May 25, 2013, 02:22 PM
AMA 910957
Thread OP
Discussion

Electric Aero-tow Tug

Hi All,

I'm contemplating building an aero-tow tug. I don't have the smarts to design one from a blank piece of paper, but I do have a couple of plans-built designs that I think would serve the purpose. I want it to be electric-powered as not to infringed too much on the quiet environment that is enjoyed with soaring. I would also like it to be able to tow a 1/4-scale size glider.

So, my question is, am I reinventing the wheel here? Can anyone direct me to a tug that is already the above purpose?

Thanks!

EJWash
to remove ads between posts
May 25, 2013, 10:35 PM
Will fly for food
Aeroworks S2 Sport Cub. There is an electric on the east coast.
May 26, 2013, 03:09 AM
DS will change your life
Or the easy and cheap way, buy a Multiplex Funcub, or the slightly larger and more stable Mentor.
With this set up, ihey pull 4 meter gliders, and go vertical with 1,5 kg gliders, and they dont overspeed in a vertical dive from top height after the tow.
In the rc club we have 3 planes with this set up, and they are doing 97% of all the towing.

Set up:
Motor Turnigy 4250 Brushless Motor 1000kv :
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=8489
ESC: 80 to 100 amp
13x4 prop
Batt 4000 Mha 4 Cell:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=13949

Rc. Amp draw, static / flight (1 min 40 sec)

Funcup, towing 2 large gliders. (1 min 44 sec)

Graupner vintage gliders (1 min 59 sec)

Funcup towing 4 meter Simprop Solution. (1 min 27 sec)

Advance towing (1 min 41 sec)

The record for the Funcub is a 4,85 / 6,5 kg glider + the 3,8 meter 7 kg giga Wiesel from hand launch:

Funcup towing a 4,85 meter glider. (0 min 54 sec)

Giga Wiesel action (1 min 36 sec)

Funcub towing playlist:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...D5tVXsDMt9HC4k

Good luck

Cheers
S
May 26, 2013, 01:29 PM
AMA 910957
Thread OP
Great vids!

The vid from the tow plane facing rearward gave me some great perspective. I had thought about a twin tail ('H' tail) and that footage showing the behavior of the tow line confirmed that it would be an advantage.

EJWash
May 26, 2013, 10:00 PM
Onward and Upward
Check out www.rcaerotowing.com.
Last edited by CatManDu; May 30, 2013 at 03:20 PM.
May 28, 2013, 03:36 PM
Multi-Platform Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1
Great vids!

The vid from the tow plane facing rearward gave me some great perspective. I had thought about a twin tail ('H' tail) and that footage showing the behavior of the tow line confirmed that it would be an advantage.

EJWash
I'm curious, but why?
May 28, 2013, 05:05 PM
AMA 910957
Thread OP
The vid showed the tow line under the horizontal stab and the against the vertical stab. Doesn't mean a twin tail will be a solve-all, but will move the vertical tail planes further away.

EJWash
May 29, 2013, 09:39 AM
Multi-Platform Pilot
The only problem (I didnt watch the vid from work) is that the line is under the stab, thats a recipe for disaster.

As for the vertical, its no problem, it will just pop back and forth as needed.
RCUniverse Review: Hangar 9 33% Pawnee Glider Towing GoPro (4 min 0 sec)
May 30, 2013, 11:13 PM
I am starting a fun cub build for towing. I have searched and did not see a specific picture or how to set up the tow line. I can see its on top of the wing but how does the line attach? Is there a tow bar or plate on top of the wing?
May 31, 2013, 12:14 AM
AMA 910957
Thread OP
Winghead,

IFlyTailies offers a tow plane release:

http://www.iflytailies.com/store/tow-releases/

The mechanism has its own dedicated servo so you can release the tow line from the tug if you need to - which you really want.

EJWash
May 31, 2013, 02:00 AM
DS will change your life
Quote:
Originally Posted by winghead
I am starting a fun cub build for towing. I have searched and did not see a specific picture or how to set up the tow line. I can see its on top of the wing but how does the line attach? Is there a tow bar or plate on top of the wing?
In the Funcub kit there is a towcoupling, just read the informations.

And be sure to reinforce it in the wing, if you will tow big gliders, and put in a weak link in the line, or else the coupling will get loose sooner or later.

The stock one is ok for lighter foamgliders, as the Easyglider.

Cheers
S
May 31, 2013, 02:42 AM
dare to thermal

Pictures!

I think you have to show us your towcoupling in detail....

Bernd
Jun 03, 2013, 11:27 AM
RC Paraglider / Sailplanes
How much do the sailplanes you'll be towing weigh ??
Jun 03, 2013, 11:32 AM
Gentle Lady, @26 oz. Of course there will be others possibly heavier but for now a Gentle Lady.
Jun 03, 2013, 11:55 AM
RC Paraglider / Sailplanes
I would go with a Telemaster electro. There's plenty of room to install electronics and you can lay down some serious power for the same price as the Multiplex. I have Multiplex Mentor and there's only so much power the airframe can handle.

If someone shows up with a 8 lb glider, you'll be able to tow no problem.

I've used a Tacon 160 on several planes and you can easily get up to 2500+ watts on 12s. For moderate towing -- 8s and a 17x8 prop.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/6_foot_te...34835_prd1.htm

http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m608-big...335-245kv.html

It's a suggestion.

Quick Reply