Cutty Sark RC - Page 8 - RC Groups
Jan 10, 2018, 08:44 AM
Retired for now
Thanks Jerome. It's another year shot to heck.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2018, 09:54 AM
Kraut
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale
Oh ya, your such a smart ass now. That's all I need is a senorita. I can't hardly afford myself never mind somebody else. Today is my 76th birthday and I'd much rather have a 1965 Pontiac Bonneville convertible. It would cost a whole lot less than a new car and way less than a senorita. Any snow yet or are the woods still on fire?
Happy birthday my friend.

Jup, good choice on the Pontiac, but than you have to find out how to use that needle thingy.

5.6 mm rain last night and now it is snowing like crazy, about time.
Jan 10, 2018, 11:00 AM
Retired for now
Thanks for the good wishes Gue. Glad you got some rain and now the snow will help a lot too. The "needle thingy" is a sewing machine. I always had my sister sew sails for me in the past but she says she's sick of that and won't do it anymore. Ha! So since I have an old sewing machine from back when I was running a second hand store I've decided that I will learn how to use it and make my own sails. It looks easy enough but I have no idea how the machine works. Have to figure that out first. Maybe make sails for orher people too if I can do this right. Maybe sew my finger to the sail too. Ha!
Jan 10, 2018, 12:08 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks

Sewing

If there is a JoAnne's store nearby, they (perhaps a nice young lady) will help you out with that machine!
Or show up at the local quilting club.

BP
Jan 10, 2018, 03:59 PM
Retired for now
Several ladies have said they could teach me so I don't think that will be a problem.
Mar 07, 2018, 08:28 PM
Retired for now
I have learned after three serious falls with my other two Cutty Sark boats that it's a rule of physics that says when a square rigged ship model falls off a six foot high cabinet or shelf it WILL land up side down on the masts and rigging. Such was the case with the two models that I had to repair last year. One of then fell twice. So now I'm building another Cutty Sark (I'm a glutton for punishment) much bigger than the two Revell kits at four feet long to the end of the bowsprit (this thread) and I've been trying to design a way to hang the yards so they are really good and strong so that when this boat falls (never say never) the yards won't break away from the masts and tear the rigging up. So here's what I came up with. Oops! Gotta go load the pictures first. Be right back. Damned Photobucket is sooooo slow.

Two brass rings are laid around the yard and soldered. Two pieces of 1/16 brass wire are bent,soldered together and the long shank is bent to 90 degrees. A brass tube is slipped over the shank and soldered. The other ends of the wire yoke are pressed into the yard through holes drilled through the brass rings and soldered to the rings.

Next I cut another brass tube the next size up to hold the yoke shank and allow it to swivel back and forth

Next the mast cap is ground down (filed) to a curve (round file) to accept the larger piece of tubing. The two are soldered together.

Had to get a stronger soldering iron for this. The vise absorbed too much of the heat.

The bottom sail on each mast has this arrangement. The brass tube was fitted around the mast and the outer tube for the yoke was soldered to the mast band. Then the yoke shank and tube are slipped down into the larger tube with a bit of vasalene on it to make moving the yard back and forth easier. In this picture the smaller tube is only partway into the larger tube to show what's going on.

The last picture shows the second sail up on the fore mast and the other two masts will be just like it. These yokes are way out of scale for this boat but with all the rigging and the sails on they will be hard to see. I hope they don't break.

So there ya go. My answer to the wimpy yokes that are provided in the kit. two more to go on the mizzen mast and then I can get going with the sails. Pete
Last edited by norgale; Mar 07, 2018 at 09:48 PM.
Mar 10, 2018, 09:40 AM
Kraut
Nice job
Mar 10, 2018, 10:39 AM
Retired for now
Looks a bit clunky now but after all the rigging is attached it should look mo betta. How's it going Gue? Don't hear much from you anymore. What are you up to these days?
Mar 10, 2018, 02:49 PM
It's a fine fiddly business.
Clever bit of work.
Robert

Quick Reply