Jan 16, 2004, 03:15 PM
Thread OP

Traveling plane

Hey
I've got one plane under my belt now (GWS Pico Cub) and i was wondering what plane would be the best to travel with, needs to get compact enough to get in the overhead compartment. and if anyone knows, whats the best hobby store near albany Ny
thanks for your help,
spud
Last edited by spudvr; Jan 16, 2004 at 03:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2004, 03:35 PM
Suspended Account
I traveled to Hungary, Poland, and Checkoslavakia with a TM. Made a box out of 1/16" plywood, bought stock styrofoam at Home Depot to make a cradle in the box to fit the Moth. Made a pocket in the box for the Tx and several batteries. Didn't try to fit it in the overhead, just checked it as baggage. Didn't find out til I got home that different countries use different freqs for models. 'course, as much of you taxpayers money as I was pumping imto the local economies, I think I would have gotten away with it.
Jan 16, 2004, 03:48 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Look in the Foamies forun for the CLiC 23" flying wing. It fits in a very small package, even smaller if you make the wing tip removable.
For the new EPP model, see: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hreadid=185247
For the original thread see: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...threadid=98943
Not only does this model fit in small spaces, the original is almost indestructible, and it flies GREAT.
Jan 16, 2004, 03:52 PM
If you're looking for something that's hotter try the Wattage Sukhoi. My Sporty (Sukhoi's predecessor,same wing different fuse) lives in the back of my car so I can pull it out and fly it anytime I want. It's about a 30 inch span, all foam with a rubber band on wing. Takes alot of knocking around and abuse and keeps coming back for more.

Mike
Jan 16, 2004, 04:25 PM
MX
MX
Embedded Systems Engineer
I took a Carbon Falcon on a plane with me for Christmas. It's
a carbon fiber and rip-stop nylon flying wing that folds up into
a 3" x 24" PVC tube.

Carbon Falcon

MX
Jan 16, 2004, 04:27 PM
Motor Maniac
If you want the ultimate in compactness then a Pocket Combat Wing or other small 20" span wing with removable winglets is probably it. Anything larger than that will require a 2-piece wing to fit in overhead space easily.

Oh, forgot about the Carbon Falcon. Yes, very compact for travel!
Last edited by 10Thumbs; Jan 16, 2004 at 04:34 PM.
Jan 16, 2004, 06:31 PM
The PCW is very portable.
The CLiC is portable, but more fragile (have not tried the new EPP version yet.)
The Mini Bird of Prey is pretty small, and a mod to make detachable or foldable wings shouldn't be too hard.
Jan 16, 2004, 09:25 PM

PCW Fan

I have taken the EdgeRC.com 20" PCW so many places. Its great and will travel in a suitcase or carry-on just fine. With a 1200 mAh or 1320 mAh LoPoly battery you can get 40-50 minutes of flying on one charge - that is enough adrenaline for me. And then there is the 24" twin if you want to double your pleasure. Fast and Wild!! EPP travels well either way.
Jan 16, 2004, 09:40 PM
PCW all the way! Best bank for buck at $40. I love mine! Is the Pico Cub the only plane you have flown? Have you flown an aileron plane before? If not, if might be a little tough.
Jan 16, 2004, 09:50 PM
Thread OP
first plane but i got a TM for xmas but its been grounded since, explanation:VT, so too big of a step?
Jan 16, 2004, 10:45 PM

Nothing better to learn on than EPP

That PCW will put up with a whole lot of abuse and trial and error and error and error till you get it right. If still on the steep part of the learning curve, go with the more durable NiMH batteries. I use the 370 mAh from allErc.com which fit well and match the weight needs for a proper CG.
Jan 16, 2004, 11:13 PM

Re: Traveling plane

Quote:
Originally posted by spudvr
Hey
whats the best hobby store near albany Ny
thanks for your help,
spud
Hey Spud,
Dont know if you are flying or driving,
Whiteplains NY is 2 hrs from Albany and there is a Brukners Hobbies , if you have a chance check it out, they have a pretty good selection of electric stuff, I was there over the holidays, he stocks brushless motors, and was getting more, decent prices for a hobby shop, and he was a really nice guy!!
Dave
Jan 16, 2004, 11:15 PM
Actually its Hartsdale,
Bruckners
421 North Central Ave. Hartsdale, N.Y. 10530
Phone 1 914 946 5555 Fax 1 914 946 9526
http://www.brucknerhobbies.com/westchester.htm
Jan 17, 2004, 12:43 AM
Crash Master
Carbon Falcon or T-IFO. There was a thread last week with a similar request. Both are good 2nd planes and portable.
Jan 17, 2004, 02:24 AM
Fast and getting faster!
check ur pm about the hobby shop
I live near albany!

Quick Reply