May 24, 2013, 06:00 PM
Very impressive....

Hats off to Horizon for this innovative work.

Mike
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2013, 06:02 PM
Fly R/C writer
the video worked....and so did the Apprentice!!!
May 24, 2013, 06:53 PM
I understand who the initial flying group this system is aimed to and applaud the effort. It is going to bring and KEEP a lot of new folks into the hobby. The airplane design is fine and looks great - not boxy, etc. Spektrum engineers are having tooooo much fun!

What I would like to see is a separate high end receiver/system that can bought by those of us with lots of experience.

I have been flying since 1960, the earlier years not too successfully at times due to radio problems I rarely need help with flying the airplane except in extreme maneuvering, 3D, etc. (thanks AR635)

But I also have found a time when I have lost those visual clues that let me know the orientation of the airplane - flying across the sun (where did that come from) battling a wasp, dark airplane on a cloudy day, etc. - and I had to remember the last control given and make some good educated guesses as to where the airplane might be in the air and in the maneuver, and hopefully recover.

So far in all these years I have only had a couple of bad educated guesses. I have always desired a dead man's switch that would give ME time to recover. I still want to fly the airplane at all times - that is what the hobby is all about - I just want a safety net just in case.

So a separate receiver available for purchase that also included the auto level features of this new system would be so welcome. There is the same problem of setup that the folks with the AR635 have, only multiplied by lots and lots of time and effort. But the insurance factor would be fantastic. Like I said, a person still wants to fly their airplane, but an insurance policy in the terms of a receiver would be so nice.

Anyway do sell me a separate receiver

I see that the system is zeroed initially on a level surface and then you adjust it, if needed, in flight at half throttle. I would wonder what the system drift is, i.e., degrees per minute. If things are pretty tight it wouldn't be noticed in a normal flight but in longer flights it might add up. I come from a day of old mechanical gyros wobbling their way along

Ben
May 24, 2013, 09:03 PM
i cant seem to find a date. when is this plane available?
May 24, 2013, 09:15 PM
wjs
wjs
William
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lanterman
I understand who the initial flying group this system is aimed to and applaud the effort. It is going to bring and KEEP a lot of new folks into the hobby. The airplane design is fine and looks great - not boxy, etc. Spektrum engineers are having tooooo much fun!

What I would like to see is a separate high end receiver/system that can bought by those of us with lots of experience.

I have been flying since 1960, the earlier years not too successfully at times due to radio problems I rarely need help with flying the airplane except in extreme maneuvering, 3D, etc. (thanks AR635)

But I also have found a time when I have lost those visual clues that let me know the orientation of the airplane - flying across the sun (where did that come from) battling a wasp, dark airplane on a cloudy day, etc. - and I had to remember the last control given and make some good educated guesses as to where the airplane might be in the air and in the maneuver, and hopefully recover.

So far in all these years I have only had a couple of bad educated guesses. I have always desired a dead man's switch that would give ME time to recover. I still want to fly the airplane at all times - that is what the hobby is all about - I just want a safety net just in case.

So a separate receiver available for purchase that also included the auto level features of this new system would be so welcome. There is the same problem of setup that the folks with the AR635 have, only multiplied by lots and lots of time and effort. But the insurance factor would be fantastic. Like I said, a person still wants to fly their airplane, but an insurance policy in the terms of a receiver would be so nice.

Anyway do sell me a separate receiver

I see that the system is zeroed initially on a level surface and then you adjust it, if needed, in flight at half throttle. I would wonder what the system drift is, i.e., degrees per minute. If things are pretty tight it wouldn't be noticed in a normal flight but in longer flights it might add up. I come from a day of old mechanical gyros wobbling their way along

Ben
Ask...and you shall receiver :-)
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-EFLR310013#t1
May 24, 2013, 11:45 PM
My take:
This hobby is cheap, like it only takes a few hundred bucks to buy a radio, another few hundred to buy batteries, chargers, and misc supplies, and then the planes themselves...

So... why would any guy with any sense at all want to buy a plane he could actually learn to fly for $300? really? this hobby needs new blood? am sure all the old timers can keep all the vendors happy buying some 2mm control rod, bottle of CA every now and then to patch up "ole blu"

Seriously... making entry into this hobby like this? genius, just pure genius... I dont have to trash a pile of stuff trying to learn to fly when all the help is a bunch of arrogant bash you silly guys who started out on their first day doing outside loops with a rubber powered plane on the end of a control string (up hill both ways)....

Me thinks most of this is sour grapes from guys that trashed tons of stuff learning to fly and are unhappy because someone can do it alot cheaper than they did...
May 24, 2013, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin
i cant seem to find a date. when is this plane available?
As I recall, it should leave the distribution centers next week in most of the world... They are here in IL!

David
May 24, 2013, 11:56 PM
Lovin my DX18QQ!!
Anyone know of an outlet in Aus that sells a mode 2 variant??
May 25, 2013, 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallJ
Seriously... making entry into this hobby like this? genius, just pure genius... I dont have to trash a pile of stuff trying to learn to fly when all the help is a bunch of arrogant bash you silly guys who started out on their first day doing outside loops with a rubber powered plane on the end of a control string (up hill both ways)....

Me thinks most of this is sour grapes from guys that trashed tons of stuff learning to fly and are unhappy because someone can do it alot cheaper than they did...
I just thought that sour grapes thought! I learnt on my own years ago, very time and money consuming. I could have done with this technology then! It doesn't take away the skill, once you can take a plane up and down safely you can progress to aerobatics. This technology will just save time and money.
May 25, 2013, 04:45 AM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillPerry
Anyone know of an outlet in Aus that sells a mode 2 variant??
It's a very easy task to do yourself.

http://rcmuppet.blogspot.com.au/2009...mode-1-to.html

If you are still not game to try it, I'd be surprised if www.modelflight.com.au wouldn't do the conversion for you, and you will get free postage because it costs over $200.
May 25, 2013, 06:42 AM
Lovin my DX18QQ!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow
It's a very easy task to do yourself.

http://rcmuppet.blogspot.com.au/2009...mode-1-to.html

If you are still not game to try it, I'd be surprised if www.modelflight.com.au wouldn't do the conversion for you, and you will get free postage because it costs over $200.
Thanks Harrow. I have converted my Glassair, so nno issue there. Just thought I could get a mode 2 that's all.
May 25, 2013, 10:11 AM
Built For Comfort
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepid Pilot
The problem with "self-righting" airplanes is what they really do is teach the novice pilot to let go of the sticks, which is no help at all. It's like making your chauffeur fly the plane while you watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs
Tepid. Your logic is flawed...
You're right. I see my error now. I should have said "...what they really do is teach the novice pilot to grab for the 'Help! Save me!' switch."

Seriously - It's great news that the Apprentice 15e is not discontinued, because it really is an excellent trainer. And if technology can help a novice keep from breaking it to bits I'm for it.

TP
May 25, 2013, 10:45 AM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dribbe
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GwsMD2XIrKs

Not sure how to do this on iPad. Trying to post a launch video.

We kind had to go to power off because it was too hard to capture anything dramatic with the power on and prop blast...it just recovers so smooth and fast it doesn't look like a bad launch.

David
Haw! Haw! Haw! Discus launch trainer! The world's first.
May 25, 2013, 01:34 PM
So glad I saw this post. I had a cart full of items to get me started in rc planes at HK. Was previously going the bixler 2 route....now this has me contemplating a different tack regarding my first plane. Wish you could buy it without the tx as I would like a computer tx, but having a cheap backup is probably not a bad idea in the long run.
May 25, 2013, 01:51 PM
wjs
wjs
William
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossmort
So glad I saw this post. I had a cart full of items to get me started in rc planes at HK. Was previously going the bixler 2 route....now this has me contemplating a different tack regarding my first plane. Wish you could buy it without the tx as I would like a computer tx, but having a cheap backup is probably not a bad idea in the long run.
Backup is good. You can also use it for Phoenix flight sim and as a buddy box. When your ready and committed to the hobby, get a DX8 :-)