Jan 15, 2004, 08:13 PM
AZ Outback
Thread OP

F5J EXTREME II Feb15 signup.

Gooday and welcome back gentlemen,

On Feb. 15 the second EXTREME F5J soaring contest will be held.
I advise you to start buying the long underwear, now!

The rules:

1. Any electric sailplane can enter, to fly the following rounds, three 10 minute flights, with one throw out round. If the cold is just to much you would only need to fly two rounds and use those scores.

2. The BIG ONE, motor run time is unlimited but substracted from the flight time. Example, 600 flight pts - 19 motor run pts = 581 total round pts.

3. Landing points 30pts minus one pt per foot from the landing mark. Land 30ft away, zero points.

4. Motor handicap: brushless 95%, brushed Cobalt 75%, Ferrite 45%, and Speed400 30%. Example if you run a Speed 400 for 60 seconds then 60 x .3 = 18 seconds of motor run.

EXTREME POINTS
5. Its Winter and points are given: add one point to the total score for each degree Celsius below freezing 0*C, subtract for each degree above.

6. Any type of battery cell is legal.

The rules are unchanged from EXTREME I except for flight times.

Timers still need two stopwatches, this was easier then I thought it would be. Work out a signal with the pilot, if he is going to restart the motor. (i.e. "restarting.......now...........off")

PLEASE SIGN UP BY FEB. 14 to this thread. CURRENT LIST thread<32>

SIGN UP IS NOW OPEN: please list "your name(or something close), plane, motor, gb ratio, number-make-capacity of cells, wingspan, wt. of your ship, pictures are welcome, yes you can be in them too.

Again if you know someone, who would like to fly, but is not into the Web, you may enter them.

To all of you, the BEST.
Last edited by Robert Burson; Jan 25, 2004 at 09:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2004, 10:49 PM
Probly use:

2.5M Organic, b40 7L, 4.4:1 gb, 16x10 cam, 7x1650 nicds,
Last edited by flyingdogtwo; Apr 26, 2004 at 06:47 AM.
Jan 15, 2004, 10:52 PM
Tragic case
Organic 2.5 or maybe A stork 2E (since the task is longer).
Jan 15, 2004, 11:07 PM
OR

Adriana 2M, Trinity Pro, 4:1 gb, 14x 9.5, 7x cp1300, 46oz.
Last edited by flyingdogtwo; Jan 15, 2004 at 11:19 PM.
Jan 16, 2004, 05:29 AM
AZ Outback
Thread OP
Flyingdogtwo, you are the first to go the ferrite path, I think, is the Trinity motor a ferrite?
Jan 16, 2004, 07:14 AM
(pretty lousey pic)
Yes Robert, it is a motor from the RC car world. The Chameleon Pro (500 size) A 19T motor & cheap combo. Bout $50 for the motor and will pull 40amps with the 14x9.5 prop. Little on the noisy side with the MP gb, but triple the output of a stock (brushed) 500.
With the 50% difference on the handicap, it might be worth a try. Will pull a 2M very nicely. (60 degree)
Last edited by flyingdogtwo; Feb 16, 2004 at 10:42 AM.
Jan 16, 2004, 01:11 PM
OK Bob, are we going to be locked in to what we say that we're planning on using?

Ray
Jan 16, 2004, 01:21 PM
Hope not! Still missing a few parts.
Jan 16, 2004, 04:35 PM
AZ Outback
Thread OP
Ray,

The plane that you list in the sign up gets you into the contest, if something happens that you cannot fly this ship on the day of the contest just send in your scores and the information for the actual ship that you used, the idea is, the times reflect the information on the ship, so other contestants can see how your set-up is working in the real world.
Jan 16, 2004, 06:22 PM
SEFF Contest Director
I'll use my Koleos-E carbon/kevlar pod/boom with V-Tail (with recently added spoilers), 1.85M wingspan, 7 cell 600AE pack, Rocket motor with Cosmotech 4.5:1 GB, AUW 21.5 oz.
Last edited by rcjunkie; Jan 28, 2004 at 10:31 AM.
Jan 17, 2004, 02:46 AM
The rules don't say anything about whether you are allowed to recharge the batteries between rounds or not. What's the answere? Personally I would prefer not to see recharging as it makes it more fun!
Jan 17, 2004, 07:32 AM
AZ Outback
Thread OP
Gooday Stan,

I have not thought about that, if the motors runs average 6 to 20 seconds, whats the point. However, in the States, we are use to recharging, before we do anything. Yes, you may recharge the battery before each round. This helps us justify spending ridiculous amounts of money on chargers.
Jan 17, 2004, 09:06 AM
robert...this came upon F5J EXTREME 1. were the 8,10,12 minute tasks in order or the pilot's choice? no problem this time with 3/10's....ken
Jan 17, 2004, 09:17 AM
AZ Outback
Thread OP
Hi Ken,

Mike and I did 8,10,12. This is what usually happens in unlimited sailplane events. If you were in a group, then I would have gone with the pilot declares before he flys. Sometimes group pressure to get all your flights in, puts you in air, you don't really like. If that is the case then I would recommend the declare method.

In EXTREME III if the times change, I will make sure, this is covered, good spot.
Jan 17, 2004, 11:16 AM
Robert,

Thank you for your reply. The point is that if you do not allow charging between rounds then the pilot has to balance motor use in the early rounds against making sure that he has enough battery power left to fly all three rounds. This sorts the men from the boys!

In U.K. we fly our Electroslot comps. to the BEFA (British Electric Flight Association) rules, which have been developed over about ten years. The rules requires competitors to fly 5 rounds of 12 minutes each with a maximum of 1 minute motor run for each round. The motor can be used intermittently at any time during the 12 minutes providing that the total motor time of 1 minute is not exceeded, if it is the competitor is disqualified from that round! Landing bonuses are given for landing in a marked circle depending on how far the model comes to rest from the centre.

This means that you not only have to fly well to find lift and then land accuratly but you also have to balance this with the use of the motor. Most people here use GP3300's to give them the 5 mins motor run required.

I think it would make for a more interesting and exacting contest if you were to adopt something similar for your event. Let me know what you think.

Quick Reply