Cutty Sark RC - Page 3 - RC Groups
May 26, 2013, 07:53 AM
Retired for now
Wonder if there's enough room in one of these to build boats?

http://hosting.fyleio.com/13454/publ...any1014653.jpg
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2013, 03:34 PM
Kraut
http://www.hobby-lobby-modellbau.com...73ecaf972f3c00

look at those.

http://www.hobby-lobby-modellbau.com...att-A-Typ.html

M2 is 2 mm, your 3/32 is about 2.23 mm so you probably could get a 3/32 thread into the prop.
3/4 inch is 19mm the prop are 20mm you could probably take a mm of the prop.
Last edited by Schrott; May 26, 2013 at 03:40 PM.
May 26, 2013, 09:14 PM
Retired for now
That looks perfect Schrott. How much is E10.50 and do you have any idea how much the shipping would be? The 20mm would fit I think but I can grind the fins down if I have to. Also four blades will be better that three. If they are brass ,which I think they are, a threaded steel rod could cut the threads no problem. Pete
May 26, 2013, 09:17 PM
Retired for now
Looks like 10 Eu equals about $13 US. That's a super price for four bladed props. Pete
May 27, 2013, 08:57 AM
Kraut
let me know pete and I set it up. shiping should be not very much they could go in a bubble envelope.

No we never got enough snow, not even close, the outlook is rather bad.
Even that I measured a total of 6 feet, but the ground was so dry it sucked it up like a sponge hardly any run off. Mc Phee is 100 feet down, the lowest since the dam was built, it might get to 85%.
Of the 5 ponds I have on the place 3 are dry and the big one looks like late August.
I would not be surprised if we have a record fire season.
It was cold this year -30 in January and yesterday we made for the first time 80.
All plants are very late, snow berry just started blooming, they normally do that beginning of May. Lots of hungry bears out in the forest. Had a 400 pounder rearranging my porch the other day, and he stole all of Dumpsters beautiful deer bones he had dragged in from the forest, Dumpster is pissed
Last edited by Schrott; May 27, 2013 at 09:05 AM.
May 27, 2013, 09:58 AM
Retired for now
That's really bad Schrott. Can't believe the water is down that much. Is That lake McPhee? Doesn't look like your pond at all. Poor Dumpster. Guess he better bring his bones in the house. Aren't you afraid the bears will get the dogs? I'd be scared to death that my dog would get eaten. She would walk right up to a bear and say hi. She has no idea of what a predator would be to her.
I'll get back to you on the props. Can't spend any money right now since I
'm unemployed again. Couldn't I just order right off the website? Looks like you can with no problem and I can use a debit card. Pete
May 27, 2013, 10:42 PM
Taking care of the pond.
Poor Dumpster.
Jun 02, 2013, 08:52 AM
Retired for now
Yayyyyy! Shrott is back in the game. Be nice now ya crazy kraut so we can see what your up to these days. Pete
Jun 02, 2013, 10:14 AM
Retired for now
Working on the planking for the Cutty Sark but since there's only the planks to show it's pretty boring. This first layer of planks is balsa wood and that dents easily. However after sanding and adding the second layer of lime wood planks the dents and dings won't show. This week the prop shafts will be covered by the planks so there is work to do there. I want to put two sizes of brass tubing over the shaft where it goes through the hull for strength at that point. This way there won't have to be any struts involved. I'll have to make a trip to the local Ace Hardware store to get the size tubing that will be needed. I'm also toying with the idea of making a brass rudder for this ship. The scale rudder isn't very big and a bigger one of the same shape would be better if it doesn't look out of place. Have to experiment with that first. Pete
Jun 02, 2013, 11:59 AM
Since it's an Itallian kit , I'll just say " Ats a nice a kit Pedro" and "You a doin it a nice."
XXX Anonymous
Jun 03, 2013, 12:07 AM
Taking care of the pond.
I like Italian.
Last edited by MILLERTIME; Jun 09, 2013 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Jun 03, 2013, 06:38 AM
Retired for now
Italian planking is just as tedious as any other planking nationality. However the planking is about half done for the first layer and the second layer will go a lot faster once the sanding is completed. The biggest problem is that the plans and instructions are in Italian and other languages. Yes there is a section in English but the translation isn't too good and the builder is left to figure things out for himself. Some details like a few cross sections on the plans would have been very helpful but they don't exist. The manufacturer has rated this kit as ok for beginners but that's just not correct. Without my vast knowledge and experience I would not do very well building it. I'd rate it as 'intermediate' or above if it were up to me, Italian or otherwise. Pete
Last edited by norgale; Jun 03, 2013 at 07:08 AM.
Jun 03, 2013, 08:39 AM
Retired for now
Prop and sail? Here is an example of same. Pete
CUTTY SARK. (7 min 48 sec)
Jun 04, 2013, 07:33 PM
Retired for now
Planks are up to the prop shafts now and one side is going past. The actual prop shaft now has two other tubes soldered over it so the shafts should be good and strong and not vibrate. The props from Schrott should clear the hull side with no problem. Pete
Jun 09, 2013, 05:26 PM
Retired for now
The first layer of planks is now finished. Lots of sanding to do yet but the planks are on. Now is the time to seal the insides with thinned down epoxy too. Had to spile some of the planks as I got toward the end and that was tricky but it wen
it ok. Pete

Last edited by norgale; Jun 09, 2013 at 05:38 PM.

Quick Reply