Cutty Sark RC - Page 5 - RC Groups
Jul 14, 2013, 12:36 AM
Taking care of the pond.
Looking good.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2013, 03:51 AM
Keep up the good work Pete . ....coming along just fine.
Jul 21, 2013, 03:56 PM
Retired for now
So I been sanding and sanding and sanding until now I think the hull is smooth enough. You can't hide all the plank lines anyway so best to just let 'em be. Primer is on and sanded lightly and one coat of the gloss black and then the rattle can went dry. Just as well as there are a lot more things to do on the hull before I can start on the masts and rigging and the paint will just get all dinged up anyway so I'll leave the final coats of black until later.
The deck was all one piece but didn't fit well after the planking so I cut it in half and also cut out the openings for the RC gear inside. These openings will be hidden by deck cabins so this worked out ok. The steering servo is in place but not screwed down yet. Need to make a brass yoke for the rudder and maybe sand down the stern bulkhead for the wires to the servo. That is all hidden by the upper deck
Anyway heres a couple of pics for you. Pete
Name: Cutty Sark Rc 001.jpg
Views: 77
Size: 215.5 KB
Description: Black paint shows a few dings here and there.

Name: Cutty Sark Rc 002.jpg
Views: 87
Size: 215.3 KB
Description: Deck gets covered with planks si the split down the middle won't show.

Name: Cutty Sark Rc 003.jpg
Views: 95
Size: 280.0 KB
Description: Servo is under the rear cabin and the motors have a hatch over them for access.
Jul 27, 2013, 04:10 PM
Retired for now
This week I've worked on the fantail. The curve at the stern is too sharp to run planks horizontal so verticle strips are called for. With the upper fantail deck in place I glued the bottom of the verticle planks to the bottom only after the bottom area was sanded to the proper angle. The first layer of boards is balsa wood and the second layer is bass wood. Sanding the boards down even with the rest of the sheerline brought the top edge into line. With the hull upside down the sanding of the lower edge of the planks will bring the bottom edge in line with the line of the hull. Once all the sanding and shaping are done the new wood will be coated with a diluted solution of epoxy to seal the wood against water penetration. This is especially important for the balsa on the inside. Then a hatch has to be made through the fantail top deck for access to the steering and rudder post. That will be the next project. Pete
Name: Cutty Sark Rc fantail 001.jpg
Views: 77
Size: 211.2 KB
Description: Inside layer of balsa planks.

Name: Cutty Sark Rc fantail 002.jpg
Views: 64
Size: 135.9 KB
Description: Outside layer of basswood planks.

Name: Cutty Sark Rc fantail 003.jpg
Views: 91
Size: 159.7 KB
Description: Top edge is sanded to meet the sheer line.

Name: Cutty Sark Rc fantail 004.jpg
Views: 65
Size: 162.7 KB
Description: Bottom edge sanded to blend with the hull lines.

Name: Cutty Sark RC Fantail 005.jpg
Views: 69
Size: 212.5 KB
Description: A little bit of plastic wood putty goes a long way. Nice and smooth now.
Last edited by norgale; Jul 27, 2013 at 07:57 PM.
Jul 29, 2013, 07:58 PM
Retired for now
Got the fantail sanded and a coat of primer and one coat of paint on. Some more sanding will be needed but it's looking ok for now.
Next comes the really,really boring part. Putting on the copper plates.
Name: Cutty Sark fantail 001.jpg
Views: 71
Size: 177.5 KB
Description:

Name: Cutty sark RC copper plates 001.jpg
Views: 178
Size: 328.9 KB
Description:
Jul 29, 2013, 10:23 PM
Pete, you had to smash a lot of pennies to come up with that pile.

XXX
Jul 30, 2013, 09:20 AM
Retired for now
Ha! I didn't but somebody did. I tried some of these last night and this is going to be a bad project. These stupid little things are a pain in the youknow. Pete
Jul 30, 2013, 01:05 PM
I'm not up on this subject .........where do you get copper plates w / holes in them ?? .
Jul 30, 2013, 01:19 PM
Retired for now
They come with the kit, about a Brazillion of them. You get to glue each one on one at a time. They prolly all fall off the first time the boat goes in the water. Pete
Jul 30, 2013, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale
They come with the kit, about a Brazillion of them. You get to glue each one on one at a time. They prolly all fall off the first time the boat goes in the water. Pete
Just more to add to the artificial coral reef.
Aug 01, 2013, 06:08 PM
Retired for now
At the Norgale Shipyard and Brain Surgery it has been decided that there will NOT be any stupid little copper plates on the hull of the Cutty Sark. It's just too time consuming and tedious to glue all those tiny plates on the hull so we will just let the toredo worms have at it. Meantime the bottom has been painted green because that's what we had for paint. At the NS and BS we have to do with what we have on hand. Head Knocker Pete
Name: Cutty Sark RC hull paint 001.jpg
Views: 136
Size: 263.2 KB
Description: What you see is what you get. Ha!
Aug 01, 2013, 08:11 PM
Let's see , no sails , no copper plates
Perhaps this should be called a CUTTY SNARK
As always, respectfully submitted .
XXX
Aug 07, 2013, 12:10 PM
Retired for now
Name: Cutty Sark RC stern decks 001.jpg
Views: 110
Size: 285.7 KB
Description:

Name: Cutty Sark RC stern decks 002.jpg
Views: 141
Size: 304.6 KB
Description:

Name: Cutty Sark RC stern decks 003.jpg
Views: 80
Size: 257.8 KB
Description:

Name: Cutty Sark RC stern decks 004.jpg
Views: 100
Size: 232.7 KB
Description:
Ya! No kidding either. I'm gonna rename this model "The NoNo". Ha! Anyway I got a little more done with the stern decks area and am working on getting the steering hooked up. The deck has been cut and the deck house is set so that both can be removed to get to the steering gear. Reconfiguring these things takes time so it's slow going for now. Even the lifeboats are plank on frame models. A few pics for you to look at. Pete
Last edited by norgale; Aug 07, 2013 at 12:17 PM.
Aug 07, 2013, 01:18 PM
Thomas Armstrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale
I am working on getting the steering hooked up.
Just an idea: steering would me more effective if you can control the speed of propellers separately.
Aug 07, 2013, 01:36 PM
Retired for now
The rudder steering will be separate from the speed control on the props. It will only take a two channel Tx to run it. I thought about having the props independently controlled too but decided not to go that route. Takes two ESC for that and I only have one. Thanks for your interest in my build. Pete

Quick Reply