Jan 17, 2004, 10:39 AM
Thread OP

Artesania Latina Hamburg

Having chickened out of building the model which Santa brought me for Christmas, I've exchanged it for the Hamburg shrimper. It's now well on so here are the first pics and some notes on my approach - with a little luck it may help someone avoid the mistakes I made!

The first pic is the kit producer's publicity shot - nice model and very practical.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2004, 10:44 AM
Thread OP

Artesania Latina Hamburg

The model is built on a frame/keel system and made from substantial 'liteply'. There are doublers to beef up the keel, but it's a pity the slots in the doublers do not line up with the main keel slots. Easily sorted, and it makes a solid base on which to plank.
Jan 17, 2004, 11:09 AM
Thread OP

Artesania Latina Hamburg

Once the frames are sanded to match the curving planks (I used a Dremel sanding drum for that job) the planking can be started using the supplied strips of 1.5 x 7mm ramin.

I made a reasonable job of this, my first planking other than with balsa, but made a total pigs ear of the bow and stern where the curve is greatest. Despite wetting the strip thoroughly I snapped a few on the last bit as it was impossible to see if the grain was straight enough and not diagonal across the thickness. Eventually I pinned and glued up as best I could, but it was very untidy and badly fitting. Eventually I decided to cut back to the first bulkhead and inserted a lump of hard balsa and rounded it off to match up. As the final finish doesn't show up the planking, it's no big deal, just a bit of technique missing which the more expert will explain how I should have done it (I hope).

As the strips of wood were not exactly the same thickness, they needed to be trimmed before sanding, but not before all 528 brass nails were punched below the surface!

Next job is final sanding and planking the deck.
Jan 17, 2004, 12:52 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Wow, that took you 20 minutes from your frame post to fully sheeted. You are really fast TonyO! It takes me at least a day to get that part done.
(just kidding)

Try do do a nice little tutorial sequence on the propeller shaft and motor installation, and connection. That seems to be where most people have questions. It will make a nice reference here on the boards.

Keep up the great work,

Aimee
Jan 17, 2004, 02:16 PM
Thread OP
No, it really only took 7 minutes. The rest of the time was trying to connect to download.........

Thanks for the suggestion - I do exactly as you say. The kit started very well on this and made it easy to drill the shaft hole through the keel - there was a 1/4 inch x 1 inch slot where the tube doublers are on each side ( you can just see them on the extreme left hand side of the pic of the frames) When the glue had set, it was easy to drill the already piloted hole right through. It remains to be seen whether the rest of it works as easily.

I'll keep posting as the thing progresses.
Jan 28, 2004, 06:00 PM
Thread OP

Artesania Latina Hamburg

Things have moved on, and apart from the rubbing strips round the hull and finishing, it's ready for glassing.

The only difficult thing I came across is the bulwark and taff rails. These are 1/8 x 3/8 apple wood and are hard and stiff. Bending them, even after soaking, was almost impossible and as I am allergic to Cyano (inc. odourless) it was epoxy or nothing. I decided to do my aeromodelling trick of laminating them, but from the original strip by slicing them with a knife, almost to the middle 2 inches, using this method - and a few brass nails - was quick and easy. They were formed onto a drawing taken directly from the hull side. The wood glue was put into the 'split' and the whole thing clamped up with small blocks until set - about three hours. Easy! The next two photographs explain it.
Jan 28, 2004, 06:02 PM
Thread OP

Artesania Latina Hamburg

The overall length is 18 ins - the ends were preformed in the kit and matched to my pieces.
Jan 28, 2004, 06:05 PM
Thread OP

Artesania Latina Hamburg

.....and here's the model as far as this evening's work.
Feb 03, 2004, 01:16 PM
Thread OP

Artesania Latina Hamburg

Things are moving on - most of the construction is done and some finishing and detail under way.
Feb 03, 2004, 01:19 PM
Thread OP

Artesania Latina Hamburg

.........and while walking through the town centre today,I found a stall selling, among other things, fisherman figures at about 1/20th scale - the same as the boat!
Feb 03, 2004, 06:48 PM
太刀風
Is that a self portrait?
Feb 04, 2004, 04:21 AM
Thread OP
No, I don't smoke cigars!

Feb 04, 2004, 01:31 PM
YOUR NOT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE'M! YOUR SUPPOSED TO CHEW'M!

Robbie,
Kent, Wa.
Feb 06, 2004, 01:11 PM
Thread OP

Artesania Latina Hamburg

Robbie, if I chewed 'em, I probably would look like that.

Anyway, back to business - the superstructure's done and a coat of sealer applied.

As the photos of the original have hull planking visible, I want some to show after painting. I masked off the hull from the rubbing strips upwards. Half of the hull has been glassed with 1.4oz glass and epoxy. I did that this afternoon and after an hour with the hairdrier it had gone off enough for the second half to be done too. I'll leave it overnight to harden of then sand down.

Tony
Feb 06, 2004, 05:54 PM
Tony,

If you smoked them you would get lung cancer. If you chew them you would get throat cancer. It is just a matter of time!

Robbie

Quick Reply