This thread is privately moderated by N827TM, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 16, 2013, 02:11 AM
Mansell Models
Thread OP
Build Log

Carl Goldberg Eagle II Twin "Franky D"

Early last year, I acquired two Eagle II boxes and a fuselage. However, I did not inventory the contents of the two boxes until Dec. 2012. Initially I thought there were two kits, unfortunately, there were not even enough parts to complete one kit. I found what was missing and 60 dollars later, I had parts to finish the kit. As popular as the Eaglet 50, 63 and Eagle II Trainers are, I decided, I did not want another trainer. I already have one, and a couple more kits in the shop.

Back in the mid 90's it was a fascination of mine to create a twin from a Goldberg Eagle II. I figured now I have the opportunity to do it. Next, I finally had to make a few decisions, Did i want to leave it a high wing or convert it to a low wing? Did I want flaps? Did I want retracts. I did a few things to help make the decision. I decided to cad the basic design of the airplane and move components (wing and tail) around until I found what I liked. I decided converting it to a low wing twin, with retracts and flaps.

The name "Franky D" came from a friend (Ben). My friend Dustin reignited the spark to start this project as he had done the same thing with a couple different ARF trainers. His trainer was called the Frankin Twin, as the wing and fuse were from different kits. So, I copied the name Frankin Twin, although my components are all from the Eagle Two. When Ben heard I was doing retracts and flaps, he then called it the Frankin Twin Deluxe, and the name "Franky D" was born.

I ended up doing some big mods to get it to this point. I cut the nose off from the firewall forward and redesigned the nose to accommodate a nose wheel retract. I cut wing saddles into the fuselage for the low wing. I then added a roof that blended into the fuselage.

When I built the wing I added flaps, retracts and lights. I also did a lot of sheeting on top and bottom. I also fiberglassed the two wing halfs together after I put in the spar jointer.

The rest of the pictures will show the progress of the build. On August 20, 2013, I maiden the Franky D. It flew awesome. Here is the link to the video.

Franky D maiden flight (5 min 23 sec)

Cheers,

Tom
Last edited by N827TM; Aug 22, 2013 at 08:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 26, 2013, 05:56 PM
Suspended Account
Great build and plane. No shortage of power there!
Aug 29, 2013, 01:19 PM
Who would have though it made for a handsome twin??
Nice work

Quick Reply