Ritewing Zephyr Mini - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Ritewing Zephyr Mini

The Zephyr Mini is made of EPP foam and has a wingspan of only 30"

Splash

Everything you love about the ZII, in an easy to transport package!

The original Zephyr and ZII flying wings have made a name for themselves in the FPV community as high performance video airframes able to adapt to many types of flying styles. And now, with the latest Zephyr Mini, you can fill the niche created by these larger wings with an easy to transport, and easy to launch mini wing. The Zephyr Mini is made of EPP foam and has a wingspan of only 30" (compared to the ZII with a wingspan of 54". Just like the ZII, the Mini has molded compartments for your flight and FPV gear.

Specifications:

  • Wingspan: Approximately 30 inches
  • Weight: Approximately 310 grams

Package Contents:

  • 1x EPP Foam Wing with pre-cut bays
  • 1x Piece of Balsa wood for Elevons
  • 3x Glass Fiber Struts
  • 1x Motor Mount
  • 2x Winglets

Product Link

Thread Tools
May 21, 2013, 11:27 AM
Registered User

Any idea on electronics specs?


Wondering what size battery, motor, and prop this plane takes. Also, what kind of endurance can you get...

Thinking it might be better than the Maxi Swift IMHO...

Can't wait to see the first build...
May 21, 2013, 11:37 AM
fly by night
BCSaltchucker's Avatar
first build?? it has been on the market for a year and plenty of build logs out there. Has not caught on because of the many competing wings in this size.

First impressions seemed to be the mini doesn't fly quite like the Z2 or Z1. Some guys had real trouble getting a good launch at first.

Also this one is up against stiff competition in the EPP 3-foot wing market: Teksumo/Popwing, Zebro, SwiftII and maybe the best one: the Caipirinha. All super popular - I really love flying my 3 foot wings - very very easy to live with and super versatile. Toughest RC planes of all - seriously, due to size, EPP, and light wing loading. The SwiftII and popwing/tek have more swept back wings, making them somewhat more pitch stable.

as usual, FPVLab ahead of RCG on all things FPV ..
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....ng-Mini-Zephyr!
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; May 21, 2013 at 11:49 AM.
May 21, 2013, 12:02 PM
RCGroups Editor
Matt Gunn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker

as usual, FPVLab ahead of RCG on all things FPV ..
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....ng-Mini-Zephyr!
Easy there bro, its not a competition for who posts products first. As a user of both sites, I think Im pretty current on my fpv happenings. Im just looking for items to do news pieces about.


With regards to launching, I usually chuck my smaller wings using the sidearm style in the below video. They get airborne easily this way.
Ritewing Mini Zephyr (2 min 0 sec)
Last edited by Matt Gunn; May 21, 2013 at 04:14 PM.
May 21, 2013, 02:20 PM
Mum is the word!
It has never really been on the market till the last few months.
I only had the first batch done last Sept October.

I fly it all the time, it fly's almost exactly like a ZII just in small scale. It loves still days , since its small it will get bumped around some in windy days,, but still rips in the wind
Its not a loopy tech sumo park flyer.

I designed the Capi airframe from the Famous OG 36 Ritewing Lightning!!
This Mini Z purely is a fun small park flyer that will eat up some sky.

You are correct ,,some guys had trouble launching it because it does launch just like a ZII, its heavy till on step.
Like all the other mini wings sweep and super lite is not always good, it makes them handle sloppy and wag..

The mini Z does not fly anything like the others and requires little reflex and minimal control movements.This equates into great performance and nice speed retention.
This is common for the industry to make poor handling easy to fly planes. If it requires some setup and some attention to detail its not the norm now. So when some people get the mini Z this catches a lot of flyers of guard!! Most of the other designs req huge sloppy control throws , this makes for sloppy flight,, these un covered epp models are much easier to get flying since they are not touchy and fly all over the sky while you guide them, this means they are never really dialed in and always feel sloppy.

The Mini Z feels like your flying instead of just guiding! The mini Z is not EPP,it is EPOR, its a new hybrid foam that's like EPO

I know these things for a reason,,lol
You can see in the vid its on rails wide open,,, do that with your tecchooomo!

Mini Z flight , overview and setup (10 min 21 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker
first build?? it has been on the market for a year and plenty of build logs out there. Has not caught on because of the many competing wings in this size.

First impressions seemed to be the mini doesn't fly quite like the Z2 or Z1. Some guys had real trouble getting a good launch at first.

Also this one is up against stiff competition in the EPP 3-foot wing market: Teksumo/Popwing, Zebro, SwiftII and maybe the best one: the Caipirinha. All super popular - I really love flying my 3 foot wings - very very easy to live with and super versatile. Toughest RC planes of all - seriously, due to size, EPP, and light wing loading. The SwiftII and popwing/tek have more swept back wings, making them somewhat more pitch stable.

as usual, FPVLab ahead of RCG on all things FPV ..
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....ng-Mini-Zephyr!
Last edited by klique; May 21, 2013 at 02:30 PM.
May 21, 2013, 02:29 PM
fly by night
BCSaltchucker's Avatar
I am sure it can be set up to be a great lil flyer and I will pick up one of your Caips this year. But I have to protest your comments about the Teksumo. I have 3 of them and yes two of them fly 'loopy' because I haven't dialled them in yet, but the third one I put more care into the build and it actually handles superbly, and definitely better than my Z2! Doesn't seem to exhibit any dutch roll like my Z2 does at lower speeds. Easiest plane to hand launch, and I only run full FPV w 2200mah on them. I was thermalling for half hour with eagles yesterday with it, then doing proximity at WOT on the deck. I launch it off mtn peaks and crash it onto course rock piles without damage. (Of course the Z2 is great when the Hyperion motor is sipping 30 amps or more, which I guess it its sweet zone, but it sits around a lot unused. Have some ambitious alpine flights for it coming up.)
May 21, 2013, 02:46 PM
Mum is the word!
Sorry to hear, maybe you never dialed in your ZII as well as it could have ,,the ZII is definitely not for everyone.
Fly what fits your needs style and skill level is what I always say!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker
I am sure it can be set up to be a great lil flyer and I will pick up one of your Caips this year. But I have to protest your comments about the Teksumo. I have 3 of them and yes two of them fly 'loopy' because I haven't dialled them in yet, but the third one I put more care into the build and it actually handles superbly, and definitely better than my Z2! Doesn't seem to exhibit any dutch roll like my Z2 does at lower speeds. Easiest plane to hand launch, and I only run full FPV w 2200mah on them. I was thermalling for half hour with eagles yesterday with it, then doing proximity at WOT on the deck. I launch it off mtn peaks and crash it onto course rock piles without damage. (Of course the Z2 is great when the Hyperion motor is sipping 30 amps or more, which I guess it its sweet zone, but it sits around a lot unused. Have some ambitious alpine flights for it coming up.)
Last edited by klique; May 21, 2013 at 03:01 PM.
May 21, 2013, 03:58 PM
Crashomatic
CrashMeUp's Avatar
i'm always drolling on klique's videos because the build is so well done. makes the wings always look sexy!
i wish i built that well :P
May 21, 2013, 06:45 PM
Everything is Upgradeable.
my buddy locally is on his second mini zephyr. center section was shifted forward about 1"-1.5". also added verticals for nice level flight regardless of wind.
May 21, 2013, 09:10 PM
Registered User
v00d0o's Avatar
my first wing ?
May 22, 2013, 09:45 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
eliworm's Avatar
Hey klique, looks pretty cool. I might have to get one of these for the gang.

Jim
May 22, 2013, 09:56 PM
Mum is the word!
I will bring you some over buddy
May 23, 2013, 07:57 AM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
brosius85's Avatar
don't take this as hate matt, i love most of the content you add and usually your reviews are a good read and offer a lot of useful info. Before i bought an original Zephyr years ago i read and enjoyed your comments on that.

this however seems like bit of an odd review with no build, no video, no real opinion at all!

doesn't even have a guide on what components to use. very strange!

and for the record i love my ritewings and have just ordered another 3...

i have no experience on the mini z though.
May 23, 2013, 08:30 AM
RCGroups Editor
Matt Gunn's Avatar
Thanks

Its not a review, just a news article. If you click the "all articles by this author" at the top right you'll see the news articles Ive done.

Reviews, on the other hand, such as the TrueRC antenna review here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1838117
are what you are referring to. You can click the "all articles by this author" in the same upper right location and see all the reviews Ive done.

The news article is a quick blurb while the review is a full test. They are also given different titles in the forums (News, Review) and located in separate locations on the main page.

Does that help explain it?
Matt
May 23, 2013, 05:56 PM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
brosius85's Avatar
that makes sense!


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Ritewing Mini-Zephyr Jessestr Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 5 Aug 25, 2014 12:50 AM
Sold Zephyr II, Laminate, & Ritewing Motor whiplashWho Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 May 15, 2013 08:29 AM
Sold Ritewing Zephyr II/XL Kit NIB plasmaman FPV Equipment (FS/W) 4 Mar 29, 2013 03:22 PM
Sold Ritewing Mini Zephyr 1.5 airbagit13 FPV Equipment (FS/W) 6 Feb 04, 2013 05:09 PM
Build Log Ritewing Zephyr ZXR by Kloner Kloner FPV Talk 5 Jan 28, 2013 10:18 PM