kiwi power!
Thread OP
Mini-Review

The unbiased Hubsan X4 V2 (H107L) Review thread

The Hubsan X4 V2 review
[/CENTER]

Preflight

Hey guys,

You know that I'm not the biggest fan of Hubsan for various reasons, but in the interest of providing fair and unbiased reviews for the community, I've accepted Banggood's offer that was made to me tonight to review the revised version of the Hubsan X4.
In the X4 review, I found the X4 to be a well engineered, well programmed quad with drop-dead gorgeous looks. Although I don't really care for the company, the quad is among one of my favorites (being the QR1 Ladybird, the RC EYE One and the HiSky FF120).

I'm quite amazed at the amount of changes Hubsan is bringing to the X4 V2. In writing this review, I hope to reveal whether these changes are really for the better, or just a gimmick.
This review was written on 5/31/2013 and is accurate per my findings; if you have any questions or comments, please let me know via this thread or the PM system on RCGroups.
Special thanks goes to Jacky and the Banggood team for providing the review sample and supporting my fair and unbiased reviews as always.

From the hangar

Contents:
1X X4 quadcopter (27g empty 37g flight ready)
1X 4 Channel 2.4GHz transmitter 
1X 3.7V 240mah battery
1X USB Charger
1X Well written manual
EXTRA PROPS!
***The prop removal tool is NOT included in the RTF packages***

The cockpit

Visually and functionally, the transmitter that came with the X4 V2 is pretty much the same as the original V1. I've never flown out of radio range with the X4 before but the claimed added range is a nice bonus.

To flip the original X4, there was the stick command in which you give an opposite aileron/elevator command first before pushing the stick to maximum deflection towards the intended flip direction. Hubsan has added a function in which you could disable the flip function altogether by clicking the throttle column.

Another difference is that the lights can be activated/turned off using the throttle trim. Click the down throttle trim for more than a second and it turns the lights on and off whilst retaining the throttle trim function at the same time. This is a nice power saving function for those of you who don't really fly at dusk/night.

Stick feel is pretty good, though the throttle does not feel as linear as it was on the original. It requires a bit more than half throttle to hover, but push it past the hovering throttle setting and you'll notice that the V2 has plenty of power to climb out.

The aircraft

Externally, the most visible change to the whole Hubsan X4 V2 package is the addition of LED bulbs on by each of the motors; blue in front and white behind.

That said, there is more than meets the eyes. Other changes include re-designed props to reduce the gap on the motor shaft, rubber “feet” beneath the motor pods to also protect the motors, a PCB guard to prevent damage caused by battery installation and an optional protective ring is also available for those of you who fly indoors.

The old board had a cylindrical crystal that was quite fragile, this issue is also addressed in the V2 with a flat crystal that is solidly attached to the board. Another strengthening feature is that the X4 V2 frame is made of a different material than its predecessor, and is much more robust according to the manufacturer (though it doesn't seem to be visually different).

One last point, the prop hubs are a tiny bit deeper (by 1.8mm I believe) and the re-designed hub makes breaking the motors due to inverted landings a thing of the past. That said, it does seem to be equally as fragile if not more so than the original. I would suggest you pick up a lot of extra props for the V2 because I've been flying the thing for only a day and I've bent 2 of the 4 props. I've successfully bent them back but I don't think they would hold for much longer.

[B]
The flight
The Hubsan X4 V2 review (3 min 47 sec)
Along with its gorgeous outline, the original X4's stable yet agile flight characteristics definitely contributed to its amazing success.

The flight characteristics of the V2 seems to be very similar to that of the original X4. It doesn't seem to notice the 3 grams of extra equipment, in that there is no noticeable difference in the throttle, rudder, aileron and elevator response; the X4 V2 seems to yaw a little bit flatter than the V1. I would describe the flight input reaction as very digital/ robotic.

In terms of durability, the re-designed props really do a good job of protecting the motor shafts; the arms didn't split quite as often either, which was a very welcomed change.

Flips seem to be a bit more un-natural when compared to the original X4...the V2 does what I can only best describe as “hesitate” when the quad is close to being inverted. This makes it drop a bit of altitude compared to the flat flips of the original X4. If you increase the travel to 100%, it makes it a bit better but there is still quite a bit of altitude loss when compared to the original, I really recommend full throttle climbs before you attempt to flip in order to complete a flip in the smallest amount of altitude.

The V2 also seems to lose its gyro calibration a little more frequently than the original X4, I find myself landing every once in a while (several times per flight) to recalibrate the gyros.

At night, the LEDs do a decent job of illuminating the arms and the underside of the props. This allows for added visibility when compared to its night-flying counterparts. As you could probably tell from my avatar, I'm very, very happy that the X4 V2 is equipped with these LEDs. For those of you who do not have experience flying at night, make sure you start off with nice and low rates as aircraft do seem to move faster at night (visually speaking).

Maintenance

Working on the X4 V2 is definitely not easy for those of you who have big hands like mine. From the factory, all of the wires are precision soldered and trying to replace a LED or a motor requires de-soldering and re-soldering multiple connections just to free the board. I really hope that the motors last, because I am not looking forward to the day where I'll have to replace and re-wire one. It definitely looks much harder to do than the original (Hubsan: add connectors!).

If you are looking to buy a new set of props, these X4 V2 props are slightly longer and feature the motor protector so make sure you don't purchase the wrong ones (though I'm told the old ones would work as well).

Conclusion

In terms of what the X4 V2 brings to the whole Micro quadcopters scene, it really isn't a big giant leap as much as a small step over what the original X4 had to offer. Annoyances were solved and little refinements were added here and there. I think for those of you who have not purchased the X4 just yet, you should definitely look into getting the X4 V2 to save yourself some of the problems that the original quad had. If you have the X4 already, I think it's really up to you to see if the extra lighting and enhancements are worth the investment.

With variations of the X4 popping up like mushrooms after rain (clones, re-brands, Micro-SD based video variants, FPV versions etc.), making the right choice is difficult. I really think that the V2 lives up to the hype and is a worthy candidate to your quad selection process.

Well, I hope that this review provides a little insight for you guys into the X4 V2. I am pretty happy with it and fingers crossed Hubsan would start taking care of their customers. They already have a very admirable engineering team and I think the only thing they lack (a lot) is their service. I don't think many, if any, companies have survived for a long time without taking good care of their customers!

Again, special thanks goes to Jacky and the Banggood.com team for their constant support of my fair and unbiased reviews. I also would like to thank you for taking the time to read this review!

Pros & Cons

Pros
+ ++Numerous improvements over the original X4
+ Night-flying capabilities thanks to the LEDs
+ Software changes to the TX (anti-flip mode etc).
+ Great flight characteristics

Cons
- Lack of customer support (Banggood, on the other hand, would take good care of you though)
- Altitude loss with flips
- Accelerometer recalibration required more frequently than the X4
- Props are more fragile than those on comparative models
- Difficult to maintain

If you are interested in picking one up, the X4 V2 is available here (banggood.com)

**Cheers to Lard4Hire, who found a coupon for us**
"Banggood has a coupon for 5% off for RC Helicopter (code: he1234)"
Last edited by jameschen072; Jan 22, 2014 at 02:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2013, 09:53 AM
kiwi power!
Thread OP
Guys, my friend Heli Pad wrote a review on the X4 V2 as well... really honest and well written: link. For those of you interested in a second opinion, here it is!

*Spare batteries

Jacky was kind enough to put an extra battery in the package for me to evaluate. It's a 380mAh 3.7V lipo with a 25C discharge rate...with a LOT of punch!!
That said, it does weigh a bit more and requires a higher throttle setting... it is great if you need longer flight times though and if you like sudden full throttle climbs
Last edited by jameschen072; Jul 22, 2013 at 02:44 AM.
May 15, 2013, 10:11 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
Hi James,
I am also looking forward to your flight review.
I see that you can turn the LEDs on and off by the throttle trim switch. They also indicate LVC by blinking even if they are initially turned off.
Those are all very nice improvements
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
May 15, 2013, 10:20 AM
kiwi power!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins
Hi James,
I am also looking forward to your flight review.
I see that you can turn the LEDs on and off by the throttle trim switch. They also indicate LVC by blinking even if they are initially turned off.
Those are all very nice improvements
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Hey Jim,
Cheers man, I'm quite excited about reviewing the X4 V2! I've added what you said to the first post (thanks) and yes, they are very nice improvements indeed!
Now, the waiting game... I really need to work on my patience..
May 15, 2013, 03:57 PM
Critic at Large
I have to say that I love my Hubsan(s).

I had a love-hate affair with my first one because I didn't know how to fly and otherwise mod and use it.

But now......I love the thing! I was outside today in 15mph winds having a blast with the thing - flipping it, etc.

Not to put ideas in your head, but if this is an improved version, it is probably going to deserve very high marks. One main point, though, is that this is a much better 2nd quad than a first one!
May 15, 2013, 06:56 PM
kiwi power!
Thread OP
It probably is going to get higher marks than the X4 indeed, but I really can't comment on that without the quad in my hands... I really hope it is though!
The X4 is a terrific quad indeed, I still have one complete and one as a parts donor on my hands... I look forward to introducing the X4 V2 into my fleet!
May 16, 2013, 08:05 AM
I am now on my third X4 airframe, but it has lasted a long time now that I've done all the beef-up mods.

I would welcome one that is a little more robust.
May 16, 2013, 07:55 PM
kiwi power!
Thread OP
Hopefully the new materials used would increase the durability factor, from what I know, Banggood has no idea when it will arrive on their shelves ready for purchase so you might just have to fly your beefed up originals for a bit longer
May 29, 2013, 05:16 AM
kiwi power!
Thread OP
After a delay of epic proportions, the X4 V2 is on its way!
May 29, 2013, 12:47 PM
Nice to hear. Can't wait to read your opinion about this little bird!
May 29, 2013, 01:01 PM
Decomposing and tearin' it up!
Woohoo!

Epic proportions?
May 29, 2013, 10:08 PM
kiwi power!
Thread OP
Yup, it was supposed to be in my hands a few weeks ago... oh well, better later than never right?

I'm looking forward to flying it!
May 31, 2013, 11:57 AM
kiwi power!
Thread OP
Well guess what I got yesterday?

yup.

The review has been written, now I'll have to get the pictures and the video taken

Stay tuned
May 31, 2013, 12:07 PM
Decomposing and tearin' it up!
Too right, all good things come to those who wait and all that

Look forward to your review! Although mine will be here tomorrow any first impressions? Looks great on the pic.
May 31, 2013, 02:24 PM
Commoon give us some impressions
By the way: nice cover, good job!

Quick Reply