-Review

Testing the Mercalli stabilization in Video Studio X5

I've played with stabilization before, with mixed results. With Virtual Dub deshaker I could smooth out videos pretty good but there was always that jumpiness here and there that made it obvious it had been post processed and actually detracted from the overall quality I thought.

The Mercalli has it's quirks, at least in VSX5 - try as I might I could not get it to render in some formats (Bluray) without the overlying message that the video needed to be analyzed again etc.

Overall though, I'm pretty pleased with it, image quality loss was minimal if any, and nothing jumped out at me saying that this had been post processed. Mind you my original footage was not extremely jumpy in the first place.

Anyway, here is a side by side comparison

Video Studio Pro X5 mercalli stabilization test (3 min 8 sec)
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2013, 09:59 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr
I've played with stabilization before, with mixed results. With Virtual Dub deshaker I could smooth out videos pretty good but there was always that jumpiness here and there that made it obvious it had been post processed and actually detracted from the overall quality I thought.

The Mercalli has it's quirks, at least in VSX5 - try as I might I could not get it to render in some formats (Bluray) without the overlying message that the video needed to be analyzed again etc.

Overall though, I'm pretty pleased with it, image quality loss was minimal if any, and nothing jumped out at me saying that this had been post processed. Mind you my original footage was not extremely jumpy in the first place.

Anyway, here is a side by side comparison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFXh62GFjhA

Which version of Mercalli are you using?
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
May 26, 2013, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend
Which version of Mercalli are you using?
Whatever version is bundled with X5 - I think it is 2.0