Jun 25, 2013, 07:59 PM
Last month, I bought an mSR X RTF, and used the MLP4DSM that came with that kit to bind to my new nQX today. It flies really smooth. Later in the week, I will bind it to my DX6i using the recommended settings in the manual.

Though I haven't tried it yet with my DX6i, I think anyone who bought the RTF version is going to be just fine with the MLP4DSM. Computer radios are really nice to fine tune the handling characteristics but the stock radio allows the model to "be itself".

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeflys
I have been reading through this thread trying to get cought up. Haven't quite finished but I have a question. Nearly all the post I have seen have been talking about advanced transmitters. I have a DX6i and that is what I have been using......but. I also have the MLP4DSM from my old msr. The little Xbox style case is nice for lounging around the living room while flying. Is anyone out there using one? I will bind it up later tognight and givie it a try. Expect a report later!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2013, 08:18 PM
Team Drone Art
You guys saw that I shared two model.ini for the Devo7e. One more mellow. And one more agressive for wind fighting.

Well, I think the FnQX I just flew in the wind would be the next step up for those in LOVE with their Nano QX flight characteristic...but want something more suited for outdoors.
  • It's slightly bigger for better visibility.
  • Cheap, easy to find 7x20mm motors for high speed, cut through wind.
  • 200-300mAh lipo to add stability and weight to prevent from being easily tossed around.

The rest is just the nQX flight controller doing it's thing.

Here's a video of the maiden. Didn't go all out because of the wind and fear of crashing into a rooftop. Can't wait to take it to the park I usually fly at. Just proof of concept at this point.

Blade Nano QX FrakenQuad (5 min 55 sec)

BTW, the booms uses the same plug. And the orientation of the prop and motors are exactly the same as the Nano QX. You just need to switch the polarity by pulling the pin out. Then it plugs right into the nQX' RX board like it was made for it. I was using the Glacier 250 with um plugs already on them:
http://www.buddyrc.com/glacier-20c-250mah-1s-molex.html

BTW, Massive also sell a chassis for his FQ builds. It will plug into the nQX board. Just need the polarity of the motor plugs switch. (I am sure MassiveOverkill will do it for you if you ask him. He provides great customer service out of FL).

Last edited by Daryoon; Jun 26, 2013 at 02:06 PM.
Jun 25, 2013, 08:23 PM
Closed Account
HI All... My first Qua -copter a HH nQX...which I am attempting to fly with a Spectrum 5e-TX
I have bound the nQX to the Tx and get a steady red LED...How do I get the nQX into the stability mode??? Thanks...
Jun 25, 2013, 08:24 PM
hmmm...
Well I just got mine it today and luv it, being my first quad I got a feeling the addiction is going to be just as bad as helicopters.

Is there a brushless conversion in the works or does it just not make sense?
Jun 25, 2013, 08:26 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72
What is the best going price on this right now? Amain is my go to shop but they don't offer free shipping for this which is ridiculous because the BNF box is TINY!
Being that it just came out I'm not sure you're going to find it on sale at most online retailers. I'd check out your LHS to see if they have any BNF in stock and whether they'll accept that 15% off coupon from Horizon for completing the survey. If not then just use the coupon code and buy direct from HH's website, that's what I did. I got mine for $68.40 shipped, not a huge discount but it only took two days to get here.
Jun 25, 2013, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplanecolt
HI All... My first Qua -copter a HH nQX...which I am attempting to fly with a Spectrum 5e-TX
I have bound the nQX to the Tx and get a steady red LED...How do I get the nQX into the stability mode??? Thanks...
Pull the trainer switch. That operates channel 6 which is used to change flight modes.
Jun 25, 2013, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfmetalfab
598-8220-107F Rd/Or w/ 100ohm resistor Port/left
598-8281-107f Green w/ 50 ohm resistor Stb/right
598-8291-107F Blue w/ 50 ohm resistor Front
And a 3mm Red / Blue Flash Flashing Water Clear LED (ebay) w/ 75 ohm on the rear

Wolfmetalfab, I have found a source for the LED's you are listing. Having a little trouble locating the resistors. Any suggestions where I could order all the bits from one place?
Jun 25, 2013, 08:45 PM
Boost rules!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97
Some FPV cameras weigh 3-5g, so I thought maybe there would be a camera out there around that weight that recorded the video.
I think a stripped-down 808 #16 weighs around 8g w/o battery. For more ideas, I suggest checking the #16 thread, Also, check out this thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1778592

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Jun 26, 2013 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Typo
Jun 25, 2013, 09:01 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
I think a stripped-down 808 #16 weighs around 8g w/battery. For more ideas, I suggest checking the #16 thread, Also, check out this thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1778592

Joel
Ok, I'll have to look into it. Thanks!
Jun 25, 2013, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Gravity
High rate:
Aile 1 100% -20% Expo
Elev 1 100% -20% Expo
Rudd 1 100% INH

Travel:
Aile 115% right and left
Elev 115% up and down
(Hold the cyclic stick in the direction you want to adjust and watch the arrows).

This is where I'm setup currently for Stability mode flying, but don't hesitate to experiment, especially with the travel settings. They make the most pronounced difference in your wind-fighting ability.
Thanks I try this tomorrow.
Jun 25, 2013, 11:11 PM
This morning started out like every other flight..
Check the wind - Make sure it wasn't 'too bad', fire up the QX, and have a blast.
Well, flight 1 went great.. Flight 2 made for a several hour adventure..

I fired it up, shot it up about 20 ft in the air, and no joke - The wind speed must have tripled!
It blasted up another 30-40 ft in a flash, and even mode-2 wouldn't help to fight back..

After watching it turn into a speck in the sky - The hunt was on!

Long story short, I live in a city, so I literally had to walk through yards, hop fences,
climb trees to look on rooftops, check pools, bushes, all sorts of crazy spots..

After over an hour, amazingly, I found it! How? I'm still wondering the same thing..
I kept the OEM radio on the whole time, and periodically, I'd jog the throttle up/down real fast..

I swore I heard a faint buzz - almost silent - and no wonder..

It was stuck at the top of a HUGE pine tree! About 50+ ft tall. DOH!

I ran home, and tried to grab an extension ladder - I was going to climb that tree..
My father had a 'smarter' idea though. One that didn't involve possible time in the E.R. ;D

We grabbed 4 sections of 10 ft metal electrical conduit, connectors, and a ladder..

At the base of the tree with all sticks joined together - we still couldn't reach it..
I ended up having to climb to the top rung of the 10 ft ladder, and w/ conduit in hand,
FINALLY nudged the QX just enough to unhook it's blade-protector from the branch it was on. SCORE! It dropped about 10 ft. After a few more minutes, and one more nudge from the ground, it finally broke loose for good, and fell all the way down to the ground..

After a thorough inspection - Not a single scratch was found. - No damage at all.

I can guarantee that if this had happened with my X1 or RC Eye One,
the outcome would probably have been catastrophic. Luck was on my side for once.
Jun 25, 2013, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDovi
Check the wind - Make sure it wasn't 'too bad', fire up the QX, and have a blast.

I fired it up, shot it up about 20 ft in the air, and no joke - The wind speed must have tripled!
It blasted up another 30-40 ft in a flash, and even mode-2 wouldn't help to fight back..

Long story short, I live in a city, so I literally had to walk through yards, hop fences,
climb trees to look on rooftops, check pools, bushes, all sorts of crazy spots..

After over an hour, amazingly, I found it! How? I'm still wondering the same thing..
I kept the OEM radio on the whole time, and periodically, I'd jog the throttle up/down real fast..

I ran home, and tried to grab an extension ladder - I was going to climb that tree..
My father had a 'smarter' idea though. One that didn't involve possible time in the E.R. ;D

We grabbed 4 sections of 10 ft metal electrical conduit, connectors, and a ladder..

At the base of the tree with all sticks joined together - we still couldn't reach it..
I ended up having to climb to the top rung of the 10 ft ladder, and w/ conduit in hand,
FINALLY nudged the QX just enough to unhook it's blade-protector from the branch it was on. SCORE! It dropped about 10 ft. After a few more minutes, and one more nudge from the ground, it finally broke loose for good, and fell all the way down to the ground..

After a thorough inspection - Not a single scratch was found. - No damage at all.

the outcome would probably have been catastrophic. Luck was on my side for once.
I know that fun. Had to poke my first plane down from 50ft up (had to climb 1/3 of the way up), took me about an hour. Good to hear all these accounts of how tough this thing is. I'm sure I'll be putting it to the test.
Jun 25, 2013, 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
I think a stripped-down 808 #16 weighs around 8g w/battery. For more ideas, I suggest checking the #16 thread, Also, check out this thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1778592

Joel
Good timing - I just posted this in another thread of mine..
Here's a copy/past of the info. Maybe it will help out..

808 Cam # 16 - Info:

I've been playing around with the 808 cams for over a year now..
They're killer for all sorts of occasions. POV-Flight-Recording is a blast!

I even used an '808 Clone' to make a metal case/tripod-mount for mine..

Anyways -

Stock / Standard 808 Cam weight is about 17 grams.
Stripped down with no case and no battery is about 10 grams
I didn't guestimate - I used a calibrated digital scale to check..

RC Eye One - Will carry the entire oem cam.

X1 - Struggled. Would have to go caseless.

QX - Sketchy. I don't think it would work. But I'm not 100% sure.
You guys with better radios might be able to tweak it's power/settings more,
but with my oem/stock radio - there's no way.

The 808 would have to go caseless and with no battery.
It would then have to be powered by the QX board / battery.

I'm sure there are a bunch of links / vids about stripping them down,
but here's one I ran across that shows the setup installed on a small quad:

http://www.bitcraze.se/2012/10/anoth...n-camera-hack/

^^^ Article with video
Jun 25, 2013, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne
I know that fun. Had to poke my first plane down from 50ft up (had to climb 1/3 of the way up), took me about an hour. Good to hear all these accounts of how tough this thing is. I'm sure I'll be putting it to the test.
I'm glad I'm not the only one..
I just read the text under your member name - That's great!

Glad to hear you where able to recover your plane too! *Thumbs up*

Yeah, these little guys hold up amazingly well.
I honestly can't recommend them enough!

I'm even tempted to get another one eventually to make my own [version] of a mini quad..
Or at least the flight-controller. Fantastic quality and handling, and lots of fun!

Good luck with yours, and good luck NOT landing it in a tree!
Jun 25, 2013, 11:49 PM
Rekitter of fine aircraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDovi

Yeah, translational lift can get a bit out of control with the light weight and anything more than a slight breeze. One caught me last night. A gust blew through just as I was finishing a high speed coordinated turn. The thing has never moved that fast before and the choice was kill the throttle and hope for grass or go into an oak at Mach 1. I chose the former and, fortunately, hit grass. Zero damage. I love this thing!

Quick Reply