This thread is privately moderated by Jack Crossfire, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 17, 2013, 03:29 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Every inch of this thing has been hard won.

Once the motors were wound & the fabrication done, the electromagnetic interference began. There was 6V AC on all the aluminum parts, from induction. It completely jammed out I2C. Thus began the slow process of nailing down all sources of electromagnetic interference.

Grounding all the aluminum got it part way. Using a shielded cable for I2C got it part way. Standing off the IMU from the aluminum was the last step before this round of interference was put down, but there will be more.

I2C is using a 4.7k pullup. They're probably using 1k in the commercial ones & much lower motor current. The commercial ones still have I2C on very long wire runs.

Roll is 0.3A. Pitch is 0.4A. Yaw is 0.2A. That DT700 with 130 turns of 0.2mm produces lots of torque. It might be good enough for a DSLR with a small lens. Brushless gimbals with DSLR's have been unimpressive, since they're only shown with small lenses. Neither did the Movi demo reel have any telephoto footage. It may not be stable enough for a long lens.

It's many weeks away from a handheld timelapse. To make it practical, it's going to take 1k pullups, variable PWM based on battery voltage, analog joystick inputs.
Last edited by Jack Crossfire; May 17, 2013 at 03:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply