New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2001, 06:52 PM
Find More Posts by Acer

Has Anyone Ever Built One of These?

I found this while searching for flying wing HLG's. Has anyone built one? Does it look like it would be a competitor with traditional HLG's? http://members.ozemail.com.au/~flyingwing/herks.htm
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2001, 05:11 PM
Find More Posts by MikeC
I had a few emails with Herk about this. While he told me that it was a nice sailplane, he also said that no flying wing type would ever match the performance of a conventional tailed model as far as thermal duration sailplanes are concerned. I have built several hlg type wings, one the highly touted co7 handlaunch, and they are not close. On the slope they are fun though.

Mike
Old Dec 01, 2001, 08:16 PM
Find More Posts by plinse
I have once build a small flying wing which is very similar to the one. It also has -8 twist and a similar airfoil. It workes quite well but for me it is just a slope glider which is not competative compared to my normal competition - HLG's. Compared to some of the simple HLG's (which have a similar wingloading) it depends on the pilot which plane works better . In my oppinion a flying wing is easier to handle in thermals. There is a small sketch and description of my version on my homepage. (switch to english->RC-Models->planes->my gliders->small self made Flying Wing)

Eike
Old Dec 01, 2001, 09:27 PM
Find More Posts by MikeC
Stunning SAL sailplane, Eike.
Old Dec 02, 2001, 05:38 AM
Find More Posts by plinse
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeC
Stunning SAL sailplane, Eike.
Thanks Mike,

it is a molded wing made of a fiberglass rohacell sandwich. As it is the first one with quadroflaps we have build I would change very few things next time but you have the same setup options as you have with a F3B plane and that is really great. It is worth spending the extra weight for 2 more servos.

Eike