May 24, 2013, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs
Does the RX automatically go into Panic on signal loss or on brown out recovery, etc.
You may want to download the manual and review for details. Failsafe will enter an somewhat shallow turning glide... power off... relatively low speed... spiral down... (this minimizes wind drift). In the case of an open field, no damage is typical.
If signal is restored, normal function is restored.

David
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2013, 03:13 PM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
Just fit SAFE in all the scale EDF jets and give the total beginner what they keep asking for as a 'first plane'.

No need for any more trainer models. ?
Come on now! You know that's ridiculous. What difference does it make if the model crashes or performs a CFT, controlled flight into terrain? There's noting in SAFE that precludes CFT at all and of course you know it. Why grasp pitifully at such slim straws to try to discredit SAFE? You just look ridiculous. We get it and you're out of bounds.

Now, something like SAFE with RTL would be appropriate for EDFs. But it would also be appropriate for all radio control planes and I see a danger that a law might be passed requiring all radio control planes to be equipped with RTL. Actually, I'd buy it if it were a decent price and easily adaptable to any airframe right now.

And anticipating the next attack, RTL will do no good if you are downwind in a wing stronger than the plane can make progress against. What of it?

I see an Apprentice S in my future. It will be a blast teaching people to fly.
May 24, 2013, 03:23 PM
wjs
wjs
William
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Come on now! You know that's ridiculous. What difference does it make if the model crashes or performs a CFT, controlled flight into terrain? There's noting in SAFE that precludes CFT at all and of course you know it. Why grasp pitifully at such slim straws to try to discredit SAFE? You just look ridiculous. We get it and you're out of bounds.

Now, something like SAFE with RTL would be appropriate for EDFs. But it would also be appropriate for all radio control planes and I see a danger that a law might be passed requiring all radio control planes to be equipped with RTL. Actually, I'd buy it if it were a decent price and easily adaptable to any airframe right now.

And anticipating the next attack, RTL will do no good if you are downwind in a wing stronger than the plane can make progress against. What of it?

I see an Apprentice S in my future. It will be a blast teaching people to fly.
Plus 1
May 24, 2013, 03:40 PM
wjs
wjs
William
How does the panic (trainer) switch work in a buddy box situation?
If the trainee pulls on trainer switch, will it still go into panic? tia
May 24, 2013, 03:43 PM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs
I would also request a BNF version. Some of us care to train others (or just appreciate a gental flyer and/or new tech) and don't need to buy all the radio stuff over again and want to use the computer radios we already have and have spent money on.
Personally, I'd buy the RTF even if the BNF were available. It's always been the cheaper option to buy the RTF and market off the components you don't want to keep. And you help others who need a DX5e for a buddy box, or maybe you haven't even thought about a buddy box for yourself.

In the BNF you pay a premium for stuff you won't even receive! Why do that?

What I'd like to see is Horizon double down on the RTF: a version with the choice of the DX6i, DX7 or DX8! Different prices for each version of course.
May 24, 2013, 03:45 PM
wjs
wjs
William
Also, if you just have one tx (i.e. not trainer), what comes out of the TX when you pull the trainer switch? Do all signals drop to low? Is that how the rx discerns the switch is triggered? tia
May 24, 2013, 04:19 PM
Fly R/C writer
Hi,

Having flown RC since 1965 and in the process, teaching over 125 people how to fly, I know what common mistakes the new pilot makes when learning the ropes of flight. I just got my hands on the Apprentice with SAFE technology, and I am completely blown away! This is a quantum step forward for learning to fly. Let me give a few examples of the new pilot and the Apprentice

Ground taxi. New pilots not only oversteer but as their fingers shake due to nerves, don't hold the stick steady, which compounds their problems with steering and adding power for taxi smoothly. SAFE actually helps the pilot steer straight and limits how much nose turn can be applied. Now the plane won't tip over in a sharp turn.

New pilots are quite nervous taking off. Not only do they oversteer, but normally grab a handfull of up elevator. The Apprentice not only steers straight but gently comes off the deck by itself for a beautiful launch every time, yet the pilot has control to turn immediately or increase the pitch angle.

New pilots normally move the sticks in extremes. Too much input or almost no input. With SAFE in the Beginner mode, the new pilot can just peg the stick and the plane executes a perfect gentle banked turn without losing altitude. To me, it might be cheating, but to the new pilot, that is confidence in the building stage! Think about it and then go to the topic of Crashes on the Groups forum. Look at how many times a pilot reports he gets off the deck and rolls into the ground. SAFE gives them that much needed second, third, fourth chance. And when they get the hang of it and are ready to move up, switch to the intermediate mode and he has more control at his command. Natural progression of skill building.

New pilots are easily disoriented in the air. The Apprentice with SAFE technology goes a tremendous way towards recovery. It will not stop disorientation. It will help minimize it, by not allowing the plane to wind up in unwanted roll, loop or spin. Again, a much needed second chance.

The most nerve racking portion of the flight...landing! With the Apprentice and SAFE technology, a nice long approach while easing the throttle down is all he needs to set the plane on the right path. The plane will assume and maintain a gentle glide path with a near level angle of attack. I have demonstrated that this plane will land hands-off reliably. It is not a greased landing, but the plane never dinged a prop, either!

Sure, I could go on for another 10 paragraphs, but that will only repeat what others have already said. The Apprentice S with SAFE technology will be THE club trainer of choice very quickly. For the first time, a hobby shop can sell a complete aircraft/radio/power package with everything needed to fly, no glue needed, and know that this new pilot has more than fleeting chance to be successful flying the first time. Not that the new pilot should ever try this on his own. He should always seek the help of a pro. But we all know that there is a very high number of new pilots who don't....they think they can do it alone. With the Apprentice, he can. I beleive we are about to see a revolution in the world of sport and beginner level RC.

Mike Lee
Fly RC Magazine
May 24, 2013, 04:37 PM
I just demo'd the new Apprentice and SAFE to several fliers at my club field. One word comes to mind, WOW! They couldn't get over how nice this will make training a new guy. And the hand launch in Panic mode is almost too much fun! This will be a winner!
May 24, 2013, 04:43 PM
Warbird & Jet Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyF
I just demo'd the new Apprentice and SAFE to several fliers at my club field. One word comes to mind, WOW! They couldn't get over how nice this will make training a new guy. And the hand launch in Panic mode is almost too much fun! This will be a winner!
Tony,

Did you guys try throwing it in a 70° crab angle? You can't. It corrects the error before the model even leaves your hand. Really weird!
May 24, 2013, 04:43 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Wow, I love technology. If it's able to perform as well as they show it to it'll be the go-to trainer, very nice.
May 24, 2013, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs
Also, if you just have one tx (i.e. not trainer), what comes out of the TX when you pull the trainer switch? Do all signals drop to low? Is that how the rx discerns the switch is triggered? tia
On all dx5e... When solo master.(no trainer chord).. The trainer lever is simply a momentary ch 6 switch. No other signals are affected or interrupted. The rx just knows panic mode when it sees the ch6 signal go to that value.
David
May 24, 2013, 05:27 PM
wjs
wjs
William
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt
Tony,

Did you guys try throwing it in a 70° crab angle? You can't. It corrects the error before the model even leaves your hand. Really weird!
Is this what the guy is doing on hand launch in this video in the beginning? Nose up launch and it corrects to level?

SAFE Technology (1 min 35 sec)

Love that Eli field park. Will have to try to fly there soon.
Last edited by wjs; May 24, 2013 at 05:40 PM.
May 24, 2013, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs
How does the panic (trainer) switch work in a buddy box situation?
If the trainee pulls on trainer switch, will it still go into panic? tia
Yes... Trainee has the panic/ch6/trainer switch at his command.

Instructor can leave his Tx in beginner mode... If he takes back control (releases trainer switch...sticks approx centered...) The plane will recover into envelope and level relatively aggressively.

David
May 24, 2013, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs
Is this what the guy is doing on hand launch in this video in the beginning? Nose up launch and it corrects to level?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kckAX...yer_detailpage
Yeah.. It fixes itself very quickly... and climbing if full throttle. That vid was hands off just add power.

You can also do panic or beginner launches at half or full up elevator for more (but still SAFE ) climb. It is quite fun to play with.

If your not paying for the parts, you can throw it power off... And really let a bad attitude develop with no airflow over the controls... Then nail the throttle and BAM... Flies away... (Not saying you cannot put it in a situation too low...)

David
Last edited by dribbe; May 24, 2013 at 06:00 PM.
May 24, 2013, 05:53 PM
Apprentice S test footage (0 min 7 sec)

Not sure how to do this on iPad. Trying to post a launch video.

We kind had to go to power off because it was too hard to capture anything dramatic with the power on and prop blast...it just recovers so smooth and fast it doesn't look like a bad launch.

David
Last edited by dribbe; May 24, 2013 at 05:59 PM.