This thread is privately moderated by Dongskie, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 22, 2013, 12:08 AM
Dongskie
Thread OP
Discussion

Dynam T-28 Trojan - Yellow

Dynam T-28 Trojan - Yellow Paint Scheme

Good day fellow flyers!

This is my second T-28 Trojan from Dynam and I really love the way it flies and all the tweaking and tuning I have done was a product of study and observations from fellow flyers in the Dynam T-28 thread and other threads alike.

I previously got the grey version based from a VA-122 squadron of the US Navy which was my very first RC plane. I flew it and crash-landed it and all flying lessons were learned from my first Trojan.

This time I decided to paint it yellow based on the VT-5 Training Squadron in Pensacola, Fl. I also decided yellow color to prevent myself from losing sight of the plane at considerable distances..lol coz I wear eyeglasses too
[/URL]

DAY 1: Stripping and Primer
Alrighty, first off I stripped the plane of all the electronics so that I didn't have to worry of any issues getting it damaged or getting it wet during the sanding process.

I began painting the whole plane in parts with White to cover the gray areas. One thing I missed was to pre-shade the panel lines with black, so it would appear realistic after the yellow color has been sprayed on.

The entire fuselage was a challenge to paint, it took me awhile to even up the yellow paint on all areas, I spent 2 cans on the entire plane doing very light coats.
Last edited by Dongskie; Nov 23, 2016 at 02:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2013, 11:46 AM
Dongskie
Thread OP
DAY 2: Waiting Time
I let the paint cure overnight and when done, I installed the wings into the fuselage to see if there was any shade difference, fortunately it was all fine and even...
Last edited by Dongskie; May 24, 2013 at 12:38 PM.
May 24, 2013, 11:51 AM
Dongskie
Thread OP
DAY 3: The Cockpit
I found some Tamiya Flat Black in my paint box which I used for my scale models a few years back, and they were dry. I dosed it with acrylic thinner and shook it for about 5 to 10 minutes and Wow! Its alive! So I started working on the cockpit area.

Last edited by Dongskie; May 24, 2013 at 12:38 PM.
May 24, 2013, 12:00 PM
Dongskie
Thread OP
DAY 4: The Package
My order arrived from Hong Kong! It came a day before my birthday so this is a great gift! lol
Last edited by Dongskie; May 24, 2013 at 12:43 PM.
May 24, 2013, 12:35 PM
Dongskie
Thread OP
DAY 5: Simulated Exhaust Pipes
I was sifting through my toolbox and found some bullet connectors, for some reason a bulb lit up in my mind. So the fingers started working.

I heated up the connectors a little by inserting it into the soldering iron tip, once hot (not too hot) I inserted it into the exhaust port of the Trojan and it easily went thru.

Be careful not to over heat the bullet connectors otherwise it will make a hole too big.

Last edited by Dongskie; May 24, 2013 at 12:44 PM.
May 24, 2013, 12:42 PM
Dongskie
Thread OP
DAY 6: FMS Stickers
Dynam stickers for the Trojan was hard to find, Durafly stickers for the T28 was too small.. rather than getting an awkwardly looking small stickers, I decided to get the FMS stickers...

Here I started off with the exhaust streak black sticker, at the same time this gave me the chance to scale the size of it to the plane. Well it looks great after all!
May 24, 2013, 12:47 PM
Dongskie
Thread OP
DAY 7: Stickers Done!
I've managed to put all the major stickers into the plane and my son's first reaction was "WOW dad!"

So he asked me to get the other Trojan and he cuddled up for posterity's sake..
Dec 31, 2014, 05:02 PM
Dongskie, what color and brand of paint did you use and what was in the package from Honk Kong?
I am thinking of doing the same thing to mine! Thanks!
Jan 02, 2015, 09:50 AM
Dongskie
Thread OP
Hi ba5online,

I used those typical off the shelf acrylic spray cans, it cost about $2.50 here per can.

I got the yellow (plain yellow) however there other yellow but a lot lighter, and the other one was like almost orange like.

They are a bit thin on the first coat so it may require several layers, I strongly suggest you start off with a primer color (to liven-up the main color)

Good luck on your paint job! Keep us posted!!

Mar 11, 2015, 09:21 AM
Dongskie
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba5online
Dongskie, what color and brand of paint did you use and what was in the package from Honk Kong?
I am thinking of doing the same thing to mine! Thanks!
Sorry I missed your other question lol sorry about that

It was a set of FMS stickers for the 1400mm Trojan
Nov 22, 2016, 11:52 AM
Dongskie
Thread OP

Quick Reply