Cutty Sark RC - RC Groups
May 14, 2013, 10:23 PM
Retired for now
Build Log

Cutty Sark RC

Since I am unemployed and nobody was interested in buying this model I've decide to build it myself. It's designed to be display only but I am going to try and convert it to RC in my usual prompt and efficient manner.
The model is made by Sergal and sold under the Mantua Model Group name in Italy. From the stern to the tip of the bowsprit it's about 45 inches long, 1:78 scale so it's no small ship model. Since the model does not have any sails with it and I haven't found a sail kit for it anywhere I'm thinking of installing a couple of small screws to either side of the stern keel and with a lot of lead weights and hopefully make it a powered ship model just so I can put it in the water and make it go.
So here we go with another Cutty Sark which means "short chemise" in the colloquial English of the day.It is a typical "clipper" ship which means "Fast Horse" also in the English of the day.
The first clippers were built in Baltimore with two masts. The English took it a few steps further and added length and depth to the design and another mast giving us what we call a 'clipper ship' today. Pete
Name: Cutty Sark RC 005.jpg
Views: 133
Size: 300.0 KB
Description: The box. Retail is 0

Name: Cutty Sark RC 006.jpg
Views: 124
Size: 257.8 KB
Description: What's in the box. Everything is laser cut.

Name: Cutty Sark RC 001.jpg
Views: 146
Size: 276.1 KB
Description: Keel, frames and a stiffener for keeping everything straight. Nice touch.

Name: Cutty Sark RC 002.jpg
Views: 119
Size: 215.8 KB
Description: Stern where the props and shafts will go.

Name: Cutty Sark RC 003.jpg
Views: 120
Size: 247.2 KB
Description: Side view.
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2013, 03:45 AM
Kimo
Interested in watching this build
May 15, 2013, 07:10 AM
Love RC Yachts!!!
Yep, me too!
May 15, 2013, 10:50 AM
Retired for now
Now that the frames are glued to the keel I'll have to decide what to do about the props and shafts. The motors will have to go in the first wide area between the frames at the stern. Next the waterline has to be established on the keel and that can be measured off the plans with a compass and the distance transferred to both sides of the keel.
Name: Cutty Sark RC 001.jpg
Views: 103
Size: 254.4 KB
Description: Motors will bed in the wide area at the right.

Name: Cutty Sark RC 003.jpg
Views: 101
Size: 98.5 KB
Description: Stern waterline on the plans.

Name: Cutty Sark RC 004.jpg
Views: 101
Size: 141.1 KB
Description: Bow water line.
Last edited by norgale; May 18, 2013 at 05:58 PM.
May 15, 2013, 11:07 AM
Retired for now
As it turns out the very top edge of the keel is where the waterline is so that gives a handy reference point on both sides of the ship.
Name: Cutty Sark RC 005.jpg
Views: 100
Size: 116.1 KB
Description:

Name: Cutty Sark RC 006.jpg
Views: 98
Size: 225.9 KB
Description:
May 15, 2013, 11:18 AM
Retired for now
The next thing I need is a direct side and direct overhead picture printed out so I have something to draw on. This is where the location and attitude of the motor and shafts will be seen.
Name: Cutty Sark RC 007.jpg
Views: 85
Size: 280.6 KB
Description:

Name: Cutty Sark RC 008.jpg
Views: 84
Size: 174.0 KB
Description:
May 15, 2013, 11:53 AM
Retired for now
Here is the approximate location and angle of the prop shaft. Not sure about how close it will be to the hull sides yet but after I get the motor bed installed I can decide that. The prop needs to be as far back and as close to the rudder as possible since the rudder is very small for a boat this size. We want plenty of water going over the rudder for good steering. Also the shaft wants to go through at least three frames if possible to hold it steady. Maybe need some fairing around the shaft too on the outside of the hull.
Name: Cutty Sark RC 009.jpg
Views: 93
Size: 218.1 KB
Description:
May 15, 2013, 12:36 PM
Retired for now
In this picture the angle of the shaft is established by the top and bottom location of the angle ends and then locating that angle on the outer edge of each frame. The vertical line on each frame was brought forward to each frame from the center of the back frame where the motor will sit with a compass. The horizontal lines were made with a small drafting triangle at the marks on the outside edge of each frame.. Where the vertical lines cross the horizontal lines is where the shaft will go. You can see that the shaft will only go through one frame so the shaft will have to be moved in toward the keel but still at the same angle. I'd like to have the shaft go through three frames if there is enough room for the prop.
Name: Cutty Sark RC 010.jpg
Views: 94
Size: 197.9 KB
Description:
May 15, 2013, 01:05 PM
Retired for now
I didn't want to cut the center brace but in order to get the motor inboard far enough for the shaft to go through three frames it just had to be done.
Name: Cutty Sark RC 011.jpg
Views: 83
Size: 235.3 KB
Description:

Name: Cutty Sark RC 015.jpg
Views: 81
Size: 150.1 KB
Description:
May 15, 2013, 09:18 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Norgale, I don't think making her into an RC sailboat would be much harder than making her into an RC motorboat. You could hide the sail servos (only need 2) under the deckhouses. The rudder servo could be where ever you'd planned on putting it for the motorboat version. The rc design would be similar to my Pamir, but with hidden sail servos.

The biggest challenge, for any operating-model made from a static boat kit, is reducing weight in the hull. You will need to be able to put lead ballast down low in a fin keel. Even a motor version Cutty Sark will have to face this challenge, as the windage of the static masts, yards and rigging will make her tippsy. I've not made a planked model, so you will have to get advice on weight reduction from other modelers over on the Scale Sail forum.

Cutty Sark is a beautiful ship, I'm sure your's will turn out magnificently.

My Pamir:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743611
May 16, 2013, 12:34 AM
Taking care of the pond.
May 16, 2013, 10:29 AM
Retired for now
Brooks your Pamir is beautiful and really looks great on the water. I'm thinking about the ballast and the batteries I want for the motors. I am kicking around the idea of making sails and making them workable but I don't know if I want to go to all that trouble or not. Maybe when I get further along with the build I'll make up my mind. I can't keep cutting the guts out of the hull for servos ect. or I'll lose all the strength from the main horizontal brace between all the frames. I do think your right about the pendulum weight under the hull. Makes a lot of sense and then not so much weight in the hull. The big problem is the high water line. Gonna take a lot of weight just to get to that. In the end this whole thing may not be practicle. Pete
May 17, 2013, 12:45 PM
Retired for now
I have run into a snag with the props and shafts. Where can I get two 3/32" shafts 8" long, with threaded end and props to fit the shafts? I don't seem to be able to find anything that small at the usual suspects. Pete
Last edited by norgale; May 18, 2013 at 10:15 AM.
May 18, 2013, 10:17 AM
Retired for now
No suggestions hey? SO let me ask this, what sized die do I need to thread a 3/32 steel rod for the shaft? Everything is listed in mm or whole numbers and I do not know what they mean. Anybody???? Pete
May 18, 2013, 12:00 PM
Retired for now
Could the moderator of this topic switch my thread to "Scale Sail"? I have obviously put this build under the wrong topic. Pete

Quick Reply